What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello and Help

Peskywabbit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone, been looking for somewhere where I could learn about the iPad and found your forum.

My husband has an iPad 2 which he loves. I love it too, it's a very useful gadget but I'm completely out of my comfort zone with it. I'm much more comfortable with a computer, lol.

My problem is that his iTunes is on a laptop which I want to format. I've tried to work out how to 'save' all his films/music/apps etc. that are in his library (ifthat's the correct term) but I'm compoletely baffled. I've read various things about backing up but don't understand it.

Can anyone tell me what we have to do (in an idiot guide preferably). Are these items saved on the hard drive of the laptop on could I install iTunes on another computer, log in and access the films etc. that way ? Oh, I'm sooo confused. Someone help me please :)

Thanks
Pesky

Last edited:
OP
P

Peskywabbit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This might help you.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/42815-directing-where-backups-saved.html

All you have to do is a ipad backup before you format and also save the backed-up file from the laptop hard drive.

Hi, I read the thread you directed me to and it was very helpful thanks. However, I made the backup from mobilesync and saved it, formatted the computer and re-installed iTunes but the sub-folder 'mobilesync' is no longer there. I'm assuming that I have to copy the backup file in to mobilesync? The only sub-folders under 'apple computer' are iTunes, Logs and Preferences. Can you help please ?'

Thanks

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You may have to do a backup from your newely installed itunes for the mobilesync directory to be created.

Calkid44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Peskywabbit said:
Hello everyone, been looking for somewhere where I could learn about the iPad and found your forum.

My husband has an iPad 2 which he loves. I love it too, it's a very useful gadget but I'm completely out of my comfort zone with it. I'm much more comfortable with a computer, lol.

My problem is that his iTunes is on a laptop which I want to format. I've tried to work out how to 'save' all his films/music/apps etc. that are in his library (ifthat's the correct term) but I'm compoletely baffled. I've read various things about backing up but don't understand it.

Can anyone tell me what we have to do (in an idiot guide preferably). Are these items saved on the hard drive of the laptop on could I install iTunes on another computer, log in and access the films etc. that way ? Oh, I'm sooo confused. Someone help me please :)

Thanks
Pesky

In order to back up all his Itunes info you need to do that on a pretty good size external HD or DVD's, I prefer DVD's as I use my HD (external Hard drive) for movies, music files etc; so i would back it all up on DVD's so when you reformat your PC, afterwards all you need to do is install Itunes and then install each DVD's and your done, no data loss at all

OP
P

Peskywabbit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may have to do a backup from your newely installed itunes for the mobilesync directory to be created.
So I need to connect the iPad to the PC when it will sync, erasing all music, films etc., then do a backup (of an 'empty, iPad) then overwrite the backup file with the original saved backup? Sorry to be so dim but I really don't know much about the iPad and quite frankly I'm scared I'll delete all his films etc. and won't be able to re-install them :-(

Really do appreciate your help :)

P.S. Can you also remind me how to do a backup​

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Without the ipad connected to the computer start itunes on the computer and then click Edit and then go to Preferences and then go to Devices, half way down you will see "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automaticaly" and put a check in the box to the left. Now your iPad won't sync automatically when you connect the ipad to the computer. Now connect the ipad to the computer and in the left column in iTunes right click on the ipad name under Devices and go to Backup and click it. This will create the mobilesync directory then delete the backup it just did and then copy over your good backup. All done. Now if you run your good backup it will erease what films are on the iPad unless they are in your good backup.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Without the ipad connected to the computer start itunes on the computer and then click Edit and then go to Preferences and then go to Devices, half way down you will see "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automaticaly" and put a check in the box to the left. Now your iPad won't sync automatically when you connect the ipad to the computer. Now connect the ipad to the computer and in the left column in iTunes right click on the ipad name under Devices and go to Backup and click it. This will create the mobilesync directory then delete the backup it just did and then copy over your good backup. All done. Now if you run your good backup it will erease what films are on the iPad unless they are in your good backup.

You don't have to do that actually. All that needs to be done to create the mobilesync folder is to manually create it. Then you copy the good backup into it :)

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You don't have to do that actually. All that needs to be done to create the mobilesync folder is to manually create it. Then you copy the good backup into it :)

Hmm Thanks I didn't know you could do it that way.

Most reactions

Latest posts