What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hello all :)

kallstrom_74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought my first ipad 3 16gb wifi, and is thinking to jailbreak it..BUT is not ios 6 coming soon? so when i install that..all of the jailbreak will be gone?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just bought my first ipad 3 16gb wifi, and is thinking to jailbreak it..BUT is not ios 6 coming soon? so when i install that..all of the jailbreak will be gone?

That is true; if you upgrade an iPad jailbroken on iOS 5.1.1 to iOS 6 [when it's first released] - you will lose your jailbreak.

Which is why people with jail broken iPads don't upgrade to the new software. We wait (patiently! :)) for a jail break exploit to be discovered and released for the n iOS version. We've never been disappointed as a jail break is always found. But, like stocks - remember that past performance does not prove future performance. Still, we have high hopes for an iOS 6 jail break...

So, jail break your iPad. If you like the jail break, just wait until a jail break is released for iOS 6. Or, go ahead and upgrade to iOS 6 and wait for a jail break. But - it could be a while. The main thing to remember, as a jailbreaker, is that you will always be an iOS version behind if you wish to keep the jailbreak. So, you will always have the decision to make: Do I like my current set-up or do I want the new upgrade more. it's always a tough call (well, for some - I always choose to wait, regardless :)).

This is a long-winded way of saying - yes, the jailbreak will be gone. So, whether to jail break now or wait until later is in your hands.

Good luck.

Marilyn

P.S. And, since you talk about a jail broken iPad, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

P.P.S. And where are my manners?! Welcome to the forum. It's good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And just to add my 2p, now is a great time to give it a go.

Jailbreak 5.1.1. Try out some of the free tweaks and see how you get on. (lots of good ideas here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/25824-ultimate-list-jailbreak-tweaks.html)

If you don't get on with the jailbreak, no worries. Simply restore to 5.1.1 (or 6.0 when it is released). You won't lose anything unless you choose to purchase some jailbreak tweaks from the Cydia Store and then decide to revert to not being jailbroken. Everything else on your iPad in terms of apps, music, media etc. should work as normal. All app purchases you make when jailbroken are still perfectly valid when not jailbroken. We wouldn't do it otherwise! :D

Most reactions

Latest posts