What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello All! From Guatemala.

Patsj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello All,

My name is Pat and I'm an American living in Guatemala. I have had my iPad for several months now. Got the upgrade yesterday and after some tweaking (and user training) it's workings fine. I love the changes.

I have the Wi-Fi only version and I think that was a mistake; but I"ll remedy that some day when Apple comes out with a new iPad that has a camera.

I am legally blind and am unable to read, drive or do many of the things I used to do. There are many aids for people like me, but the iPad is the one I use the most. There are things it can't do like read a menu in a restruaant or drive my car for me, but it has given me back many things that I thought I had lost. It has given me a much richer world, better quality of life, assistance with many things that had become too difficult to do and I keep finding more things it can do. The wealth and breath of apps are amazing.

Apple has tried hard to make the iPad accessible to the visually disabled and though there are things I might have done differently, it really is amazing how much more easy using technology has become for me.

Oh yeah, this is my first Apple product ever. I've heard many others say it, and I too, am in love with my iPad!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes it's great to hear you're enjoying it and that helps enrich your life.
Thanks for posting.

Actually it might be helpful for some forum members if you could tell us which apps or settings you have found most useful. That's if it's not too much trouble.

Jesse724

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3G coverage and cost in Guatemala?

Hi Pat,
I saw your post and have a couple questions for you. I am moving to Antigua in two weeks for work, and am considering getting the ipad wifi w/ 3g because I will be traveling outside of Antigua and Guate Ciudad for about 50% of my time. Do you know how and how well the 3G capability works in Guatemala? I assume I would have to pay a local data plan to run off their cell towers, but have no clue how good the coverage is or how much I might end up paying for access. Any idea? For me, it is impractical to maintain a US plan with AT&T with international coverage.

Glad you like your ipad. I am not an apple user either, but this seems like an amazing product.

Best,
Jesse

OP
Patsj

Patsj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, wehave 3G

Hi Jesse,

I only have the wifi version, so I don't know the quality of the 3g network. But both major cell phone companies have data plans. Before I had left on a vacation to the states, during which I purchased the iPad, I checked on the prices and they seems very high to me. I think the unlimited data and voice was nearly 80 US dollars a month. That seemed [FONT=&quot]ridiculously[/FONT] expensive to me and after living in China and here where everything is so cheap I just couldn't bring myself to pay that, but I'm not working and don't *need* the iPad for work.

That said, I regret getting just the wifi version. I have had several occasions where I would have used my iPad if I had 3G capability.

If I had it to do over again, and money was an issue, I would gladly sacrifice some memory to get the 3g version. I have tons of stuff on my iPad and it's only half full.

The two major cellular carriers are CLARO and TIGO, both have websites, but they are in Spanish. If you speak Spanish, then you won't have any problems figuring out their plans and charges. I don't speak or read it that well but could still stumble around the website enough to figure out the information I wanted. Claro sells the iPhone and has a special iPhone (very expense) plan. But I don't think you need that plan, you just need the 3G for data and both companies have 3G networks.

The phone network here uses SIM cards and you can buy very cheap phones almost anywhere. It costs 20Q (about $2.50) to get a SIM card. Then if you don't want to get a contract, you can just buy time as you need it. Phone cards are for sell everywhere.

I imagine that the cell coverage is excellent in Gat City as like Antigua, it is surrounded by mountains and volcanoes. They don't have as many rules as the US about putting up cell towers. So they seem to put them up anywhere they need them.

Let me know if want any other info, or if you have trouble with the cell companies websites. I can get you more detailed info.

I think you'll love the iPad, it's a great tool and really alot of fun.

Have you been to Guatemala before?

Pat

Most reactions

Latest posts