What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heavy Excel User need advice on IPAD

donnymarie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

considering buying Ipad for its portability & its suitability for Real Estate business.

However, need to confirm that I will be able to:
- use some apps that has Excel functions
- edit/sort/filtering/print Excel data in IPAD.

Plse give all advice/comments ... appreciated.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Short answer. Don't give up your Windows laptop. "Numbers" is Apple's spreadsheet "equivalent" to Excel. Unfortunately, even the version available for MacOS devices is not nearly as functional for professional use as Excel. And the version for the iPad is an even more limited version. There are Excel emulators (Documents to Go, Quick Office HD, and most recently CloudOn) but none provides equivalent functionality for complex formulas or, in some cases, even fairly common functions.

There are persistent rumors that Microsoft is developing a version of its Office suite for iOS devices. However, those remain rumors and even if they're true, the software is unlikely to be available until sometime later this year.. I'm guessing that the best case scenario is sometime in the second or third quarter of the year. In addition, like "Numbers," Excel on the iPad is likely to lack features that are available in the Windows version of the software.

None of this is to say that the iPad with one of the software packages cited above will NOT meet your requirements. But before giving up your laptop, I'd recommend you test the iPad rather extensively. By the way, you may also want to look into whether the web pages you use in your business support Safari. A number of more specialized web-based applications limit their support to Internet Explorer or currently require support for Flash.

OP
D

donnymarie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi jsh1120,

Thank you for your advice. Will check on 'Numbers' first.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi jsh1120,

Thank you for your advice. Will check on 'Numbers' first.

Yes do that and also take a look at QuickOffice HD. Its a complete office suite but the Excel app is my favorite. Its slick and works great. Now, whether it has all you'll need is up to you to determine. If you have questions about its features or if you want me to check and see if a certain feature exists, drop me a Private Message and I'll be glad to help.

JDykes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just started using Quick Office HD Pro, as I needed to find a better way to work with large excel files. I have found it to be better then numbers but was hoping to be able to sort and filter. It doesn't look like that is possible. Does anyone know if this type of advanced fuctionality is either available or on the horizon with this or other apps?

Thanks,
John

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
QuickOffice HD is very rudimentary. I have a spreadsheet with a SUMIF calculation that does not work in QuickOffice. If you are just using very simple calculations, then it's OK. However, it costs too much for what little you get.

I use CloudOn and am very impressed and happy with it. It's the closest thing to Excel that I've found. The price is right too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Onlive Desktop Plus. You will be using the real Excel. You will have a windows desktop on your iPad...downside is you need an Internet connection.

Most reactions

Latest posts