What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HealthKit App

Jwklinck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone understand how Apple keeps the data for this app and where it is? I thought it was backed up with your backups thru iCloud. I recently did a restore and after the full restore (everything else can back) but the Health app had no data I. It that I had previously put in. There don't seem to be any specific setting in the app or in setting relating to backup so I thought it should be automatic.

Seems like a poor capability if you use this to capture health data but it is not maintaining a backup.

Jim Klinck

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apparently your Health data only gets backed up if you choose the encryption option. Apple is forcing you to protect yourself, probably not for your sake but because the health industry has strict privacy guidelines they must follow.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5262

An encrypted backup requires a password when you restore your device; which is why I'm guessing you can't use iCloud to backup your Health data. That and it places even more responsibility for it's security if the data is on their servers.

You'll have to use iTunes on a computer if you want your Health data backed up. At least for now. I expect Apple will remedy this, eventually, but I wouldn't dare guess when. It could take another iOS version before they decide iCloud will meet the health care privacy standard: HIPA (Healthcare Information Privacy Act) or something like that.

Anyway, that's how I'm reading the linked support page.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I was just playing around the Health app, and I found that you can export the data as a couple of zipped xml files. I could not find a way to re-import the file, but I expect there will be tools and/or apps later.

To find the export option, select the Health Data button, the All category, then tap the action icon at the top right. Even with my meager amount of data it took a while to generate the file. Once done you can email the zip file.

Most reactions

Latest posts