What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headphones won't insert

Sierra Alpha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear all,

I am looking for some help and/or advise.

I went to put my headphones into my iPad 3 Wifi jack this morning as normal and they wouldn't inset all of the way in. I have never had that issue before and nothing has happened to the iPad since yesterday which could have caused this to my knowledge.

Basically when I try and pop in my headphones it feels blocked before the jack can be fully inserted... I have tried using a torch etc to see in there and can't see any obvious blockages...

Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dear all, I am looking for some help and/or advise. I went to put my headphones into my iPad 3 Wifi jack this morning as normal and they wouldn't inset all of the way in. I have never had that issue before and nothing has happened to the iPad since yesterday which could have caused this to my knowledge. Basically when I try and pop in my headphones it feels blocked before the jack can be fully inserted... I have tried using a torch etc to see in there and can't see any obvious blockages... Any thoughts? Many thanks.
Have you checked to see if the headphone plug is bent? Even a tiny bend will cause it to jam in the jack before becoming fully seated.

OP
S

Sierra Alpha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you checked to see if the headphone plug is bent? Even a tiny bend will cause it to jam in the jack before becoming fully seated.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have, and it isnt - I have also tried other pairs of headphones - they simply wont go in far enough to 'dock'.

Thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have, and it isnt - I have also tried other pairs of headphones - they simply wont go in far enough to 'dock'. Thanks.
if there is no visible blockage in the headphone jack and no headphones will plug in properly, it may be time to have it checked out at the Genius Bar at the closest Apple Store. If the jack is defective, it 's a hardware issue and should be covered under warranty or AppleCare.

OP
S

Sierra Alpha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if there is no visible blockage in the headphone jack and no headphones will plug in properly, it may be time to have it checked out at the Genius Bar at the closest Apple Store. If the jack is defective, it 's a hardware issue and should be covered under warranty or AppleCare.

I have an appointment booked already and am no longer under warrenty unfortunately. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for maybe investigating a blockage further.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried using the suction from a vacuum cleaner with a small nozzle fitting? It may suck out anything trapped in the socket.

OP
S

Sierra Alpha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried using the suction from a vacuum cleaner with a small nozzle fitting? It may suck out anything trapped in the socket.

Good idea - I will try this when I get home.

Thank you.

Most reactions

Latest posts