What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headphones will not work

toothdoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried 4 sets of standard plug headphones. They are loose in the ipad jack.
What am I missing?
Thanks in advance.
RAM

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
maybe all it needs is a little push. and make sure you didnt accidentally turn the mute switch on.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the case but the iOS has 2 separate volumes, one for headphones and one for internal speakers. If you plug your headphones in there is a good chance that volume is mute. So while you will have internal speaker sound there will be none when you plug in your headphones.

This is actually a really nice feature since you can set a comfortable volume for both. You usually have to set the internal speaker volume much higher than the headphone volume....so that way you don't blow your head off when you plug them in.

OP
T

toothdoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help.

Did this work in the end, pushing the jack in more?

Yes. I had the iPad in the cover from Apple and the corner of the cover was slightly blocking the hole.
I am so embarrased.

Bent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I have headphones working, but just yesterday the internal volume and speakers are not working. I tried that mute/lock on the side and the off switch and I get no change

Bent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The soft reset or power off did it. Just holding the off and start buttons, slide to turn off for 30 seconds worked when I turned back on, problem solved

gulmi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you! And I am embarrassed because the headphones just needed a little push! They are working fine now that I put them in all the way.

jollywa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you! And I am embarrassed because the headphones just needed a little push! They are working fine now that I put them in all the way.
Like Gulmi, all mine needed was a push. I wish I had visited this forum before trying to use headphones with the iPad for the first time. I just got the iPad after Christmas and a 14 hour flight to China was to be my first time to really try using it for movies and music. Then I could not get the headphones to work. I changed batteries in one set and then tried a second set and still I could not get it to work. My seat mate tried as well. I checked the forum for posts on this problem at noon today. When I got back to the hotel, I tried pushing the jack in hard and sure enough, it worked. Thank you to everyone who posted that the connection was a stiff one!

whelanjm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The soft reset or power off did it. Just holding the off and start buttons, slide to turn off for 30 seconds worked when I turned back on, problem solved

Thanks for the hint - had same problems with my lovely new Sennheiser headphones - soft reset did the trick :)

drbob007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i faced same problem over the weekend, and it didn't matter how hard i pushed the plug. i did the reset and things worked, but obviously in doing the reset all previously stored passwords etc., now have to be re-enetered, and given the length of some of those, it is a hassle.

there has to be some software switch that's getting moved to mute for the headphones that makes this problem occur. does somebody know where this switch is?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i faced same problem over the weekend, and it didn't matter how hard i pushed the plug. i did the reset and things worked, but obviously in doing the reset all previously stored passwords etc., now have to be re-enetered, and given the length of some of those, it is a hassle.

there has to be some software switch that's getting moved to mute for the headphones that makes this problem occur. does somebody know where this switch is?

When you say you did a 'reset' do you mean a 'restore' - in the Settings menu, or a power off-on cycle? That latter option can often cure a whole load of problems. Another, less dramatic, option is a reboot - hold the Power and Home keys down for about 60 seconds until the white Apple logo appears.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts