Headphone Mic on iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by DThompson55, Dec 28, 2015.

1. DThompson55

DThompson55
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I recently got an iPad Air 2, a upgrade from an earlier iPad.

On that earlier iPad I could record my voice using a headset that had its own built in mic. It plugged into the 3.5 mm jack. Plugging it in like that disabled the iPad's built in mic, which was exactly how I expected it to work.

On this Air 2 that doesn't work. Even though I can listen through the headset, I can't record through it on this device. It only lets me record through the built in mic, even with the headset plugged in. I was wondering if that's normal as-designed for this model, or if it's defective and I should try to exchange it.

Same headset, as well as several other headsets, all work on the older device.

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    It should work the same.

Make sure you are fully seating the headphone jack. On brand new iOS devices it's not uncommon for the jack to be a but tight, and the plug to feel like it is all the way in, but still lack a bit. The microphone and volume button's are the most likely thing to stop working in that case. Without the last contact in place the iPad will think you've got a standard three conductor headset instead of a four conductor set (for mic and controls).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk