What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headaches from ipad

hinke00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yesterday I've been using my iPad literally all day long, and by the evening I got headache, and it was hard to fall asleep. Then at night I struggled because I saw the light of the screen and dreamt with apps, and scrolling texts, and with theese motion effects. And I couldnt think of anything else, it captured my mind and didnt let me sleep. I had a very hard sleep. Anyone else would like to tell here his or her experiences with using ipad for so long time continuously?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Focusing for long periods at short distances easily causes eye strain. Whether it's books, monitors or iPads the result is the same.
I've been guilty many times despite knowing better........

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm semi-retired, so I've had time to spend whole days on iPad. My arm hurts sometimes from holding it, but no vision problems, disrupted sleep or anything else. But as they joke, if you tell a doctor, "It hurts when I do this," the doctor will tell you to stop doing it, or at least do it less.

GnomeGrrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hinke00 said:
Yesterday I've been using my iPad literally all day long, and by the evening I got headache, and it was hard to fall asleep. Then at night I struggled because I saw the light of the screen and dreamt with apps, and scrolling texts, and with theese motion effects. And I couldnt think of anything else, it captured my mind and didnt let me sleep. I had a very hard sleep. Anyone else would like to tell here his or her experiences with using ipad for so long time continuously?

I use mine constantly. Headaches are normal when using any device for long periods and it's recommended that you take regular breaks.

For the person with the holding issue, a good cover will help that, especially one that allows for different viewing angles. I sit mine on my knees when on the couch, or stand it up on the counter when at work. One with a magnetic close to turn the iPad off is a good idea - no more night light and scrolling apps.

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can't help it. It's inevitable that you'll get a headache if u use these type of devices for long periods continuously .right now I'm having a headache as I have been working with my I pad since today morning :D .before the headache was caused by my laptop.
Just the device changed headache remains same lol

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the person with the holding issue, a good cover will help that, especially one that allows for different viewing angles. I sit mine on my knees when on the couch, or stand it up on the counter when at work. One with a magnetic close to turn the iPad off is a good idea - no more night light and scrolling apps.

I have a stand that allows myriad angles, but I actually need to get one of those stands that grab your iPad and hold it at eye level, so you don't have to crane your neck. I've seen some, but have held off for something more attractive. I should check again.

Chuck6264

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not had headaches but I have had eye strain. I turn the brightness way down usually when I'm using the iPad for extended periods especially if the room is already well lit. I would say I have the brightness around 50% or a little less.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
hinke00

hinke00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I started using reading glasses which have helped me (as a serial headache sufferer).

The Archangel

Do you mean that type of glasses which help you to easier identify letters? Or is that something filter wich doesnt let those rays which cause the headache through?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hinke00 said:
Do you mean that type of glasses which help you to easier identify letters? Or is that something filter wich doesnt let those rays which cause the headache through?

They have a x1.5 magnification to help me see what I am reading better.....I didn't realise how bad my close up vision had become, probably too many years of using computer displays all day long.

The Archangel

OP
hinke00

hinke00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
They have a x1.5 magnification to help me see what I am reading better.....I didn't realise how bad my close up vision had become, probably too many years of using computer displays all day long.

The Archangel

I have glasses too but for long distances. Although i wear it when i read. It was needed for me because my eye focuses on short distance a lot, and it 'forgets' how to focus on distant objects as I dont look far that much because I watch a lot of monitor. In your case I assume that your headache was cause by the struggle when you cant recognise letters easily.

And for me books dont cause this headache. Only monitors.

GnomeGrrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, those glasses definitely help. I went into progressive lenses this year, so anyone with glasses having problems with reading should talk to their eye doctor about progressives or bifocals.

debsylvania

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The Archangel

I've heard those glasses (you can buy them at the drug store off the rack) called "cheaters". I could use a pair, myself, though I am pretty much in the habit of looking up and doing a few minutes of "distance focusing" at regular intervals, which helps a great deal.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got headaches and neckaches when I first got my iPad. Now I have three different types of glasses. Regular prescription with bifocals for normal use. Older reading glasses that really only work well when using the computer. And newer reading glasses that are perfect for reading and using the iPad. Kind of a pain but it's better than headaches.

Most reactions

Latest posts