1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Headaches from ipad

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by hinke00, Oct 31, 2011.

1. hinke00

hinke00 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yesterday I've been using my iPad literally all day long, and by the evening I got headache, and it was hard to fall asleep. Then at night I struggled because I saw the light of the screen and dreamt with apps, and scrolling texts, and with theese motion effects. And I couldnt think of anything else, it captured my mind and didnt let me sleep. I had a very hard sleep. Anyone else would like to tell here his or her experiences with using ipad for so long time continuously?
  2. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Focusing for long periods at short distances easily causes eye strain. Whether it's books, monitors or iPads the result is the same.
    I've been guilty many times despite knowing better........
  3. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I'm semi-retired, so I've had time to spend whole days on iPad. My arm hurts sometimes from holding it, but no vision problems, disrupted sleep or anything else. But as they joke, if you tell a doctor, "It hurts when I do this," the doctor will tell you to stop doing it, or at least do it less.
  4. GnomeGrrl

GnomeGrrl iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I use mine constantly. Headaches are normal when using any device for long periods and it's recommended that you take regular breaks.

For the person with the holding issue, a good cover will help that, especially one that allows for different viewing angles. I sit mine on my knees when on the couch, or stand it up on the counter when at work. One with a magnetic close to turn the iPad off is a good idea - no more night light and scrolling apps.
  5. A.K

A.K iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You can't help it. It's inevitable that you'll get a headache if u use these type of devices for long periods continuously .right now I'm having a headache as I have been working with my I pad since today morning :D .before the headache was caused by my laptop.
    Just the device changed headache remains same lol
  6. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    I started using reading glasses which have helped me (as a serial headache sufferer).

The Archangel
  7. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I have a stand that allows myriad angles, but I actually need to get one of those stands that grab your iPad and hold it at eye level, so you don't have to crane your neck. I've seen some, but have held off for something more attractive. I should check again.
  8. Chuck6264

Chuck6264 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have not had headaches but I have had eye strain. I turn the brightness way down usually when I'm using the iPad for extended periods especially if the room is already well lit. I would say I have the brightness around 50% or a little less.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
  9. hinke00

hinke00 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Do you mean that type of glasses which help you to easier identify letters? Or is that something filter wich doesnt let those rays which cause the headache through?
  10. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    They have a x1.5 magnification to help me see what I am reading better.....I didn't realise how bad my close up vision had become, probably too many years of using computer displays all day long.

The Archangel
  11. hinke00

hinke00 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I have glasses too but for long distances. Although i wear it when i read. It was needed for me because my eye focuses on short distance a lot, and it 'forgets' how to focus on distant objects as I dont look far that much because I watch a lot of monitor. In your case I assume that your headache was cause by the struggle when you cant recognise letters easily.

And for me books dont cause this headache. Only monitors.
  12. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
    Ratings:
    +598 / 0
    Reading glasses help me too.
    AA
  13. GnomeGrrl

GnomeGrrl iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yep, those glasses definitely help. I went into progressive lenses this year, so anyone with glasses having problems with reading should talk to their eye doctor about progressives or bifocals.
  14. debsylvania

debsylvania iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I've heard those glasses (you can buy them at the drug store off the rack) called "cheaters". I could use a pair, myself, though I am pretty much in the habit of looking up and doing a few minutes of "distance focusing" at regular intervals, which helps a great deal.
  15. idave23

idave23 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I got headaches and neckaches when I first got my iPad. Now I have three different types of glasses. Regular prescription with bifocals for normal use. Older reading glasses that really only work well when using the computer. And newer reading glasses that are perfect for reading and using the iPad. Kind of a pain but it's better than headaches.