What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headache from iPad

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know some people who are on lithium carbonate, and they’ve never mentioned headaches as a side effect--though there are others such as tremor and urinary and digestive issues. I agree that medical science doesn’t have all the answers, and that we should be open to unconventional methods, though keep in mind that some treatments can result in a “placebo effect.” Personally, I lean towards the opinions of the doctor above, that you should first consider sleeping habits, stress and other practical causes. You could also keep a record of when symptoms occur, when, and what the circumstances were, to help to see possible patterns.

OP
Hugh Mility O'Kelly
Reaction score
Hi again Hugh - let me just be a 'devil's advocate' (also a retired physician and have a relative on 'lithium carbonate' for a mild bipolar disorder) - from your posts, the scenario you are presenting is that the lithium ion battery from your iPad is leaching ionic lithium that your body is absorbing, and by this cutaneous process, your tested blood lithium levels are elevated - is that correct or am I misinterpreting your comments? I can take this further if desired but will await your response - just trying to understand exactly what you're thinking.

As a potential solution, do you really need to sleep w/ your iPad to listen to the radio station? I've listen to music on my iPad and also music streamed to the device from Spotify or Amazon via a BT speaker, BT headphones, and also cabled to my bedroom radio through the AUX port; thus no close body contact w/ the iPad. Dave :)
Dave,
Of course you are correct. What normally happens is I've put the iPad in the next room and fall asleep. Sometimes I have it not that far away from me and get away with it ,for my wife comes and takes the iPad for me into the next room. But if I fall asleep right next to it I get this pain in the bottom left part of my head like a ball expanding . I do get other headaches now and again. But they are very different and usually from dehydration and from drinking too much coffee .
I have in fact though proved without doubt that is the Lithium. Seemingly it goes up my nervous system into the back of my head on the left hand side. So normally I'm very careful but every now and again I watch a boring movie on the iPad, fall asleep, and the inevitable happens.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave,
Of course you are correct. What normally happens is I've put the iPad in the next room and fall asleep. Sometimes I have it not that far away from me and get away with it ,for my wife comes and takes the iPad for me into the next room. But if I fall asleep right next to it I get this pain in the bottom left part of my head like a ball expanding . I do get other headaches now and again. But they are very different and usually from dehydration and from drinking too much coffee .
I have in fact though proved without doubt that is the Lithium. Seemingly it goes up my nervous system into the back of my head on the left hand side. So normally I'm very careful but every now and again I watch a boring movie on the iPad, fall asleep, and the inevitable happens.

Hi again Hugh - thank you for the additional information from this and your previous post - not sure about your 'gas exposure' and the vanadium issue - I'm a woodworker and have some tools/router bits/etc. w/ vanadium steel, so the extent of my knowledge w/o reading up on the element or its compounds, sorry.

I'm still not sure about the 'lithium issue' - normally the material is not even detected (threshold level for current testing, I assume) in the blood unless one is on lithium medication, then the therapeutic levels are extremely low, i.e. therapeutic range for lithium has been established at 0.6 - 1.2 mmol/L (had to look that up - Source), and toxicity can occur quickly at even slightly higher levels (according to the link) - I was an academic radiologist at a medical school for 34 years, so not my field of expertise (although my BIL is a psychiatrist and would know all about this medication).

But, bottom line is that you've found ways to avoid the headaches, so I guess the best approach is to practice habits based on your own experience. Now, you and your wife have received help from a number of non-traditional medical therapies, so if the 'regular docs' are of no help, then the alternatives are worth a try, if effective and not potentially harmful. Good luck and I hope that you can work out this 'lithium battery' problem. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts