What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Head in the clouds, any concerns?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess most of us have used the Cloud whether it be web-based email clients like G-mail, Yahoo etc or direct syncing to and fro via DropBox, SkyDrive etc.

It's modern computing no doubt, where large, somewhat faceless conglomerates like Amazon (who started it) Google, Microsoft, Apple etc, rent out excess capacity on their huge computers with huge storage areas to which we transfer all our private data, photos and private personal info. AND these computer-world giants can subcontract to any other mob with server capacity anywhere in the world. AND our own ISPs can fairly easily access that info "in the cloud"

So my question, I guess is: Anyone at all concerned with where all your private info is stored and available to whom? Maybe on a server in Beijing, Moscow, Big Brother? ( it seems major government security/defense agencies in USA, Europe, Australia are very reluctant to put data "up into the cloud")

Maybe off topic, but there have been interesting threads about security on our iPads. Sorry for the length of my posts.
Regards, Andrew

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess most of us have used the Cloud whether it be web-based email clients like G-mail, Yahoo etc or direct syncing to and fro via DropBox, SkyDrive etc.

It's modern computing no doubt, where large, somewhat faceless conglomerates like Amazon (who started it) Google, Microsoft, Apple etc, rent out excess capacity on their huge computers with huge storage areas to which we transfer all our private data, photos and private personal info. AND these computer-world giants can subcontract to any other mob with server capacity anywhere in the world. AND our own ISPs can fairly easily access that info "in the cloud"

So my question, I guess is: Anyone at all concerned with where all your private info is stored and available to whom? Maybe on a server in Beijing, Moscow, Big Brother? ( it seems major government security/defense agencies in USA, Europe, Australia are very reluctant to put data "up into the cloud")

Maybe off topic, but there have been interesting threads about security on our iPads. Sorry for the length of my posts.
Regards, Andrew

Cloud storage is great if used with some common sense.........
Music, pictures, common files, etc.

But, I would never ever store private personal information in bulk <cloud> storage areas.....that's insane IMHO.
There is enough of that already that you have no control over (banking information, etc. ) so I don't need to make it any worse.

Use with care and common sense........

ziffos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cloud storage is excellent UNTIL you cannot "get hold" of your files when they will not download from the cloud because of cloud problems - iCloud has been bad for me lately!!!!

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I'm a bit frustrated (probably that's the right word) because everything you do or don't do is (or is not) in a cloud when using a smartphone. If you're tangled with Apple or Google, it's all the same.

Like many have already stated, saving your very personal data on a cloud is somewhat suspicious. Although it may seem very convinient at the moment. But it seems that bit by bit you get chained more and more as time goes on. Slipping the control of your own data can't be a good thing.

Sent from the iPad using iPF. No more, no less.

pooponiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The cloud is an absolutely dangerous place for any personal info that can tie to you in a personal way. Though like another person here stated. Music is a great thing to store up there. I 2ould be cautious about posting photos of any friends or family in the cloud. The fact of the matter is, there ar3 people and governments all over the globe that can jot keep to them selves. Our government here in the USA are just as guilty as the rest. I think even though we live in a day and age od digital sharing. We should balance this all out with hand written letters and notes. You may think it backwards. But, there is a sort of security in simplicity. Remember, it benefits only the banks and corporations if we allowa tech to consume every part of our lives. There truly is no benefit to us personally. The only thing that benefits us is to help others without being told to. Sadly most people have been conditioned to be selfish. And it is only going to get worse.
Well, I believe I am done ranting.

Typed with my beard.

OP
The OB

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I have no issues about storing info in the cloud but I pick and choose what I store. In addition, I have my own cloud set up which I control fully, check out this link

http://www.ipadforums.net/network-attached-storage-nas/74006-personal-cloud-storage.html

Also, this may help you if you want your own cloud

http://www.ipadforums.net/network-attached-storage-nas/75895-what-nas-what-can-do-you.html

The Archangel

Now I recon that seems the way to go to to ease concerns about public cloud storage and I will definitely explore this further.

And thanks Gabriel for the well researched/written piece on NAS. Will look into that also.
Regards, Andrew

Most reactions

Latest posts