What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HDMI cable for IPad2 ... IMHO, of limited use

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably limited use for you, but I carry around the video out cable in the sleeve of my iPad 2.

I am currently in Germany for two weeks (The locals get a real kick out of seeing an iPad 2 as they arent for sale here yet.).... and I loaded up my White 64GB Wifi Only WiFi with my HD rips. It's great for hooking up to a Tv.

Mirroring is also an interesting feature.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Secret, secret it works with the iPad 1! Maybe a jailbreak will make it work with all the apps.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mirroring via HDMI from iPAD2

So the iPAD is a portable tablet with limited disk space (max:64GB) and average-definition cameras. On top of that, the form factor is not awkward for using it as a primary camera.

Why would you want to hook it up to a TV ? especially if you have a 1920x1080 resolution HDTV. The only reason to hook it up would be to watch the stores videos ... which is not going to be a whole lot even if you have a 64GB version of the pad. Moreover, it kills the portability factor of the iPAD.

If you do plan to look at your iMovie edited clips ... you are better off transferring it to your iTunes-loaded PC/MAC and transferring it from there. I don't believe one can offload from the iPAD2 directly to a USB drive.

In short ... connecting the iPad2 to the TV offer very limited functionality.

Mirroring means presentations, teaching, sharing. What you see on your screen can readily be displayed on a larger display (TV) for group sharing.
Keynote in particular is awesome.

you mention USB drive ... for files does not work... not intended.

Wait 'til the gamers and their fantastic new apps that take advantage of the new powerful graphics process that want that displayed on the big screen. Then, share your views again. Have a great day.

Last edited:

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you got to think outside of the box, a lot teachers, lecturers and sorts would use this a hell of a lot!

Exactly. My wife is a teacher and she can use her Ipad 2 at work with the HDMI cable.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mirroring the iPad is already possible with the other iDevice TV cable but I meant there should a hack to mirror the iPad using the Apple HDMI cable. Also on the previous statement I meant that the Apple HDMI cable works with the iPad 1 and the iPad 2.

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mirroring the iPad is already possible with the other iDevice TV cable but I meant there should a hack to mirror the iPad using the Apple HDMI cable. Also on the previous statement I meant that the Apple HDMI cable works with the iPad 1 and the iPad 2.
Oh, now I see...

One precision though. The preceding cable does not allow mirroring per se, only some applications are allowed to display some content. You can't show Safari or much at all. A lot is censored. The new setup allows you to display everything you do on your iPad 2.

What I'd like to know is, can the same be done on iPad 1? Partially?

Last edited:

jakeremonday

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have justed hooked up The HDMI to the ipad 2 with the Garage band app.
Guess what NO SOUND from the tv. Yep, apple support says their is no sound to the tv with the garage band app . So much for using it in a class room.
one could hook up speakers to the i pad but now it's not so great Mr. Jobs

jakeremonday

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is from the Apple Support page.......

Directly from the Apple Support page.......

Cannot send audio from iMovie or GarageBand when mirroring via HDMI with the Apple Digital AV Adapter
Last Modified: March 15, 2011
Article: TS3713

Symptoms
You cannot send audio from iMovie for iOS or GarageBand for iPad when mirroring via HDMI with the Apple Digital AV Adapter.*

Products Affected
GarageBand for iPad, iMovie for iOS
Resolution
When mirroring*via HDMI with the Apple Digital AV Adapter, apps cannot simultaneously record and transmit audio. Since both iMovie and*GarageBand feature audio recording capabilities, audio transmission over HDMI is disabled. Audio*can continue to be monitored through the*stereo headphone jack or iPad built-in speaker.

One can hook up external speakers to the i pad

Tom P.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guess what NO SOUND from the tv. Yep, apple support says their is no sound to the tv with the garage band app . So much for using it in a class room.

Ya... hook up to the TV's speakers or stereo (surround sound system) via the headphone jack and RCA plug adapter. You can get a cheap adapter to go from the 3.5 headphone jack to a "Y" right and left RCA plugs to connect to the audio system or TV. Then crank 'er up!

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Just plug a simple audio cable to the TV, speakers, etc. Two cables rather than one, no big deal.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iVan said:
Oh, now I see...

One precision though. The preceding cable does not allow mirroring per se, only some applications are allowed to display some content. You can't show Safari or much at all. A lot is censored. The new setup allows you to display everything you do on your iPad 2.

What I'd like to know is, can the same be done on iPad 1? Partially?

Yes, check other thread out. It's already been confirmed that with hdmi cable, jail broken iPad, and display out app from Cydia, everything is mirrored perfectly like on iPad 2.

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)P

Most reactions

Latest posts