What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having doubts about Ipad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In general, it is almost always better to download the app directly onto the iPad. iTunes on the computer has no way of knowing if an app is compatible with your device. It will download anything in the store. Also, downloading to the computer and then syncing to the iPad is just one more step to go wrong.

I download using iTunes on the computer only when the app is so big it won't reliably download on the iPad. There are a few 1GB plus apps out there, and unless you have a very fast and reliable internet connection they often fail to download directly to the iPad.

When it comes to apps, the only other reason you might want to sync or download apps to the computer is as backups. If an gets an update you don't like, or it gets pulled from the app store completely (so that you can't download it again), then having them in iTunes on a computer is the only way to recover them. It's rarely needed, but can happen with older apps.

As a music/video player, catalog, and store, iTunes is decent on a Mac. Usability on Windows seems to vary, depending on too many variables to go into.

OP
M

mikeee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the info twerppoet. I am obviously not making myself very clear. the downloading part is no problem.
It is the installing that is.
I have only had the install buttons show once as stated above and it was no problem installing to my Ipad and they worked well including a free game.

As stated above the install buttons are no longer showing for anything in the itunes store or elsewhere for a couple of apps I have just down loaded.
that is the problem.
How can I get to install to my ipad when there is no install buttons showing in iTunes?
will do another connect to iTunes to see if install buttons have reappeared.
regards,
Mike.
P.S.
5 min later
Have just tried again using firefox and Internet explorer.
Nothing. cannot sync or install in Itunes.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Why are you using iTunes to install the apps?

Go to the App Store on the iPad, then choose the Purchased tab. Every app you've purchased that are compatible with your iPad will show up there (be sure to tap the iPad Apps button at the top left to check for iPhone apps as well). You can see all your purchased apps, or only those not on the iPad.

You should see them here even if you purchased them on the computer. There is no reason to try and install them from the computer (with few exceptions).

It is best to both purchase and download apps directly on the iPad using the App Store. That way there are no issues. Apps download as soon as they are purchased. You'll only see an install button if they either fail to download, or you delete them. Otherwise you'll see an OPEN button when viewing the App Store.

Now, it's possible (even likely) that were are miscommunicating based on terminology, so, if it helps.

App Store:

1) A separate app on the iPad for the purchased and downloading of apps.

2) A part of the iTunes Store on the computer, accessed using the iTunes app.

iTunes:

1) The big everything app on the computer. Includes all of Apple's online stores along with media management and player features.

2) On the iPad all you can do is browse and buy from the iTunes Music, TV, and Movie stores. There are separate apps for playing purchased media: Music, Videos.

As long as you have an internet connection on the iPad, all content from the iTunes Stores can be downloaded directly on the iPad without any need of iTunes on the computer. This is the best method for apps, and may be the best for other content depending on your needs and situation.

Now, for those apps that you've purchased on the computer using iTunes. Go back and make sure they are compatible with the iPad 1 and iOS 5.x (you've probably done that already, going by previous posts). Also make sure they are iPad apps, not iPhone apps. You can use most iPhone apps on the iPad, but will not see them in the Purchased tab unless you change from the iPad Apps view to the iPhone Apps view using the button at the top left of the screen.

Ok. I've repeated myself a lot, said thing that were probably not needed, but only in an attempt to clear up any possible confusion. I hope something in the above mess helps. :eek:

Good luck.

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There was a comment from a member to me that millions of people are quite happy with Itunes. I wonder how he/she knows that.
After doing a lot of searching on the internet it obvious, there is/could be millions of people lookimg and finding ways to avoid using Itunes.

I am one of them. Goodbye itunes.

That was me, and what I actually said was that many millions of people seemed to be syncing their i-devices without the kind of problems you're having.

So, firstly, that's based on that fact that Apple have ~500 million iOS devices sold (doesn't include the squillions of pre-iOS iPods either), and have 500 million iTunes account-holders - all of whom must have used iTunes, if only for the initial sync and setup - ergo, many millions aren't having your problems. And secondly, that's my polite, English way of saying that, actually, maybe the problem is with you?? Please don't take that the wrong way, it's just that my experience has been that people with a technical background particularly don't like iTunes, because for whatever reason, it often doesn't work the way they expect it to.

As Twerpoet touched on, there's also the problem with terminology, which can affect our understanding of the issues. You've been advised in this thread several times to download apps direct to your iPad through the App Store app, yet you seem to continue to want to use iTunes on a PC to download apps and then sync to your iPad. Or perhaps that's just me misunderstanding?? Some screenshots would help, if you can post them.

Similarly...

Have just tried again using firefox and Internet explorer.
Nothing. cannot sync or install in Itunes.

...makes no sense; browsers like Firefox and Internet Explorer have nothing to do with the process of syncing your iPad, or installing apps on it. Again, perhaps a screenshot would help.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Users have down loaded 50 billion apps via iTunes so that means millions of users have few issues
Again as stated it is easier to down load apps direct than via a pc using iTunes then syncing

Colin
iPad forums Administrator

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agree with Twerppoet. Installing apps via iTunes seems like creating unnecessary trouble for yourself.

OP
M

mikeee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thankyou guys for your input. You have lot of patience and I appreciate that.

I don't have a internet connection for the Ipad so only option is through a PC computer.
There is an option for setting up a connection but Have tried to connect to ours using the correct passwords for User and the wireless router but no joy.
I will have a chat with our ISP and see what they say.
I certainly am not going to set up a new connection just for the Ipad. that would cost me about $70 NZ a month.

I can get wifi when I am at a hotspot and maybe I can connect to itunes that way. I will try these options and let you know,
regards,
Mike.

OP
M

mikeee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update.

Hi all I have now a internet connection and am able to connect to itunes that way and all is OK with downloading and installing.

another problem with Itunes through the computer.

when the ipad connects to Itunes it syns and then a message comes up:-

"could not backup the ipad because a session could not be started with the Ipad"

I am now giving up completely with Itunes. I think it is "garbage"
I am able to use PDFs ok on the Ipad
and books and the two Novation apps.

Please don't bother to explain how I can fix this latest problem.
Apple has wasted enough of my time and I have more important things to do.
I want to thank everyone,
I may see you again in another life,
regards,
Mike.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad you got things working. iTunes on the computer has been (mostly) optional since iOS 5. You should keep an updated version on your computer (or know where to get it) as a last ditch recovery tool, but otherwise not worry about it.

I still use use it, but I'm on a Mac, and I've had over a decade (from the beginning of iTunes) to learn the app's quirks. That, and I don't want to give up my smart playlists.

Good luck. Enjoy your iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts