1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Having doubts about Ipad.

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by mikeee, Jun 19, 2013.

1. mikeee

mikeee iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hello to all you experts and knobs that read this.
    I am a real knob regarding Ipad.

The reason I bought an Ipad was to use it to make music with the new Novation Launchpad S. connected to the Ipad, using the camera kit USB connector

Novation had put out two free programs,

launchpad 1.0.2.ipa 242.7megs
    Launchkey 1.3.ipa 8.6 megs

I got them into Itunes but found it impossible to to get them into Ipad.
    Using syncios I had no problem importing them into Ipad and they now sit on the screen with their own icons.
    After linking Ipad and Launchpad S tried to get them to work no joy tapping the program icons they did nothing.
    so no music.

I use PC's.
    Just bought this Ipad about ten days ago.(My first experience with one)

It had been deleted of all its files and after setting it up with Itunes (a pain in the backside) I got it working.

after trying to add some music through itunes (my own mp3's) I gave up and went looking for a independent installer/converter. found one that seems OK. called Cyncios. Had no trouble using it and placed some Ableton Live tut movie on and some of my own mp3's.
    when linking it again with Itunes found it wouldn't link and said it had to have a factory restore. (see my other thread).

After a lot of messing about I restored it loosing everything I had put on.
    so, put some more movies(mp4) and mp3's back on and all is Ok.

checked with Itunes again and same thing won't link and asks to restore it.
    I am going to rebel and say NO, get st$#@ed, because it seems OK on its own and links fine with "Cyncios"

I wonder if Ipad1 is not suitable for what I want to do with Launch pad. but so far cannot find any info regarding this. There are some demos on Youtube showng them working together but no mention what version Ipad is being used.

Any thoughts on this would be welcome
    regards,
    Mike.
  2. PeterJMelb

PeterJMelb iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Perhaps you should spend a bit more time getting used to the iPad general features before you launch into a difficult (for me anyway) project.
    Everyone takes time to appreciate it's usefulness.
    Then relaunch the app, then ask questions directly to the app makers.
  3. petermillard

petermillard iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    You can download apps direct to your iPad through the App Store app.

Never heard of it before, but Syncios touts itself as an alternative to iTunes - my guess is that it's just that, an alternative i.e. you use iTunes or Syncios, but don't get to switch between the two at will. Syncios offers free tech support - did you check with them? As an aside, many, many millions of people use iTunes to sync their iPods, iPhones and iPads without problems - what were the issues you were having?

From the LaunchPad description on the App store: "Please note, iPad 4 is recommended for optimum performance when using synchronisation." So at a guess, I'd say a (potentially) three year old first-gen iPad won't cut it. You could contact them and ask for them to clarify a minimum spec??

HTH Pete
  4. mikeee

mikeee iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    thanks for your replies . did a spotlight search as well and they are definitely not on the Ipad.

regards,
    Mike.
  5. mikeee

mikeee iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0

the main issue now is that after syncing in itunes the 2 apps are not on the ipad did a spotlight search and nothing.
    regards,
    Mike.
  6. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Open the app store on the ipad...search in the store for the apps...then download them directly to the iPad. But before you do that, make sure they are compatible with iPad 1. If you really want to do music creation type stuff, you really probably would be better off with a later version of iPad. Also, I suggest you send some time learning iPad first. It is not that hard. Lots of music-creation types seem to enjoy using it. BTW, I avoid using iTunes as much as I can...which is nearly 99% of the time. There are alternative ways to do most things. After setup, that is. I do backups via iTunes but even that can be done over wifi. Getting apps is one thing that you DON'T need iTunes for, however.
  7. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,070 / 1
    Did you try downloading the apps from the AppStore instead of the Internet? The only way to install an app onto your iPad is to get it from the AppStore.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  8. Somerled

Somerled iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    I would contact the developer, Novation, and see what they say. I have a very distinct feeling that the iPad 1 is no longer supported.
  9. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,070 / 1
    If you look in the AppStore, it says the apps require iOS 5.
  10. Somerled

Somerled iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    And it may be possible the requirements havent been properly updated. This is still something I would go to the developer on.
  11. mikeee

mikeee iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Just had a reply from admin at "Novation forums and

I quote/
    Hi,

The Launchpad S is class compliant and should work with the Ipad 1.

Please contact novation support so we can further trouble shot your unit.
    /endquote.

so will keep asking and will get this resolved eventually
    regards,
    Mike
  12. mikeee

mikeee iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I don't consider this a difficult project.
    Basically I have connected OK with Itunes and have the two free apps in the Itunes library(my hard drive.)
    Connecting the Ipad and launchpad S is very simple.
    that is a USB connection with camera kit in series from Ipad to Launchpad.
    the problem lies with Itunes showing it is syncing the 2 apps to my Ipad.. except they are not on my Ipad. Am going to see if I can sync any other apps form Itunes to Ipad.

Plus I have order a new cable for connecting Ipad to computer.
    regards,
    Mike.
  13. mikeee

mikeee iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yes and my Ipad is iOS 5.1.1

a new development.
    have just gone back to Itunes and connected with IPad and found a free games which I downloaded to library. then went to apps and now there are the three apps. the 2 from Novation and the game.
    On the right handside of them is a "install" button for each app(3) which I have never seen before and so after clicking on them and installing I now can see the three apps on my Ipad. Yippee.
    Now will see if the music ones work.
    regards,
    Mike.
    (addenda)
    24 hours later.
    I have been successful with running the apps with IPad1 connected to Launchpad s and
    have received an email this morning from
    Novation technical support.

I quote/
    Hi Mike,
    Thanks for your email.
    We recommend iPad 2 with iOS 5 and above. The CPU and graphics performance of iPad 1 aren't capable of running our apps unfortunately.
    /endquote.

My next step is to find a way of restoring iOS 5.1.1 without using itunes.
    In my opinion Itunes is a poorly constructed application.
    Firstly:- when trying to restore through firefox. (25 times) no Joy.
    restoring through IE no problem.
    Secondly:- Itunes talks about max of 5 computers that it can be installed on.
    for this Itunes does not identify the computer, I found that it identies the version of windows that is on the computer.
    After formatting my OP partition and installing an WINupgrade .Itunes stated that it was another computer.
    experimenting I formated again and reinstalled the same upgrade and Itunes did not send me a message stating I was on another computer.
    regards,
    Mike.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  14. mikeee

mikeee iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yes I downloaded them through appstore.
  15. mikeee

mikeee iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Update.

I think Itunes is a real pain.
    Have just been into Itunes and downloaded 2 more appls and when trying to sync them that is greyed out and the download buttona are now not there so cannot put them on My Ipad.

There was a comment from a member to me that millions of people are quite happy with Itunes. I wonder how he/she knows that.
    After doing a lot of searching on the internet it obvious, there is/could be millions of people lookimg and finding ways to avoid using Itunes.

I am one of them. Goodbye itunes.

regards,
    Mike.
  16. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,998 / 1
    In general, it is almost always better to download the app directly onto the iPad. iTunes on the computer has no way of knowing if an app is compatible with your device. It will download anything in the store. Also, downloading to the computer and then syncing to the iPad is just one more step to go wrong.

I download using iTunes on the computer only when the app is so big it won't reliably download on the iPad. There are a few 1GB plus apps out there, and unless you have a very fast and reliable internet connection they often fail to download directly to the iPad.

When it comes to apps, the only other reason you might want to sync or download apps to the computer is as backups. If an gets an update you don't like, or it gets pulled from the app store completely (so that you can't download it again), then having them in iTunes on a computer is the only way to recover them. It's rarely needed, but can happen with older apps.

As a music/video player, catalog, and store, iTunes is decent on a Mac. Usability on Windows seems to vary, depending on too many variables to go into.
  17. mikeee

mikeee iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    thanks for the info twerppoet. I am obviously not making myself very clear. the downloading part is no problem.
    It is the installing that is.
    I have only had the install buttons show once as stated above and it was no problem installing to my Ipad and they worked well including a free game.

As stated above the install buttons are no longer showing for anything in the itunes store or elsewhere for a couple of apps I have just down loaded.
    that is the problem.
    How can I get to install to my ipad when there is no install buttons showing in iTunes?
    will do another connect to iTunes to see if install buttons have reappeared.
    regards,
    Mike.
    P.S.
    5 min later
    Have just tried again using firefox and Internet explorer.
    Nothing. cannot sync or install in Itunes.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  18. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,998 / 1
    Why are you using iTunes to install the apps?

Go to the App Store on the iPad, then choose the Purchased tab. Every app you've purchased that are compatible with your iPad will show up there (be sure to tap the iPad Apps button at the top left to check for iPhone apps as well). You can see all your purchased apps, or only those not on the iPad.

You should see them here even if you purchased them on the computer. There is no reason to try and install them from the computer (with few exceptions).

It is best to both purchase and download apps directly on the iPad using the App Store. That way there are no issues. Apps download as soon as they are purchased. You'll only see an install button if they either fail to download, or you delete them. Otherwise you'll see an OPEN button when viewing the App Store.

Now, it's possible (even likely) that were are miscommunicating based on terminology, so, if it helps.

App Store:

1) A separate app on the iPad for the purchased and downloading of apps.

2) A part of the iTunes Store on the computer, accessed using the iTunes app.

iTunes:

1) The big everything app on the computer. Includes all of Apple's online stores along with media management and player features.

2) On the iPad all you can do is browse and buy from the iTunes Music, TV, and Movie stores. There are separate apps for playing purchased media: Music, Videos.

As long as you have an internet connection on the iPad, all content from the iTunes Stores can be downloaded directly on the iPad without any need of iTunes on the computer. This is the best method for apps, and may be the best for other content depending on your needs and situation.

Now, for those apps that you've purchased on the computer using iTunes. Go back and make sure they are compatible with the iPad 1 and iOS 5.x (you've probably done that already, going by previous posts). Also make sure they are iPad apps, not iPhone apps. You can use most iPhone apps on the iPad, but will not see them in the Purchased tab unless you change from the iPad Apps view to the iPhone Apps view using the button at the top left of the screen.

Ok. I've repeated myself a lot, said thing that were probably not needed, but only in an attempt to clear up any possible confusion. I hope something in the above mess helps. :eek:

Good luck.
  19. petermillard

petermillard iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    That was me, and what I actually said was that many millions of people seemed to be syncing their i-devices without the kind of problems you're having.

So, firstly, that's based on that fact that Apple have ~500 million iOS devices sold (doesn't include the squillions of pre-iOS iPods either), and have 500 million iTunes account-holders - all of whom must have used iTunes, if only for the initial sync and setup - ergo, many millions aren't having your problems. And secondly, that's my polite, English way of saying that, actually, maybe the problem is with you?? Please don't take that the wrong way, it's just that my experience has been that people with a technical background particularly don't like iTunes, because for whatever reason, it often doesn't work the way they expect it to.

As Twerpoet touched on, there's also the problem with terminology, which can affect our understanding of the issues. You've been advised in this thread several times to download apps direct to your iPad through the App Store app, yet you seem to continue to want to use iTunes on a PC to download apps and then sync to your iPad. Or perhaps that's just me misunderstanding?? Some screenshots would help, if you can post them.

Similarly...

...makes no sense; browsers like Firefox and Internet Explorer have nothing to do with the process of syncing your iPad, or installing apps on it. Again, perhaps a screenshot would help.
  20. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +459 / 0
    Users have down loaded 50 billion apps via iTunes so that means millions of users have few issues
    Again as stated it is easier to down load apps direct than via a pc using iTunes then syncing

Colin
    iPad forums Administrator