Having doubts about Ipad.

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by mikeee, Jun 19, 2013.

1. mikeee

mikeee
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hello to all you experts and knobs that read this.
    I am a real knob regarding Ipad.

The reason I bought an Ipad was to use it to make music with the new Novation Launchpad S. connected to the Ipad, using the camera kit USB connector

Novation had put out two free programs,

launchpad 1.0.2.ipa 242.7megs
    Launchkey 1.3.ipa 8.6 megs

I got them into Itunes but found it impossible to to get them into Ipad.
    Using syncios I had no problem importing them into Ipad and they now sit on the screen with their own icons.
    After linking Ipad and Launchpad S tried to get them to work no joy tapping the program icons they did nothing.
    so no music.

I use PC's.
    Just bought this Ipad about ten days ago.(My first experience with one)

It had been deleted of all its files and after setting it up with Itunes (a pain in the backside) I got it working.

after trying to add some music through itunes (my own mp3's) I gave up and went looking for a independent installer/converter. found one that seems OK. called Cyncios. Had no trouble using it and placed some Ableton Live tut movie on and some of my own mp3's.
    when linking it again with Itunes found it wouldn't link and said it had to have a factory restore. (see my other thread).

After a lot of messing about I restored it loosing everything I had put on.
    so, put some more movies(mp4) and mp3's back on and all is Ok.

checked with Itunes again and same thing won't link and asks to restore it.
    I am going to rebel and say NO, get st$#@ed, because it seems OK on its own and links fine with "Cyncios"

I wonder if Ipad1 is not suitable for what I want to do with Launch pad. but so far cannot find any info regarding this. There are some demos on Youtube showng them working together but no mention what version Ipad is being used.

Any thoughts on this would be welcome
    regards,
    Mike.

2. PeterJMelb

PeterJMelb
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps you should spend a bit more time getting used to the iPad general features before you launch into a difficult (for me anyway) project.
    Everyone takes time to appreciate it's usefulness.
    Then relaunch the app, then ask questions directly to the app makers.

3. petermillard

petermillard
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    You can download apps direct to your iPad through the App Store app.

Never heard of it before, but Syncios touts itself as an alternative to iTunes - my guess is that it's just that, an alternative i.e. you use iTunes or Syncios, but don't get to switch between the two at will. Syncios offers free tech support - did you check with them? As an aside, many, many millions of people use iTunes to sync their iPods, iPhones and iPads without problems - what were the issues you were having?

From the LaunchPad description on the App store: "Please note, iPad 4 is recommended for optimum performance when using synchronisation." So at a guess, I'd say a (potentially) three year old first-gen iPad won't cut it. You could contact them and ask for them to clarify a minimum spec??

HTH Pete

4. mikeee

mikeee
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    thanks for your replies . did a spotlight search as well and they are definitely not on the Ipad.

regards,
    Mike.

5. mikeee

mikeee
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

the main issue now is that after syncing in itunes the 2 apps are not on the ipad did a spotlight search and nothing.
    regards,
    Mike.

6. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Open the app store on the ipad...search in the store for the apps...then download them directly to the iPad. But before you do that, make sure they are compatible with iPad 1. If you really want to do music creation type stuff, you really probably would be better off with a later version of iPad. Also, I suggest you send some time learning iPad first. It is not that hard. Lots of music-creation types seem to enjoy using it. BTW, I avoid using iTunes as much as I can...which is nearly 99% of the time. There are alternative ways to do most things. After setup, that is. I do backups via iTunes but even that can be done over wifi. Getting apps is one thing that you DON'T need iTunes for, however.

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you try downloading the apps from the AppStore instead of the Internet? The only way to install an app onto your iPad is to get it from the AppStore.

#7 scifan57, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  8. Somerled

Somerled
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I would contact the developer, Novation, and see what they say. I have a very distinct feeling that the iPad 1 is no longer supported.

9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you look in the AppStore, it says the apps require iOS 5.

10. Somerled

Somerled
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    And it may be possible the requirements havent been properly updated. This is still something I would go to the developer on.