What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having doubts about Ipad.

mikeee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello to all you experts and knobs that read this.
I am a real knob regarding Ipad.

The reason I bought an Ipad was to use it to make music with the new Novation Launchpad S. connected to the Ipad, using the camera kit USB connector

Novation had put out two free programs,

launchpad 1.0.2.ipa 242.7megs
Launchkey 1.3.ipa 8.6 megs

I got them into Itunes but found it impossible to to get them into Ipad.
Using syncios I had no problem importing them into Ipad and they now sit on the screen with their own icons.
After linking Ipad and Launchpad S tried to get them to work no joy tapping the program icons they did nothing.
so no music.

I use PC's.
Just bought this Ipad about ten days ago.(My first experience with one)

It had been deleted of all its files and after setting it up with Itunes (a pain in the backside) I got it working.

after trying to add some music through itunes (my own mp3's) I gave up and went looking for a independent installer/converter. found one that seems OK. called Cyncios. Had no trouble using it and placed some Ableton Live tut movie on and some of my own mp3's.
when linking it again with Itunes found it wouldn't link and said it had to have a factory restore. (see my other thread).

After a lot of messing about I restored it loosing everything I had put on.
so, put some more movies(mp4) and mp3's back on and all is Ok.

checked with Itunes again and same thing won't link and asks to restore it.
I am going to rebel and say NO, get st$#@ed, because it seems OK on its own and links fine with "Cyncios"

I wonder if Ipad1 is not suitable for what I want to do with Launch pad. but so far cannot find any info regarding this. There are some demos on Youtube showng them working together but no mention what version Ipad is being used.

Any thoughts on this would be welcome
regards,
Mike.

D

Deleted member 247820

Perhaps you should spend a bit more time getting used to the iPad general features before you launch into a difficult (for me anyway) project.
Everyone takes time to appreciate it's usefulness.
Then relaunch the app, then ask questions directly to the app makers.

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Novation had put out two free programs, launchpad 1.0.2.ipa 242.7megs, Launchkey 1.3.ipa 8.6 megs I got them into Itunes but found it impossible to to get them into Ipad.

You can download apps direct to your iPad through the App Store app.

after trying to add some music through itunes (my own mp3's) I gave up and went looking for a independent installer/converter. found one that seems OK. called Cyncios. Had no trouble using it and placed some Ableton Live tut movie on and some of my own mp3's. when linking it again with Itunes found it wouldn't link and said it had to have a factory restore. (see my other thread).

After a lot of messing about I restored it loosing everything I had put on. so, put some more movies(mp4) and mp3's back on and all is Ok. checked with Itunes again and same thing won't link and asks to restore it.
I am going to rebel and say NO, get st$#@ed, because it seems OK on its own and links fine with "Cyncios"

Never heard of it before, but Syncios touts itself as an alternative to iTunes - my guess is that it's just that, an alternative i.e. you use iTunes or Syncios, but don't get to switch between the two at will. Syncios offers free tech support - did you check with them? As an aside, many, many millions of people use iTunes to sync their iPods, iPhones and iPads without problems - what were the issues you were having?

I wonder if Ipad1 is not suitable for what I want to do with Launch pad. but so far cannot find any info regarding this. There are some demos on Youtube showng them working together but no mention what version Ipad is being used.

From the LaunchPad description on the App store: "Please note, iPad 4 is recommended for optimum performance when using synchronisation." So at a guess, I'd say a (potentially) three year old first-gen iPad won't cut it. You could contact them and ask for them to clarify a minimum spec??

HTH Pete

OP
M

mikeee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for your replies . did a spotlight search as well and they are definitely not on the Ipad.

regards,
Mike.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
the main issue now is that after syncing in itunes the 2 apps are not on the ipad did a spotlight search and nothing.
regards,
Mike.

Open the app store on the ipad...search in the store for the apps...then download them directly to the iPad. But before you do that, make sure they are compatible with iPad 1. If you really want to do music creation type stuff, you really probably would be better off with a later version of iPad. Also, I suggest you send some time learning iPad first. It is not that hard. Lots of music-creation types seem to enjoy using it. BTW, I avoid using iTunes as much as I can...which is nearly 99% of the time. There are alternative ways to do most things. After setup, that is. I do backups via iTunes but even that can be done over wifi. Getting apps is one thing that you DON'T need iTunes for, however.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello to all you experts and knobs that read this.
I am a real knob regarding Ipad.

The reason I bought an Ipad was to use it to make music with the new Novation Launchpad S. connected to the Ipad, using the camera kit USB connector

Novation had put out two free programs,

launchpad 1.0.2.ipa 242.7megs
Launchkey 1.3.ipa 8.6 megs

I got them into Itunes but found it impossible to to get them into Ipad.
Using syncios I had no problem importing them into Ipad and they now sit on the screen with their own icons.
After linking Ipad and Launchpad S tried to get them to work no joy tapping the program icons they did nothing.
so no music.

I use PC's.
Just bought this Ipad about ten days ago.(My first experience with one)

It had been deleted of all its files and after setting it up with Itunes (a pain in the backside) I got it working.

after trying to add some music through itunes (my own mp3's) I gave up and went looking for a independent installer/converter. found one that seems OK. called Cyncios. Had no trouble using it and placed some Ableton Live tut movie on and some of my own mp3's.
when linking it again with Itunes found it wouldn't link and said it had to have a factory restore. (see my other thread).

After a lot of messing about I restored it loosing everything I had put on.
so, put some more movies(mp4) and mp3's back on and all is Ok.

checked with Itunes again and same thing won't link and asks to restore it.

Any thoughts on this would be welcome
regards,
Mike.

Did you try downloading the apps from the AppStore instead of the Internet? The only way to install an app onto your iPad is to get it from the AppStore.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would contact the developer, Novation, and see what they say. I have a very distinct feeling that the iPad 1 is no longer supported.

If you look in the AppStore, it says the apps require iOS 5.

OP
M

mikeee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just had a reply from admin at "Novation forums and

I quote/
Hi,

The Launchpad S is class compliant and should work with the Ipad 1.

Please contact novation support so we can further trouble shot your unit.
/endquote.

so will keep asking and will get this resolved eventually
regards,
Mike

OP
M

mikeee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps you should spend a bit more time getting used to the iPad general features before you launch into a difficult (for me anyway) project.
Everyone takes time to appreciate it's usefulness.
Then relaunch the app, then ask questions directly to the app makers.

I don't consider this a difficult project.
Basically I have connected OK with Itunes and have the two free apps in the Itunes library(my hard drive.)
Connecting the Ipad and launchpad S is very simple.
that is a USB connection with camera kit in series from Ipad to Launchpad.
the problem lies with Itunes showing it is syncing the 2 apps to my Ipad.. except they are not on my Ipad. Am going to see if I can sync any other apps form Itunes to Ipad.

Plus I have order a new cable for connecting Ipad to computer.
regards,
Mike.

OP
M

mikeee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you look in the AppStore, it says the apps require iOS 5.

Yes and my Ipad is iOS 5.1.1

a new development.
have just gone back to Itunes and connected with IPad and found a free games which I downloaded to library. then went to apps and now there are the three apps. the 2 from Novation and the game.
On the right handside of them is a "install" button for each app(3) which I have never seen before and so after clicking on them and installing I now can see the three apps on my Ipad. Yippee.
Now will see if the music ones work.
regards,
Mike.
(addenda)
24 hours later.
I have been successful with running the apps with IPad1 connected to Launchpad s and
have received an email this morning from
Novation technical support.

I quote/
Hi Mike,
Thanks for your email.
We recommend iPad 2 with iOS 5 and above. The CPU and graphics performance of iPad 1 aren't capable of running our apps unfortunately.
/endquote.

My next step is to find a way of restoring iOS 5.1.1 without using itunes.
In my opinion Itunes is a poorly constructed application.
Firstly:- when trying to restore through firefox. (25 times) no Joy.
restoring through IE no problem.
Secondly:- Itunes talks about max of 5 computers that it can be installed on.
for this Itunes does not identify the computer, I found that it identies the version of windows that is on the computer.
After formatting my OP partition and installing an WINupgrade .Itunes stated that it was another computer.
experimenting I formated again and reinstalled the same upgrade and Itunes did not send me a message stating I was on another computer.
regards,
Mike.

Last edited:
OP
M

mikeee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update.

I think Itunes is a real pain.
Have just been into Itunes and downloaded 2 more appls and when trying to sync them that is greyed out and the download buttona are now not there so cannot put them on My Ipad.

There was a comment from a member to me that millions of people are quite happy with Itunes. I wonder how he/she knows that.
After doing a lot of searching on the internet it obvious, there is/could be millions of people lookimg and finding ways to avoid using Itunes.

I am one of them. Goodbye itunes.

regards,
Mike.

Most reactions

Latest posts