1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

have unlimted web on my iphones..Any ideas for data plans for ipad3?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by Adrian23, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Adrian23

Adrian23 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Been with at&t for 5 years now and currently have unlimted web on my iphones can this in anyway be transfered to my ipad3? Any ideas for unlimited data plans or not to expensive plans?

thanks
  2. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    AFAIK, no U.S. carrier allows sharing of unlimited on iPad and iPhone if you're trying to maintain the plan you're on now.

If you want to tether, they make you drop unlimited, for instance. There are jailbroken people who secretly tether phone and tablet, but you'd have to get specifics from them, and if AT&T finds out, you risk losing your unlimited. (They basically look for surges in data use.)

There are new bucket data plans that allow sharing of data among devices, but they're so expensive compared with any grandfathered unlimited plan that there aren't many scenarios when it'd be worthwhile to switch plans.

I have grandfathered unlimited with AT&T for phone as well as iPad, but I've been paying for them separately because there's no blending of plans allowed.
  3. Adrian23

Adrian23 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How do you grandfather an account?
  4. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    A grandfathered account is just any old plan that a carrier has allowed you to keep despite them having discontinued offering it.

You don't do anything; as long as the company lets you keep it, then it's a grandfathered account. Carriers do that as a courtesy; they're not obligated to let you keep a plan indefinitely, and some carriers eliminate grandfathered accounts after a time.

If I remember right, Verizon's leadership recently said that it plans to phase out its grandfathered unlimited plans, for example, forcing all those customers into plans with data limits or higher prices.

I mentioned grandfathered accounts because your phone unlimited plan is probably such if you've had the same plan for five years. You probably would have to pay more or give up unlimited if you tweaked your plan.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  5. Adrian23

Adrian23 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Think i'll pass..