What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have any scratches, dings, or nicks on your iPad?

CupcakeKiller702

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Within hours of opening up the box I had numerous chips on the front glass. It slid out of my hands onto a plywood base with staples. The staples chipped the glass. I dusted it off, kissed it and put it into a jumbo ziplock baggie. I drove back to the best buy (300 miles from home and 50 miles from my vacation home) and bought the silicone case. I didn't take the iPad with me cuz I was scared to death that I would damage it even more. That was back in May. Since then I have never been more than 100 ft away or more than two waking hours with it off. I'm pretty careful with it.....but not overly so. I'll let anybody play with it including very young children. But they have to play while it's enclosed in the jumbo ziplock baggie.

And if one of those children has a tantrum and throws it down the stairs I will at least have all the broken parts together.

Oh my gosh, that's awful, and very comforting all the same. I don't feel so bad.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
aww! Your A Good Man Charlie Brown! I could NEVER let anyone play with my iPad without trippin and hovering!

I let the kids at work play with mine now and then....while I hold it at the table...but Yeah, 12 two yr olds all clamoring for a turn can be nerve racking....happy to have zagg shield.

Gemnilocs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was at a friends for Thanksgiving last night, and had a lot of fun watching them wince and squirm while their 3-year old daughter played with my iPad. It survived fine, minus a million tiny fingerprints. :)
yep, I let my lil 3 yr old nephew play games on it and my 7 year old cousin play angry birds and cut the rope..the parents were more
nervous than I was.just lots of fingerprints that can easily be cleaned.

hu_is_aira

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you really recommend putting a screen protector? I am thinking of buying, but not quite sure..

Tasty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No I do not have any dents or dings, I have a protector cover on the screen and the entire iPad enclosed in the Roof of Heaven teal blue iPad case.

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have none.:D One a one. I check every time I let the battery drain completely. The only time it turns off ~ gets a good cleaning!

Brand new and as smooth as the day I got it!

You?

Also none, because I handle it as carefully as I would Marie;)

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Screen protector just depends on how you're going to share it...if I wasn't going to let the daycare kids play with it I'd not use one.

vErTiScOpE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Scratched Ipad

This is pretty ironic but I had my apple store replaced iPad for 4days and invisible shield kiosk installer put a tiny chip scrape on the aluminum edge by the home button. I didn't realize this till I got in my car. I just about died. My first iPad had not one scratch on it. Im thinking she must have dropped it during the install. It is very difficult to scratch the aluminum. Ignorant people should be working at such places because the 64 gig iPad cost me a lot of money and I think anybody would understand why would so upset.

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have had my iPad2 for about two months. The glass screen has two very light scratches, one about 3/4" long and the other about 1/4". Barely noticeable to a finger nail across them, also has to be just the right light to be visible (mainly when the screen is dark). I have the leather smart cover, so not sure how I got the scratches. I will probably take it in to the Apple store, because will wonder if the scratch will elongate with time (like a ding in a car windshield). I think they are too small to photograph.

Also saw some marks on the back before I got my Great Shield cover, but that is sorted from here on.

Some small wear marks where the smart cover magnetics fit on; got rid of them with a pencil eraser.

Use a microfiber cloth to keep the screen clean (one in the car, one in my carry bag, one by the computer....). :)

Update: took the unit to the Apple store today to show them the glass surface scratch. They offered to consider exchanging it, but I think I will go with what I have. The scratch will be a reminder to me to be careful! They said that if it got worse to bring it in again. Nice folks.

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
None, it never leaves it's apple case unless I'm in bed. And that is rare as well. I'm a bit paranoid! Okay!!!

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

eddy20

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One very small one on the back, was so annoyed when I noticed it as I've been so careful with it, don't know when it happened. And all because my case was delayed shipping so it isn't in it yet lol

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do not care much about the back but I am paranoid about the glass. I do not use a screen protector. I had a Palm (anybody remembers?) and I did use a screen protector as the stylus was really scratching the pad but I still hated the protector.

Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig / using iPF

Uddl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't use a screen protector either, hate those things as well. So far I don't have any scratches on the glass, but just noticed that there's some dirt on it that won't go away with that soft and small cleaning towel thing. Do you have any ideas what I can use to clean the screen? Would water be alright? What kind of chemicals or non chemicals could I use in case the water won't help?

Most reactions

Latest posts