What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have 8 tabs open, then I open another?? Help???

Camdub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HellO. This really bugs the crap out of me and if anyone could help me that would be amazing. Anyways, when I have 8 tabs open in safari (I save webpages like that so I will remember if I need to buy something/ do something etc) and I click on a link and it opens a new tab, one of my 8 tabs is gone and it is replaced by the new tab. It really makes me mad because then I can't remember what I needed to do. If anyone could tell me why it does this or if they know where my other tab went, that would be awesome. Thanks!

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's just the limit, 8 tabs open at one time. However there is a browsing history that you can access to see where you've been. In safari, click the bookmark button to access bookmarks and then keep going backward till you see the History link. Also you can just bookmark the pages instead of keeping them open in tabs.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could try another browser app. There are a bunch of them. Atomic and Terra for instance, let you keep way more than eight tabs open.

By the way, I get nine screens on Safari. Are you guys using another version?

Last edited:

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
You could try another browser app. There are a bunch of them. Atomic and Terra for instance, let you keep way more than eight tabs open.

By the way, I get nine screens on Safari. Are you guys using another version?

8 is the limit. The 9th one is to open a new tab but it will close one to bring it back to 8 active tabs.

OP
C

Camdub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's just the limit, 8 tabs open at one time. However there is a browsing history that you can access to see where you've been. In safari, click the bookmark button to access bookmarks and then keep going backward till you see the History link. Also you can just bookmark the pages instead of keeping them open in tabs.

I knew 8 was the limit. I just wanted to figure out a way to recover my lost tabs or if I could change the settings so that links would redirect on the page I am already on rather than opening a new tab. You were very helpful though, thanks!! And you're right I completely forgot about bbookmarking stuff! I guess cause I thought I wouldn't think to go back into my bookmarks but anyways thanks a lot!

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a question, why do you open 7/8 tabs anyway?

Sent from my interestingcompanionPad using iPF!

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
biobunny said:

I tend to this when I'm reading my blogs and they have links and I click on it to open it so I can remember to read it after I've finished reading the entire current article. Also, sometimes I leave tabs there if I don't want to bookmark something but I just want to have it there for a couple hours until I'm done with it. For example, having multiple recipes open while I'm at the store is useful for me to shop and buy all groceries without having to actually make a shopping list. So many reasons!

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For example, having multiple recipes open while I'm at the store is useful for me to shop and buy all groceries without having to actually make a shopping list. So many reasons!

Perhaps you should check out epicurious in the app store...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
biobunny said:

Also, sometimes I leave tabs there if I don't want to bookmark something but I just want to have it there for a couple hours until I'm done with it. For example, having multiple recipes open while I'm at the store is useful for me to shop and buy all groceries without having to actually make a shopping list. So many reasons!

For this kind of stuff, I use screen capture, then delete when done.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both great ideas... Although having 8 tabs open is good enough for me so far

jillipoo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I knew 8 was the limit. I just wanted to figure out a way to recover my lost tabs...

Touch and hold the plus (+) button (the button like if u wanted to add a new tab) and a list of all your recently closed tabs will appear in a list & all you have to do is tap whichever one you desire to reopen :) Hope this helps!! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts