What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hate itunes.

Markb999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Must be the oldest question around for someone who has just been given an ipad but doesn't live in the Apple world.

I have music (MP3s), films (AVIs) and books (epubs) on my 1Tb external hard drive. Lots of them. Trying to get what I want into the ipad is a nightmare. Clearly Apple don't want you to do it so they can 'force' you to buy the stuff again from the Istore. Itunes is a dreadful piece of software.

So far. AVIs need to be converted before Itunes will recognise them then takes forever to transfer them to the tablet. MP3s are recognised but get converted on transfer so takes quite a while. Epubs I can live with just itunes is so awkward to use.

The PC doesn't recognise the ipad as an external device.

There must be a way to get the PC to recoginse the ipad and then simple drag and drop.... or do I have to bin the ipad and say never, ever, ever buy and Apple product again?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Must be the oldest question around for someone who has just been given an ipad but doesn't live in the Apple world.

I have music (MP3s), films (AVIs) and books (epubs) on my 1Tb external hard drive. Lots of them. Trying to get what I want into the ipad is a nightmare. Clearly Apple don't want you to do it so they can 'force' you to buy the stuff again from the Istore. Itunes is a dreadful piece of software.

So far. AVIs need to be converted before Itunes will recognise them then takes forever to transfer them to the tablet. MP3s are recognised but get converted on transfer so takes quite a while. Epubs I can live with just itunes is so awkward to use.

The PC doesn't recognise the ipad as an external device.

There must be a way to get the PC to recoginse the ipad and then simple drag and drop.... or do I have to bin the ipad and say never, ever, ever buy and Apple product again?

Yeah, a computer won't recognize the iPad as an external device (well, except for pictures). So, it's best to use iTunes for transfers.

Which is where I'm a bit confused. I use iTunes to put music on my iPad/iPhone and I don't have to convert my MP3 files to anything. I just load them up in iTunes, connect the iPad and then select/sync them over.

I put over 200 CDs into my iTunes (running on a Windows 7 PC; latest iTunes version) - they're all MP3s. And, as far as I can tell, any I select go onto the iPad with no trouble. Maybe you had some sort of "convert this" box ticked when you are putting them into iTunes...?

To transfer ePubs, I connect my iPad to iTunes, go to the Books tab and select the books I want to transfer to the iPad. iTunes does the work and then the ePubs are available to read in iBooks.

You can also put epubs, music and movies (avi files, too) onto the iPad via iTunes if you have an app that will interact with iTunes.

For example, I use the app "OPlayer HD" to view any .avi files I may have. I can/do use iTunes to put the .avi movie into the app. This option is available under the Apps tab in iTunes (when the iPad is connected). Once the movie shows in the app, I tap the sync button and iTunes puts the movie on the iPad. Then, I can open the app on my iPad and watch the .avi movie ... no converting necessary.

The same can be done for epubs (if you don't wish to use ebooks to view them). I put them into an app via iTunes, sync and then use that app to view the file.

Is there a specific step you are hung up on that we can [maybe] help with?

Marilyn

OP
M

Markb999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn,

Tried your OPlayer and of course it will play AVIs - I hadn't thought about going that kind of route. Don't like all the adverts so using VLC instead which does the job equally well. The music is still being converted from MP3 to AAC format on transfer in iTunes so takes a while and the Epubs, well they are so small that time is not a factor.

Still hate the way iTunes works and moving the films means I have to 'Sync' the device which then automatically runs a huge backup which I can't find a way of turning off (I'm a big enough boy to make up my own mind when it's appropriate to back stuff up; I don't need Apple or anyone else forcing my hand) - is they a way to turn it off? Incidentally the 'Sync' also deleted all my books from the iPad since I'd re-arranged the directories on the PC - couldn't find them where it was expecting them so deleted them; just great! Simple to put them back but clear that iTunes is not designed for people moving stuff computer to tablet, much more for tablet users who want backups on a computer.

Anyway downloaded iTools to the PC. Bit of software that recognises and reads the iPad and, whilst it's not quite drag and drop - have to use an 'import' button, it's simple, intuitive and much, much faster than iTunes.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. Not going to be quite as easy as I had hoped but it's a reasonable compromise.

Regards,
Mark

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn,

Tried your OPlayer and of course it will play AVIs - I hadn't thought about going that kind of route. Don't like all the adverts so using VLC instead which does the job equally well. The music is still being converted from MP3 to AAC format on transfer in iTunes so takes a while and the Epubs, well they are so small that time is not a factor.

Well, glad that bit worked for you and your .avi files (I don't have ads in my OPlayer HD ... think I paid for it way back in the day...).

I'm pretty sure you can change a setting in iTunes to stop it from converting your MP3s to AAC files. Try this (please):

(1) In iTunes, go to Edit > Preferences > General

(2) In the General pop-up box, look for a button titled "Import Settings..."; click on it

(3) The very top line of the new pop-up reads "Import Using:" with a drop down menu

(4) In that drop down is the option to import using "MP3 Encoder"

If you select that, does that stop iTunes from converting to AAC? I tried one song I had "laying around" and it's file extension remained MP3 after import...

Still hate the way iTunes works and moving the films means I have to 'Sync' the device which then automatically runs a huge backup which I can't find a way of turning off (I'm a big enough boy to make up my own mind when it's appropriate to back stuff up; I don't need Apple or anyone else forcing my hand) - is they a way to turn it off?

First, I feel your pain (annoyance?). I, too, cannot get iTunes to stop creating a backup. My Googling tells me it's part of the sync process and I can find no way around it.

Incidentally the 'Sync' also deleted all my books from the iPad since I'd re-arranged the directories on the PC - couldn't find them where it was expecting them so deleted them; just great! Simple to put them back but clear that iTunes is not designed for people moving stuff computer to tablet, much more for tablet users who want backups on a computer.

One "trick" I've found to get around iTunes changing a whole bunch of stuff on a sync is to do two things (as a habit/general rule) when I connect my iDevice to iTunes:

(1) I right click on the iPad line and select "Transfer Purchases" and

(2) Then I right click in the same spot and choose "Backup"

This, essentially makes iTunes match what is on the iPad versus the other way around. I've found that if I do this before any syncing, the only thing that then changes is the area I am trying to sync (e.g. my books stay during a sync because I've already "told" iTunes that thy]ey were on my iPad.

Anyway downloaded iTools to the PC. Bit of software that recognises and reads the iPad and, whilst it's not quite drag and drop - have to use an 'import' button, it's simple, intuitive and much, much faster than iTunes.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. Not going to be quite as easy as I had hoped but it's a reasonable compromise.

Regards,
Mark

I totally agree, iTunes is a bit finicky (especially for a Windows user!). But, since I really only use it to keep track of my apps and backups (I don't really have music & books on my iPad), I've learned to get along with it. :)

I am glad you're getting it sorted - even if you have to use other products. I've used iTools and I found it to be a great product.

Hopefully, as you become more familiar with the iPad, you'll develop a system that works for you. Just know we're here to help (or even just to socialize or to commiserate). :)

Marilyn

OP
M

Markb999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The MP3 issue is me being dumb. I had a 4Gb iPod Nano 2nd Gen for years. My music library is all MP3 320 so had set iTunes up to convert/transfer as AAC 128 - small, usually barely noticable with headphones, sacrifice in sound quality for 2.5x as many songs. Thanks for the heads-up.

One thing I have noticed with all this playing around transferring stuff on/off, adding/deleting, is that there seems to be some small memory capacity loss - only small but when I add something then delete it I don't get 100% of the space back. Is that normal and is there an easy way to 'clean-up'/release the freespace? 16Gb iPad mini, not a problem at the moment but, with only 16Gb, it's all precious.

Regards,
Mark

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, there is a bunch of system stuff that happens, so you get a lot of stray stuff stored. It usually isn't a problem (as it really doesn't get too big).

However, here's a good article that explains what is happening "behind the scenes" and how you may be able to clean up some of the storage:

http://osxdaily.com/2013/07/24/remove-other-data-storage-iphone-ipad/

Hope it helps.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .
First, I feel your pain (annoyance?). I, too, cannot get iTunes to stop creating a backup. My Googling tells me it's part of the sync process and I can find no way around it. . .

Marilyn

Go to the iTunes Preferences, the Devices tab, and turn off automatic syncing. It should prevent automatic backups as well.

This should uncheck and gray out the "Open iTunes when this iPad is Connected" option on the Summary page (Shown when iPad is connected and selected in iTunes).

You will now have to launch iTunes manually, select the iPad in iTunes, and click on the Sync button in order to sync. The pay off is that you will never sync or backup except when you want to.

I'm pretty sure this separates the backup and sync, so that you only get the one you select. If it does not, then you'll probably have to switch to automatic iCloud backups. At which point the iPad will only backup to the computer when you tell it to.

I like doing it this way. The iCloud backup is quick, happens when the iPad is not being used (plugged in, wi-fi available, and sleeping) usually in the middle of the night. I perform the iTunes backup, manually, once or twice a month. Just in case the iCloud backup fails, or I accidentally make some unwanted changes that get backed up to iCloud.

OP
M

Markb999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn. Reading the link suggests to me to do it the old fashioned way i.e. take a backup, reset to factory setting so perfectly clean then update iOS to current and set that as a restore point. Then reload data/apps from the original backup.

Bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut but it's simple, albeit maybe take a while, and always going to work.

Warming to the little beast each time I use it and with useful help from the Forum it's going to be fine. All your help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As usual TPoet , you are full of great information!
What would you miss most if you lost the info on your iPad if the backup failed and you lost it all? You don't have to be specific ...privacy counts, but I think I would miss my emails most. I could always get most of the photo's back, and YouTube I could just sign in for the video's I love.
So, if it's not too personal to ask, what would you hate to lose most?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As usual TPoet , you are full of great information!
What would you miss most if you lost the info on your iPad if the backup failed and you lost it all? You don't have to be specific ...privacy counts, but I think I would miss my emails most. I could always get most of the photo's back, and YouTube I could just sign in for the video's I love.
So, if it's not too personal to ask, what would you hate to lose most?

Well, I'm not sure it is possible, realistically, for me to lose anything significant when it comes to files or pictures. I might lose the last few I took on the device itself, but that's about all.

I don't depend on the iCloud, or even the iTunes backups on their own. Even if my place burned down, almost everything exists in some kind of online backup, often in more than one. Besides the local TimeMachine backup, my entire computer is backed up online using BackBlaze. That includes any iTunes backups I've done for the iPad, and all the stuff stored in iCloud's document syncing folders.

But assuming everything got hit in some kind of perfect storm of data loss, I'd miss my pictures, and my archive of personal and professional documents the most. The first for nostalgia, the second because there is a lot of information tucked away that I might need, and will never remember. Just too many details.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I knew you where too smart to miss junk! :) Did you know that if the next major sun flare is facing the earth it will destroy all things computer related! :eek: I watched it on Nat Geo the other day. It happened once when there was only telegraph lines for communication! However, every wire caught on fire as did the telegraph buildings - burnt to the ground! :(Do you mind telling me the last time you accessed the info you would miss?:rolleyes: Not the photos - the important info! How long ago did you last access it?o_O

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I had to get some old employment data about a month ago. I'm bad with exact dates, so I almost always have to look those things up.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Now that's IMPRESSIVE!!!:) I was expecting you to say a # of years!
Hey, I just saw the on the news that Washington State is considered to be going through a drought! How are things in Walla Walla? Dry?:(
I sure hope not! You might get a storm tomorrow ! Sorry to go so far off topic! I will stop now!:oops:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you had asked a month ago it would have been "# years ago".

Walla Walla's been hot, but there have been no water restrictions set, so it's not critically droughty.

Most reactions

Latest posts