What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has the iPad made "pageramming" the future of iBooks?

ipadlightly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first pageramming site, pageram.net - fiction becomes reality, has been launched.

With the arrival of the iPad and its clones, is pageramming the future of iBooks and online-publishing in general?

A pageram is a novel that is enriched by the opportunities that browser-based publishing provides. As the story unfolds, not only do you get to know the characters, but you can listen to their music, see their neighbourhoods, and hear their thoughts. This multi-senses approach also includes a fully-integrated “ramaudio†that is read by the author.

The new site is the result of collaboration between Oxford-based innovator, Will Flavin, and writer Rob Mumford.

“I had the idea 18 months ago, and straightaway I knew it was likely to divide opinion,†says Will. “Books are a perfect medium, and if you play around with them then you are going to get feedback whether you want it or not. What has surprised me is that the division is not as clear as I expected. There is a group that loves what we have done. And, whilst the other group may not be quite as enthusiastic, they really want to discuss the concept. I find this even more exciting because some of the suggestions have been very exciting and positive – particularly regarding possible new applications.â€

Pageramming gives an author tools to enrich a story, such as elegant solutions to include material from YouTube, Facebook, StreetView and other favorite sites.

“I wrote the story in 2009, and Will thought it was ideal for ramming,†says Rob. “For an author, this new approach is very liberating. It lets you include so much more material, and it makes you think in new ways. The additional content – known as rams and ramlets – can be very straight forward, or very subtle. For example, during one passage, the mother of the main character is able to comment wistfully on her son’s behaviour, despite the fact that she does not appear in the main story.â€

The first site is designed for fiction, but early feedback has revealed that the underlying principles could be applied to academic, or to children’s publishing.

The site will welcome submissions from authors in October, with the aim to test the concept further, and to introduce new features.

“A pageram is genuinely different from a conventional book or a current eBook,†adds Rob. “Will and I have been excited about it for a while, but then we saw it on an iPad, and we nearly cried. It just looked so good. It came to life. If pageramming has a future, then it will be because of the iPad and its spinoffs.â€

Pageram.net is where fiction becomes reality.

Will and Rob welcome all feedback – both friendly and brutal.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Doubt it, but the idea is fun (at least the story is) and I expect we will see more attempts to expand the boundaries as artists play with the possibilities of the medium.

OP
I

ipadlightly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad you like the story and that you use the word "fun". That is what the concept is meant to be. If people like it, it's good. If they don't, then at least we tried.

OP
I

ipadlightly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm amazed how much traffic this post has generated for the site. Thanks to everybody that has bothered to check it out. Feedback has been good and very valuable.

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, it is an interesting idea, but I find it distracting. It makes it hard to stay "in" the story. What I really didn't like was when the link opened a new window.....that really took me out of the story! The one that opened on the same page and the comments on the right were better, but still distracting. Maybe I am doing it wrong, and should read the chapter straight through and the go back and read the links? Maybe all this other info should be put at the end.... as an in depth look or "the rest of the story" appendix.

Maybe I am too old school, I like to immerse myself in the book I am reading and can't get to that place with all the clicking of links and going out of the story. I don't twitter or facebook, not into all the social networking, jumping from one place to another in short spurts...... maybe it is a generational thing. Personally, I wouldn't pay money for this type of ebook. Just my $0.02.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't pay money for this type of ebook. Just my $0.02.
I am with you Lavender, but just because its not something I necessarily would be interested in, I think Apple really needs to do something to make their mark in electronic publishing... if that is their intention.

I think a lot of people would agree that the iBook app actually has one of the presentations of all of the e-readers, but by the same token, their selection can't begin to touch Amazon. And while the overall Kindle environment sets the bar for electronic publication distributing, the Kindle app itself is pretty "plain Jane".

And it has always puzzled me... why do people put their 2¢ in, but its only a penny for your thoughts? Where does the extra 1¢ go?

realtor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't used it, but it definetly sounds interesting. I think it will come in handy more with learning then with reading for pure enjoyment.

Most reactions

Latest posts