What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has the iPad Killed the Netbook?

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nope. Not until you can connect and control commercial hardware with an iPad.

We do custom graphics for vehicles, window graphics, sings, banners and sports uniforms. Until an iPad can run commercial vinyl cutters, plotters and printers my Toshiba netbook will be my go to device. I cold run the equipment from a PC but the netbook is a lot more convienent.

D

Deleted member 247820

Netbooks deserved to die. Just a bad idea 360 degrees.

Hello AQ.
Er, let me say, that just because you say something, that does not make it true.
The same if I say something!

D

Deleted member 247820

At last, someone who agrees with me. Good for you because you are korrect, sir! We love our iPads but they cannot replace a netbook.

You might try installing Winstep Extreme and increase the WOW factor ten fold.

Hello Bob, I will look to install Winstep Extreme, thanks.

D

Deleted member 247820

Horses for courses!

At the local library the other day.

Uni students were using about 6 or 7 netbooks.
Saw about the same number of laptops.
Saw about 0 iPads.
All PCs in use.

Don't shoot me I'm just the messenger who happens to own an iPad 2 among various other PCs.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Horses for courses!

Saw about 0 iPads.
All PCs in use.

Don't shoot me I'm just the messenger who happens to own an iPad 2 among various other PCs.

At any one of a dozen Starbucks around Edmonton, I can walk in and see around 4 Apple laptops in use and 0 Windows laptops. Unless I happen to have mine, the number of iPads around is usually 0, the same as net books.

So people who drink expensive coffee tend to buy Apples, and students living on a budget buy the cheapest they can get a hold of.

I have noticed that iPads get used in Tim Hortons and that laptops are roughly split 50/50 Apple/PC. Again, no netbooks.

No surprises so far. Some Windows users drink Tim Hortons coffee? Too small a sample, I guess. In the name of science, I will start drinking more coffee, but what should I take with me? According to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, I will be affecting the outcome of the experiment by observing it, so I'm in a quandary. If I go in disguise and take my wife's Lenovo or Blackberry Playbook, I will be introducing a sport into the Apple dominated world of Starbucks, and if I take my MBP into Tim Hortons I will be doing the same, but in reverse. My head hurts.

Sent from my stock iPad 2

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At any one of a dozen Starbucks around Edmonton, I can walk in and see around 4 Apple laptops in use and 0 Windows laptops. Unless I happen to have mine, the number of iPads around is usually 0, the same as net books.

So people who drink expensive coffee tend to buy Apples, and students living on a budget buy the cheapest they can get a hold of.

I have noticed that iPads get used in Tim Hortons and that laptops are roughly split 50/50 Apple/PC. Again, no netbooks.

No surprises so far. Some Windows users drink Tim Hortons coffee? Too small a sample, I guess. In the name of science, I will start drinking more coffee, but what should I take with me? According to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, I will be affecting the outcome of the experiment by observing it, so I'm in a quandary. If I go in disguise and take my wife's Lenovo or Blackberry Playbook, I will be introducing a sport into the Apple dominated world of Starbucks, and if I take my MBP into Tim Hortons I will be doing the same, but in reverse. My head hurts.

Sent from my stock iPad 2

There might be some kind of demographic correlation, but I own lots of stuff, and I just used it for different things.

I've always owned laptops, because I prefer the portability and horsepower. When netbooks came along, I bought those as well, because they were smaller and lighter, so I'd use my laptop at my desk, to do heavier-duty stuff, and surf on netbooks while on my couch or out and about. I found netbooks so convenient for that.

When iPad came along, it basically replaced netbooks for me, though I still have two relatively new ones in very good shape. If I needed to do more than iPad, but less than my laptop allowed, I'd still my netbooks.

I drink Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts interchangeably -- chai at Starbucks and coffee at Dunkin'. For me, drinks, like computer hardware, will always depend on my preference at the time, rather than my wallet.

D

Deleted member 247820

There might be some kind of demographic correlation, but I own lots of stuff, and I just used it for different things.

I've always owned laptops, because I prefer the portability and horsepower. When netbooks came along, I bought those as well, because they were smaller and lighter, so I'd use my laptop at my desk, to do heavier-duty stuff, and surf on netbooks while on my couch or out and about. I found netbooks so convenient for that.

When iPad came along, it basically replaced netbooks for me, though I still have two relatively new ones in very good shape. If I needed to do more than iPad, but less than my laptop allowed, I'd still my netbooks.

I drink Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts interchangeably -- chai at Starbucks and coffee at Dunkin'. For me, drinks, like computer hardware, will always depend on my preference at the time, rather than my wallet.

Hello KayK.
You are lucky as your heart can rule your head. (Several PCs).
Here in Australia, most of these coffee shops have surprisingly bad Internet connections.
By that I mean slow slow! So I bought a 3G SIM for the iPad.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello KayK.
You are lucky as your heart can rule your head. (Several PCs).
Here in Australia, most of these coffee shops have surprisingly bad Internet connections.
By that I mean slow slow! So I bought a 3G SIM for the iPad.

Personally, I avoid all public wifi, free or otherwise, because I wouldn't want to risk exposing my personal data, email, social network, etc., to whomever might be trolling the wifi network. Unless you have VPN, you're at risk. That's why I prefer to pay for 3G/4G. Nothing is uncrackable if someone really wants in, but with public wifi, the door is usually wide open.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Horses for courses!

Saw about 0 iPads.
All PCs in use.

In the US, several years ago, I saw lots of university students using netbooks. Now they are all but gone....replaced by larger laptops, tablets, and phones. With the 5-inch phones, students can carry lecture notes on those....and use the laptop only when needed. Also, students don't seem to care too much about weight, which amazes me, but they are still young and invincible.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the US, several years ago, I saw lots of university students using netbooks. Now they are all but gone....replaced by larger laptops, tablets, and phones. With the 5-inch phones, students can carry lecture notes on those....and use the laptop only when needed. Also, students don't seem to care too much about weight, which amazes me, but they are still young and invincible.

Laptops have gotten lighter, so that's a plus. With more online material and ebooks, students can also carry fewer heavy print books nowadays. But lugging around heavy bags everyday isn't good for anyone -- they might not realize. The younger they are, the worse the effect can be in some instances:

Personal Health: Heavy Backpacks Can Spell Chronic Back Pain for Children - NYTimes.com

D

Deleted member 247820

Of course, netbook makers still have 2014 to look forward to, which is expected to drop even further to around 250,000 units shipped before finally sliding off the cliff entirely in 2015.

Well if I get one in 2015 it will last me the rest of my life.

Kriztyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes and no. The ipad in my eyes is a fun to use product, which is less targeted to get your work done, thus the missing keyboard. In order to make the iOS more productive Apple needs to restyle it first and offer slim keyboard covers like the one from windows surface.

Most reactions