What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

has anyone used the htc evos 4g to connect to their ipad?

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Works quite well. In fact during the keynote for Android 2.2 Google showed using a preproduction EVO 4G to put an iPad WiFi online. Got a good laugh.

There is also a video of an EVO 4G owner using face time on his iPhone 4 over tethered 3G to prove that Apple wasn't being entirely honest about Facetime only working with WiFi because 3G is too slow.

DroidUser84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wrecklass, to be fair, 3G on AT&T probably isn't capable of it as AT&T really is a pretty crappy provider. If it was Verizon 3G, or probably even Sprint 3G then that would be a world of difference.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wrecklass, to be fair, 3G on AT&T probably isn't capable of it as AT&T really is a pretty crappy provider. If it was Verizon 3G, or probably even Sprint 3G then that would be a world of difference.

Exactly the point. Get a Wifi only iPad and an EVO 4G with tethering with unlimited bandwidth on Sprint for $30/mo. Vs AT&T with 2GB bandwidth for $25. Simple math.

tosh.jc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If that is Sprint's data package, it's an infinitely better deal than the native 3G capability. You're not likely to ever get a 4G connection, as Sprint's 4G is a farce anyway, but the unlimited data + tethering for $30/month is unbeatable, especially since AT&T doesn't even have unlimited data plans anymore unless you're grandfathered in.

Can you get a smartphone with Sprint as a data-only device (without voice function)? I had a Spring phone about ten years ago, and it was the worst service I've ever had, even worse than AT&T at its worst.

bennieridder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I completely agree with you.

Thanks for sharing that.

mjeagent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with most of the posts above, it does work considerably well. I would like to note though that it is (among many other things) a battery killer - to the EVO.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not true. Plenty of us with i4s use Facetime via at&t 3G. Works quite acceptably. You just need to be jailbroken and use 3G Unrestrictor or My3G.

And to be SOMEWHAT on topic, I use my i4 with MyWi to feed 3G to my iPad. I couldn't see getting a 3G iPad when I have a hot spot with my anyway.

Michael

jays0n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my Clearwire 4G hotspot with mine all the time, works awesome, same network that the Sprint EVO uses when at 4G.

Last edited:

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If that is Sprint's data package, it's an infinitely better deal than the native 3G capability. You're not likely to ever get a 4G connection, as Sprint's 4G is a farce anyway, but the unlimited data + tethering for $30/month is unbeatable, especially since AT&T doesn't even have unlimited data plans anymore unless you're grandfathered in.

Can you get a smartphone with Sprint as a data-only device (without voice function)? I had a Spring phone about ten years ago, and it was the worst service I've ever had, even worse than AT&T at its worst.
So without having a Sprint device you discovered that 4G is a farce how exactly? Read it somewhere I suspect. Cause you can believe everything on the interwebs ;)

Seriously though if your last Sprint phone was a decade ago I can only say from my experience as a Sprint Customer for 10+ years that they are considerably better.

Sprint does have 3G and 4G hotspot modems for very low price if you just need data. However many of there plans have a built in soft cap around 5GB. At which point downloads will be throttled, but not cut off.

The EVO 4G has no data limits. But there is a premium price.

You can read details elsewhere, but comparisons show the EVOs data plan with the premium is cheaper than AT&T and Verizons, without those companies limits.

Most reactions

Latest posts