What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

has anyone made there own iPad stand?

Noozie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Step 1: http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/7291/59932664.jpg
Step 2: http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/9021/86390777.jpg
Step 3: http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/4785/333oi.jpg

Result:
42485353.jpg

A ipad chair that works good enough for me to watch movies on at my night table, etc.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd like to give it a go.
I'm wondering what materials I should use?
wood preferably, because it will be hard for me to work metal, unless im just bending. I only have access to saws hammers nails and glue.

That is not a barrier. I'll try to find a picture of a stand a friend made using parts and components from the hardware store. I did not like it because it was a bit large. I think the built-in coffee cup holders were a bit much. And no iPad stand should require a gun mount.

Seriously, I'll find some details and post them. I hope you have Flash or you can't see the images.

I once considered milling a thin profile solid aluminum case from billet. Might still give it a go. Kind of a iPadAIR sort of thing that is so expensive, it will be very popular.

Anyone want to purchase a 700.00 solid billit iPad case?

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have one of those folding book stands from Levenger (the overpriced reading stuff/writing stuff outfit). It closes down to about the size of a small paperback and opens up to various angles. Holds the iPad like it was made for it. It also fits up against the Apple B/T kb when it goes in my briefcase. Now that I've said how much I like the gizmo I'll confess I went on the Levenger site and apparently they no longer carry the little beauty. Bids on mine?

eddie7457

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a chrome recipe book stand from TK Max for £3.99. It has three positional settings and is very lightweight. My daughter ws so impressed she bought one too, highlt recommended. By the way, we never remove our i- pads from their official rubber protective cases so their is not a single scratch on either of them.

mrbose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an IHome it has stereo speakers and is a docking station for your IPad,IPhone or IPod 78.99 @ Costco

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep,from an old iPod Nano 2nd gen box. Take out the plate that holds the iPod, turn it 45 degrees and affix it under large part of the box. You can store your power adapter in the box.

zs2005zs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
eddie7457 said:
I bought a chrome recipe book stand from TK Max for £3.99. It has three positional settings and is very lightweight. My daughter ws so impressed she bought one too, highlt recommended. By the way, we never remove our i- pads from their official rubber protective cases so their is not a single scratch on either of them.

Let me give the feedback from the other side of the spectrum: we take it everywhere, and we love it on the hikes. Nothing better than home educating our children in nature, outdoors. iPad is the first device that really enabled us to do that.
Finally I have a way to raise techno savvy kids naturally. Who cares about scratch? It is just a device that is going be absolite in a few years. What we use it is important. Worship no technology, appreciate nature, your fame.y and relax.
That is my motto, and while I drive a beat up car, I do by the best tools for education and yes we do take care of it, but use it in all places.
Who is right? We both Re. You are for your life dynamics and I am for mine. Now the interesting question is how people use their iPads? Like you or like me or somewhere between?
But end of the day who cares?
Perhaps apple do and I hope they do. Thus far I managed to take good care of our two months old iPad
Used heavily among the entire family and that includes a 4 & 6 years old. We climbed couple of mountains, went for number of hikes and be outdoors as often we could.
It is holding up and I do not dare to expose it to water but I'd like to see an iPad in my lifetime that is water resistant and if I choose to sit in the bottom of the swimming pool, it can come with me and keep my company. When Apple can do that, I bet the iPads will be 100% scratch resistant too. What do you think?

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My ipad DIY Stand

Made with white board plastic, stuck together with duck tape so it folds in three to put in bag, the last photo is how its put together.
339089828.302346.jpg339089794.467883.jpg339089668.863395.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is holding up and I do not dare to expose it to water but I'd like to see an iPad in my lifetime that is water resistant and if I choose to sit in the bottom of the swimming pool, it can come with me and keep my company. When Apple can do that, I bet the iPads will be 100% scratch resistant too. What do you think?

One can always dream of features Apple could add and when we are done, we have a 12 pound iPad with a folding keyboard, a thicker package, and far more costly because of the extra materials required to render it scratch resistant. The problem is how much cost can be added to the device to make it waterproof so it can be used at the bottom of the pool will customers tolerate? As for scratch resistance, not an issue. It really depends upon how you take care of your iPad.

eddie7457

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of the recipe book stand I use as an i-pad stand. As you can see, it is a perfect size, lightweight, three positional and folds flat when required. 3.99 is not bad is it? I've just found a slight fault with the bluetooth keyboard I bought from Asda, it appears to be missing a pound sign!

Attachments

• image-1593012529.png
    image-1593012529.png
    356.8 KB · Views: 462
  • image-3824478078.png
    image-3824478078.png
    389.4 KB · Views: 450

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
eddie7457 said:
Here are a couple of pics of the recipe book stand I use as an i-pad stand. As you can see, it is a perfect size, lightweight, three positional and folds flat when required. 3.99 is not bad is it? I've just found a slight fault with the bluetooth keyboard I bought from Asda, it appears to be missing a pound sign!

Not bad at all, haven't thought about that

1096bimu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought a wire photo frame stand from dollar store and reworked the corners to fit the iPad, only it doesn't have room for the dock connector on the bottom, so of I want portrait I have to put it up side down. Added friction sheet rolled onto the frame for stability and protection (for my iPad).

Most reactions

Latest posts