What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone else found the new iPad has a less neutral white balance/ color palette?

pixelpeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK it is kind of subtle...after turning up the brightness to full. But right away when my new iPad arrived the screen looked a bit...dim and muddy. After turning the brightness up to max it no longer looks muddy. But viewing my photos the white balance is not perfect, a bit into the green end of the spectrum. Now it does not jump out at you in every photo. But ten percent in ten percent the foliage looks a bit too green, and the shadows in white walls shot outside are not grey lor lesser white but slightly green cast. In my iPad2 colors are more nautral...it tends to lean a little to the red but it is not as noticeable and is much more neutral than my new iPad. Also skin tones are more accurate with my iPad2.

I called Apple Support and did a complete system restore, but no change. They said to bring it to an Apple Store for replacement. But over on ZDnet they did an article with a shot of the new iPad next to the iPad2 and you can see the iPad2 has a more neutral white, second set of
photos.

.New iPad not a must-have, but an amazing display | ZDNet

There is no way to calibrate the screen as one would in a "real computer". I have read that all the new iPad
Screens are supplied by Samsung, and I have also read that some are supplied by LG and Sharp. If different
Ipads have different screen suppliers I can understand some may look better than others, in which case I might
benefit from swapping for a different iPad.

Just wondering if any others are seeing a just slightly less than acceptable white balance on their new iPads?

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might want to try another iPad. Judging from iPads 1 and 2:

My iPad 1 is true white. My husband's iPad 1 is yellowish. My iPad 2 is yellowish. (I happen to prefer yellowish.) When iPad 2 came out, some users complained about yellowish tint (overall, not blotches), while others said theirs were true white. Seems that it can depend on the batch.

OP
P

pixelpeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Kay, I would really like to keep a new iPad...but this was a little disappointing.

dalepa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pixelpeeper said:
OK it is kind of subtle...after turning up the brightness to full. But right away when my new iPad arrived the screen looked a bit...dim and muddy. After turning the brightness up to max it no longer looks muddy. But viewing my photos the white balance is not perfect, a bit into the green end of the spectrum. Now it does not jump out at you in every photo. But ten percent in ten percent the foliage looks a bit too green, and the shadows in white walls shot outside are not grey lor lesser white but slightly green cast. In my iPad2 colors are more nautral...it tends to lean a little to the red but it is not as noticeable and is much more neutral than my new iPad. Also skin tones are more accurate with my iPad2.

I called Apple Support and did a complete system restore, but no change. They said to bring it to an Apple Store for replacement. But over on ZDnet they did an article with a shot of the new iPad next to the iPad2 and you can see the iPad2 has a more neutral white, second set of
photos.

.New iPad not a must-have, but an amazing display | ZDNet

There is no way to calibrate the screen as one would in a "real computer". I have read that all the new iPad
Screens are supplied by Samsung, and I have also read that some are supplied by LG and Sharp. If different
Ipads have different screen suppliers I can understand some may look better than others, in which case I might
benefit from swapping for a different iPad.

Just wondering if any others are seeing a just slightly less than acceptable white balance on their new iPads?

Yes, first thing I noticed when comparing to my ipad 1 was the white balance difference. My iPad 3 has a bluish or almost purple tent to it which makes some yellows look green.

Is there a way to adjust white balance?

May have to return this one...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Kay, I would really like to keep a new iPad...but this was a little disappointing.

I meant you might want to try another new iPad. You could stick with the same model, but get one from a different batch, which might give you the truer color balance that you seek.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
mine looks fine.

I remember last time that people complained about a yellowish tint and it ended up being that the glue that holds that screen onto the glass had not fully cured since it takes a few days and the iPads had just rolled off the production line. after a few days it went away. This may or may not be the case with the current iPads.

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Something I have noticed is that when the Auto-Brightness box is checked, my screen has the yellow tint. Unchecked, it has a brighter white.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mine looks fine.

I remember last time that people complained about a yellowish tint and it ended up being that the glue that holds that screen onto the glass had not fully cured since it takes a few days and the iPads had just rolled off the production line. after a few days it went away. This may or may not be the case with the current iPads.

So does it mean the second batch of iPad-3 might not have these issues ?

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wokiebear said:
Something I have noticed is that when the Auto-Brightness box is checked, my screen has the yellow tint. Unchecked, it has a brighter white.

This is down to the LEDs used in the backlight. The brighter they are the more white they appear. Auto-brightness is just turning up the brightness to compensate for ambient lighting.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So does it mean the second batch of iPad-3 might not have these issues ?

That's hit or miss. My iPad 1 (purchased on 3G model's debut, so presumably among the first produced) is true white. My husband's iPad 1, purchased right after iPad 2 debuted (a year into iPad 1 production), is yellowish.

His iPad 1's yellowish has nothing to do with glue. Same for my iPad 2, which would've been among the second wave of that model's release. Both started out yellowish and have remain unchanged for nearly a year.

I prefer the warmer yellow, and my husband barely uses his iPad; we've never considered it a problem.

Last edited:

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can people here who have this display issues problem put the Batch Number of the iPad that they have got ? (is there any way to know that)

5er driver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine's perfect, otherwise I would have filmed it's flight path and posted it here.

Augustya, buy one. If you don't like it, return it. Simple.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine's perfect, otherwise I would have filmed it's flight path and posted it here.

Augustya, buy one. If you don't like it, return it. Simple.

If I buy it overseas like in the U.S I wonder if I will be able to exchange it locally ?

Most reactions

Latest posts