What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard drive crash

nemeckx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My mac hard drive crashed and my backup drive was only able to capture a third of my photos from over the years. My ipad does have every photo from iphoto, all the ones my backup drive is missing. Of course when I go to sync my ipad with itunes it want to erase all photos and replace and I do not want to do this. I was able to find software to recover all my music that was missing and not have it erased, is there anything I can do for my photos?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Photo Transfer app ($2.99 USD in the App Store ... I think) will let you send the photos to your computer over the same wifi network. It'll be a bit of a slow process, since there is a limit on the number you can send at any one time. But - I've used it and it's great (you can download a zip file or individual photos to your computer).

Or - you can e-mail them to yourself - but that'd probably be too much.

I can't think of anything else. There are other apps, I believe, but I can't remember what they are off the top of my head. Plus, there is some sort of file manager program you can download to your computer that'll let you see your photos. But, I don't know how well it works, or if it works with an un-jailbroken iPad.

Not much help, I know. But, I am sure others will have other ideas.

Good luck.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
GoodReader is also an option. You can import photos into GoodReader and then use it to upload them to a server like iDisk or DropBox. It is a little less trouble than the email option, since you select each photo with a tap, and there is no limit to how many photos you can choose at one time.

Photos can also be zipped into an archive. That will get around Mail's 5 photo limit, but the file might end up being to big to go through the servers.

iDisk costs money, of course, but you can set up a DropBox account for free. As long as you don't have more than 2GB of photos it would be tedious, but not hard.

Another possibility is to use an online photo service like Flickr or PhotoBucket. You can upload all your photos, and have access to them almost anywhere. They can be downloaded again later when you need them. But be sure to go into the app's settings and make sure you upload Full Sized photos, or you'll lose the original's quality. The app I use for Flickr is FlickrStackr. I don't know what the best PhotoBucket app is.

FlickrStackr will let you select lots of pictures at once, and organize them by album on the Flickr site. You'll need to set up a flickr.com account.

I'm sure there is a better solution. But I don't have any experience with the apps involved.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One old technicians trick is to place the harddrive in the freezer for a couple of hours to try and reset the heads. Make sure it's tightly sealed in a plastic bag though!

If you can then get it to boot it should give you half an hours life to rip the info off straight away. GL

OP
N

nemeckx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help/suggestions. I will look and all and with any luck transfer these back, there are several hundred as about two years were lost. Three years were saved though, trying to be positive. Suggestion to Apple if you read this, remove the erase option on sync, it should not be this hard!

Spongebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would also suggest the freezer trick. I saved data off a laptop drive that was unbootable.

Most reactions

Latest posts