Happy Birthday to the World Wide Web

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by scifan57, Mar 12, 2019.

1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    In March of 1989 Sir Tim Berners-Lee wrote a proposal which laid the foundation of what we know as the World Wide Web. The World Wide Web: The Invention That Connected The World - Google Arts & Culture
    The internet already existed but the invention of the World Wide Web allowed computers to directly access documents and information stored on other internet connected computers.

#1 scifan57, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    NPR this morning had a short piece on this topic w/ an interview w/ Tim Berners-Lee (cannot remember if new or an older one?). Of course, the start of the WWW centered around 'web browsers' - see first pic below of their early history from Mosaic (1993) to Safari (2003) (and beyond - LINK). I had been on the internet before the WWW era, i.e. Windows DOS w/ text-based interface (seems primitive now but was exciting then), then Mosaic (and soon Netscape) came out which we ran under Windows for Workgroups w/ a LOT of difficulty (back then still on dialup) - not until Windows 95 and finally cable internet did all run much smoother - was a frustrating transition. In retirement, switched back to Apple and using Safari primarily.

For those interested in this history, I finished the book below early in the year - an excellent read. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 11.21.11 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 11.23.22 AM.png