What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Handwriting essay

pj2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

I am wondering is Writepad or any other note taking app with hand writing recognition on ipad good enough to write assignments with.

I normally hand write my assignments and then have to type them on the computer.

It would be great if I could write directly into Write-pad and have my hand written assignment draft converted to typed text. Am I asking too much ?

Thanks guys.

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even on a PC that's a tall, glitchy order. Why don't you just type out the draft, if you don't mind me asking?

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably because it takes a lot longer to type than to write.

I have notepad plus with a stylus and it works very well, although my handwriting still sucks :(

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Probably because it takes a lot longer to type than to write.

I have notepad plus with a stylus and it works very well, although my handwriting still sucks :(

If you have poor handwriting then you will have very mixed success with handwriting recognition. It may be worth trying to see how you get on but it sounds like you may be better off served by just sticking to a notepad & pen and type it up later as you currently do.

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's notes plus, btw... But this is not handwriting recognition, just handwriting in the notes. Good for jotting things down. Typing one handed on this is a bit challenging ;)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

I am wondering is Writepad or any other note taking app with hand writing recognition on ipad good enough to write assignments with.

I normally hand write my assignments and then have to type them on the computer.

It would be great if I could write directly into Write-pad and have my hand written assignment draft converted to typed text. Am I asking too much ?

Thanks guys.

I think "WritePad" (for the iPad) may come the closest to what you're looking for. It's available in the app store for $10.

WritePad – Handwriting Recognition Engine – iPad App Review | PadGadget

I have a feeling, though, that even if this app works as intended you may find it less than optimal for what you have in mind. And that's due to limitations of the iPad for handwritten input. I've tried nearly a dozen note taking apps (including Notes+ and Note Taker HD, the best I've found) and they all suffer from similar problems.

What it amounts to is that writing on the iPad as if it were a piece of paper is simply difficult. The letters are just too large unless you "zoom" in to enter the text. Yes, you can adjust to the approach and the better note taking apps provide assistance in that regard. But it's still not like being able to write LARGE and tiny at a whim or place a note out to the side of text you've already entered, all at a whim with no practice.

I have a feeling that you'd like to compose a whole page of handwritten text and have it "translated" into formatted typed text. Operating in much the same way that you look at a page of handwritten text and "translate" it as you type. That, I think, isn't going to happen. The cpu power required to process such large amounts of input and unique formatting just isn't available on the iPad or even on more powerful computing platforms, I suspect.

Instead, WritePad asks you to write one word at a time which it then translates into typed text at the top of your screen, doing the transformation of each word in real time. However, this may work well for you, especially if you're able to adjust to its requirements and the software adjusts (as the maker claims) to your handwriting over time.

It would be a PITA for those who already type faster than they can write to use this approach, especially if one has a physical keyboard available for input. (I can hit the "u" key on my keyboard quicker than I can write "u" on the screen for example.) But if you're not an accomplished touch typist (and don't want to become one) and/or don't want to have to use the on screen keyboard or carry a bluetooth keyboard with you, the WritePad approach may be the best you're going to find.

Good luck. I'm sure others would be interested in your review if you want to risk $10 to give the app a try. (You can always contact Apple for a refund if it doesn't live up to your expectations.)

OP
P

pj2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys.

I guess I will have to go into apple, as see if I can give it a try or something

Most reactions