hands free ipad users

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by lisaalsa, Feb 11, 2011.

1. lisaalsa

lisaalsa iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I want to connect a handsfree mouse, i.e., a head control mouse, specific brands include madentec Tracker Pro, Origin Headmouse Extreme or a Smartnav to an ipad for people with physical disabilities who cannot use their hands. The devices are "plug n play" via USB, i.e. , no software required to run the mouse, but software is required for "mouse clicks", such as dwell click, or for windows versions Magic Cursor, Click n Type, etc.

Is this possible?

what do we need to do this?

2. deckyon

deckyon iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    you would need a different operating system on the iPad. iOS has no pointer. Mice or other pointing devices like mice will not work. It is finger to screen.

"Plug and Play" is Windows/MAC/Linux, originally Windows, though.

3. lisaalsa

lisaalsa iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks, the staff at the sales outlets told us that it would work through a USB bluetooth device but I did not think this was possible for a mouse-type device.

Maybe someday people with physical disabilites will be able to use an ipad...

4. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 1
    The iPad has a few capabilities that can help disabled people - such as text-to-speech and (via third party apps) speech-to-text. Plus, of course, you can change the font size to make the screen more readable. But, as the other respondant remarked, it's fundamentally a touch-screen driven interface. But it's early days yet and, in the same way that some innovative tools and software were developed for the PC, I think no one would be surprised to see the development of similar facilities for the iPad. Maybe your post will prompt a Forum member with the necessary software/hardware skill set to think about this.

Tim
    Scotland