1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

hands free ipad users

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by lisaalsa, Feb 11, 2011.

1. lisaalsa

lisaalsa iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I want to connect a handsfree mouse, i.e., a head control mouse, specific brands include madentec Tracker Pro, Origin Headmouse Extreme or a Smartnav to an ipad for people with physical disabilities who cannot use their hands. The devices are "plug n play" via USB, i.e. , no software required to run the mouse, but software is required for "mouse clicks", such as dwell click, or for windows versions Magic Cursor, Click n Type, etc.

Is this possible?

what do we need to do this?
  2. deckyon

deckyon iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    you would need a different operating system on the iPad. iOS has no pointer. Mice or other pointing devices like mice will not work. It is finger to screen.

"Plug and Play" is Windows/MAC/Linux, originally Windows, though.
  3. lisaalsa

lisaalsa iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks, the staff at the sales outlets told us that it would work through a USB bluetooth device but I did not think this was possible for a mouse-type device.

Maybe someday people with physical disabilites will be able to use an ipad...
  4. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    The iPad has a few capabilities that can help disabled people - such as text-to-speech and (via third party apps) speech-to-text. Plus, of course, you can change the font size to make the screen more readable. But, as the other respondant remarked, it's fundamentally a touch-screen driven interface. But it's early days yet and, in the same way that some innovative tools and software were developed for the PC, I think no one would be surprised to see the development of similar facilities for the iPad. Maybe your post will prompt a Forum member with the necessary software/hardware skill set to think about this.

Tim
    Scotland