What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hand gestures

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Only problem Rich was that my wi-fi went kaput. I had to switch it off and reset it with the password again! Wonder why? Did it do that with you?

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only problem Rich was that my wi-fi went kaput. I had to switch it off and reset it with the password again! Wonder why? Did it do that with you?

My Wi-Fi's been solid. Speedtest app shows normal speeds.

It hasn't happend to me, but I've seen similar reports since way back when. All of my network is "Apple-centric" so I think that helps.

You did exactly the right thing...glad to hear it's working normally again.

Is your Wi-Fi modem/router set to WPA or WPA2 security? The iPad doesn't play well with the old WEP protocol (which isn't at all secure anymore). Just a thought.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh hell, this is where you lose me! I have a BT home hub version 2.0. Does that help? It's always worked well, most of the time, but as for your question, not sure!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The BT Home Hub 2.0 is a wireless router and combined phone. It supports wireless internet access through 802.11b/g or n with the Hub 2.0, with the WPA security protocol.[2] It supports many of BT's services such as BT Fusion, BT Vision and BT Broadband Anywhere. It can also be used as a VOIP phone through BT Broadband Talk.

What is VOIP? We have a phone that is connected to the Internet but I've heard it mentioned on the forum. How does this connect to our devices or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Could my iPhone 4 use VOIP?

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The BT Home Hub 2.0 is a wireless router and combined phone. It supports wireless internet access through 802.11b/g or n with the Hub 2.0, with the WPA security protocol.[2] It supports many of BT's services such as BT Fusion, BT Vision and BT Broadband Anywhere. It can also be used as a VOIP phone through BT Broadband Talk.

What is VOIP? We have a phone that is connected to the Internet but I've heard it mentioned on the forum. How does this connect to our devices or am I barking up the wrong tree?

VOIP = Voice Over Internet Protocol. That's broadband as opposed to copper lines for phone service. Just part of your system. Skype is probably the most widely known VOIP service.

Sounds like it's set to WPA security so that's fine then...no worries. :)

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh! I never knew that! You learn something every day.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hee Hee. Glad I amused you! How is that music app? I managed to reload my album and no problems. I'm seeing if I can avoid my laptop for as long as I can!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hee Hee. Glad I amused you! How is that music app? I managed to reload my album and no problems. I'm seeing if I can avoid my laptop for as long as I can!

I've been putting the Music App throughout its paces for a couple of hours now and it seems to be happy...which makes me happy. :) I still want all of the features the iPod App had and as mentioned, it's not as fast, but so far so good!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had a major upset this morning. iPhone 4 went dead. No spark, nothing. I panicked, tried resetting, syncing to laptop etc... Phoned Tesco mobile, they went through the list - nothing. They said I would have to send it to them etc... iMessaged Gab who then said to hold both buttons for as long as possible and for some weird reason it worked this time. I've resynched to laptop. Thank god. That's all I can say. I love iPad but my phone has music as well which is great. Major panic attack. All better now! Tesco wondered if iOS 5.0.1 via wi-fi involved although the chap had same phone and same update and he had no problems with his! I'll call it a blip for now.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a major upset this morning. iPhone 4 went dead. No spark, nothing. I panicked, tried resetting, syncing to laptop etc... Phoned Tesco mobile, they went through the list - nothing. They said I would have to send it to them etc... iMessaged Gab who then said to hold both buttons for as long as possible and for some weird reason it worked this time. I've resynched to laptop. Thank god. That's all I can say. I love iPad but my phone has music as well which is great. Major panic attack. All better now! Tesco wondered if iOS 5.0.1 via wi-fi involved although the chap had same phone and same update and he had no problems with his! I'll call it a blip for now.

Yikes! Glad it's working again. How long do you think you held the Sleep/wake and Home buttons down before it reset?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well Gab said 20 seconds but it was way more than that

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nope, first thing I checked. It was 91 % as it had been charging all night.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, first thing I checked. It was 91 % as it had been charging all night.

Interesting. Did you have any apps open...were you using a particular app or did you leave one open when you stopped using it? Just trying to narrow down the culprit that caused this...so I can avoid it! :D Oh, and help others if the same thing happens to them. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts