What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hammacher Schlemmer or Blurex Keyboard Cases

MaryS910

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! I've had my iPad since soon after they came out and just cannot go any longer without a keypad case. I've read many threads on the subject but haven't seen mention of The iPad Keyboard Portfolio - Hammacher Schlemmer While I realize they are known for overpriced gadgets, this one appears to have what i need and is priced about where they all are.

I also was looking at the Blurex D-Lux Classic Leather iPad Folio Keypad V2 that someone here posted and like that the keys aren't rubber, among other things.

(since this is my first post, I'm not allowed to include the links to these)

It seems the Zaggmate is popular with many of you but I want to use this on my lap, in bed or on the couch, and the hard metal is unappealing and it looks like the iPad can fall right off the stand.

I would appreciate any feedbad on the Hammacher and/or the Blurex models. Thanks in advance!

iguru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI,

I would definitely go with the Blurex d-lux case.
From what i have read this case is very different than all th eother cases on the market. The D-lux case has real laptop style keys and looks really elegant.
From what I can see the Hammacher Schlemmer also has rubber keys.

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
I swore years ago to avoid Hammacher Schlemmer like the plague. I don't like that what I read in their catalogs seems like misrepresentation to me and they refuse to pay any return shipping costs if [you think] something is wrong. Of course your mileage may vary, but I won't buy from them.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I have a very similar-looking model under the eGear brand imprint. The keys themselves are recessed, so that the top of the keys are level with the rest of the deck and do not get "pressed on":

e65a_ipad_bluetooth_keyboard_case_closeup.jpg

I like the soft-touch silicone keys. The only drawback is that while the keys themselves are actually full-sized like a regular computer keyboard, the spacing between them on the Bluetooth keyboard is a lot more compressed. As comparison, I use a small-form ThinkPad keyboard (i.e. without number pad) which measures 29cm wide. With the same-sized keys and roughly the same layout, the Bluetooth keyboard is 22cm wide, or about 25% less, so I need to readjust my typing position.

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Well, I have a very similar-looking model under the eGear brand imprint. The keys themselves are recessed, so that the top of the keys are level with the rest of the deck and do not get "pressed on":

I like the soft-touch silicone keys. The only drawback is that while the keys themselves are actually full-sized like a regular computer keyboard, the spacing between them on the Bluetooth keyboard is a lot more compressed. As comparison, I use a small-form ThinkPad keyboard (i.e. without number pad) which measures 29cm wide. With the same-sized keys and roughly the same layout, the Bluetooth keyboard is 22cm wide, or about 25% less, so I need to readjust my typing position.
I see the webpage - $119 seems like a lot for this, the Zagg was already a lot I thought, but this is 20% more. What supports the iPad at its back? One thing I don't like about the Zagg is having to set the little plastic support piece every time it is opened or closed (and it doesn't seem to me like it is going to survive a lot of those actuations).

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe the prices on some of these iPad1 folios will come down since they will have to make new ones to fit the iPad2... but probably not.

I just checked on Amazon. The Blurex received almost as many 1 star reviews as 5 star reviews so even at $55, this does not exactly make me want to rush out and order one!

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see the webpage - $119 seems like a lot for this, the Zagg was already a lot I thought, but this is 20% more. What supports the iPad at its back? One thing I don't like about the Zagg is having to set the little plastic support piece every time it is opened or closed (and it doesn't seem to me like it is going to survive a lot of those actuations).

No, sorry, I wasn't advocating getting the eGear at all - it just looked like the eGear, Acase, Thinkgeek and Hammacher products essentially appear to be the same item, so I was sharing from my ownership of the aforementioned.

(The Ban Leong website is the distributor's page, so the SRP will be considerably higher than what they're actually selling it for. Also the price is in Singapore dollars, so it would be closer to USD$90 after conversion, which is still expensive - but again, this is in a different Asian market.)

If I were in the US, I'd go with either the Amazon or Thinkgeek if I was going to buy one, and maybe even wait a bit to see if the price is going to come down even more. Check out the pictures at Thinkgeek - they have some good details. It simply unfolds open, compendium-style, when you need to set it up for typing - no "little pieces" to set (if I understand your question correctly.)

Last edited:

iguru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blurex ipad case

Maybe the prices on some of these iPad1 folios will come down since they will have to make new ones to fit the iPad2... but probably not.

I just checked on Amazon. The Blurex received almost as many 1 star reviews as 5 star reviews so even at $55, this does not exactly make me want to rush out and order one!

I was also skeptical about all the 1 stars before I placed my order for the Blurex case.
Nobody really complained about functionality of the product only about the durability, which scares me more. So I contacted the manufacturer regarding their warranty and return policy.They offered me a 30 day money back and a 1 year warranty. I figured if I did get a dud i"ll know before the years up. They also mentioned a V2 of this case. Supposedly taking care of the connection issue. Will let you know after I receive it.

Most reactions

Latest posts