What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Had it for 4 hours and have to go to Genius already

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought mine froze on the IPAD Tour video. But found out that it just stops for a few minutes while it continues to load, then it resumes. I called the tech support and they showed me what was happening. Looke for a little gray bar behind the ball while it is loading.

Yes, I see that too. The thing is, it works great in WiFi mode, just freezes while it loads in 3G. I was traveling this past weekend, and wanted to watch a movie, and only had 3G available (which is one of the main reasons I got it) and couldn't watch anything. Sure, it is loading, but it doesn't seem to load unless I press play and then I have to keep starting over until it is fully loaded which is annoying at best. Not sure if its MY iPad or the 3G service or what.

Thoughts?

Yes, here are my thoughts, your iPad is probably fine as it sounds as though it works just fine on WiFi but only on 3G has the issues.
My reasoning of saying it seems fine, is that all 3G is not equal in all places. Some 3G areas and times of the day may exhibit slow loading especially of streaming video. A good test would be to go to the same area again, try the 3G streaming on Youtube, if it freezes (pauses while buffering the video, which is normal) then try off 3G go on Edge network (may be harder to do unless you know where Edge and 3G areas are, since iPad doesn't have the ability to turn 3G off like the iPhone) with the same video and then again with same video in a WiFi hotspot.
Testing speeds using the speed test app and recording the results would also help in each situation to get better criteria from each area.
All these simple tests will allow you more information to realize its more a signal strength or Network issue on the 3G or area, or more information to give to the Apple store when taken in for service. These may even be questions they will have for you if you had tried the other networks or speeds while streaming video content.

Good Luck

OP
I

ICONYK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting ICONYK. I just got my iPad 16 gb wifi this past saturday 5/1/10 and mine had froze at least 2-3 times whenever I tried watching a video on the web,YouTube, and from the ABC app too. Since you other members didn't have this problem with ur ipad's, I should go back to apple store and have them switch for a new one?

Yes. By freezing though mine was freezing the whole iPad not just an app or the video itself. I would have to right there do a manual reset to get it back.

If u are having to reset because the whole iPad freezes then take it in for sure.

OP
I

ICONYK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just curious--did you have the problem with it freezing videos in wifi AND 3G? Mine freezes in 3G only--not the whole iPad, just the video.

My specific issue would freeze my entire iPad requiring a manual reset. Video itself freezing usually indicates a buffering delay.

iPVillan12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea mine completely froze and I had to Manually reset it. I took it in 2 days ago and got it switched up for a new one. Watching all types of video now works fine!

Most reactions