What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hacking the camera in the iPad

Jonmedic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not even sure if this is in the right thread or not. I've been inspecting my new toy (16GB WiFi purchased in Sept of 2010) and I can clearly see what appears to be a camera in the bezel at the top of my iPad. Has anybody tried to crack the software to enable this or does anyone know if this is there for future OS versions?? I would like to figure this out. I'm kind of wondering if Steve Jobs is secretly spying on all of us.:)

MarkK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rumor is that Apple planned to put a camera in but the supplier couldn't deliver so they just left the hole, because the casing had already been manufactured.
Maybe we'll have one in the next gen.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought the hole was the light sensor to use with auto brightness.

Yes light sensor just like iPhone.

Yes....and no.

The first purpose was for a camera. If you were to take it apart you can stick in a Macbook camera in and it would fit perfectly. However Apple decided to not go that route for now and just reused it for the light sensor. Apple will reuse the same chassis for the 2nd generation iPad with the camera as intended. According to my source they are planning to use the camera AS the light sensor to cut down on chassis redesign.

Most reactions

Latest posts