What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hacking for reasons of more memory

DCIV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sure this is out there and I have been reading but frankly I'm over reading threads and not exactly getting the info I want.

First, when I bought my ipad I thought I could get the hotspot hard drives and use it as basically a flash drive on a non hacked ipad. Upon reading, just seems like I can pull stuff from that hard drive and not upload to it. Am I wrong with that?

Second, I am not against hacking my ipad but if I don't have to then I would just rather not. But is there a USB drive that is true write to and download from without hacking? Also if I do hack my ipad everything I see says I have to supply the USB with power for it to work, is that true or are some flash drives capable? If the ipad is hacked can I used a hot spotted hard drive the way I first wanted too or still no?

I am hoping someone can answer this clearly with links so I can enjoy my ipad with unlimited space.

Thank you

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am sure this is out there and I have been reading but frankly I'm over reading threads and not exactly getting the info I want.

First, when I bought my ipad I thought I could get the hotspot hard drives and use it as basically a flash drive on a non hacked ipad. Upon reading, just seems like I can pull stuff from that hard drive and not upload to it. Am I wrong with that?

Second, I am not against hacking my ipad but if I don't have to then I would just rather not. But is there a USB drive that is true write to and download from without hacking? Also if I do hack my ipad everything I see says I have to supply the USB with power for it to work, is that true or are some flash drives capable? If the ipad is hacked can I used a hot spotted hard drive the way I first wanted too or still no?

I am hoping someone can answer this clearly with links so I can enjoy my ipad with unlimited space.

Thank you

Have you checked out the threads in the forum on WiFi connected hard drives? One of the many threads may have the solution you need. http://www.ipadforums.net/portable-wifi-drives/

Last edited:
OP
D

DCIV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you checked out the threads in the forum on WiFi connected hard drives? One of the many threads may have the solution you need. Portable WIFI Drives

All those seems like you can stream or download but not upload. I looked at a couple threads and maybe I'm wrong but I would really like it to operate like a flash drive on a pc. Wireless hard drive is fine if I can truly upload and download.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All those seems like you can stream or download but not upload. I looked at a couple threads and maybe I'm wrong but I would really like it to operate like a flash drive on a pc. Wireless hard drive is fine if I can truly upload and download.

If you can upload and download to/from the iPad from a drive then the iPad is no longer a secure device, I will guess that no, unless you Jailbreak, you won't be able to read and write to an external drive. On that note remember - I truly don't know, only assuming based on the control Apple is normally willing to give up.

OP
D

DCIV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sure someone has the answer on how I can achieve a simple function such as a quick and easy flash drive that's more than 8 gigs for 100 bucks.

OP
D

DCIV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay. Maybe I made this too complicated. I just need to give and take moves from my ipad at will without a computer or outlet. If that means hacking then fine. If one of those hotspot hard drive works great. Just say get this. Do this. And you can transfer stuff easily.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you looked at/considered the Air Stash or the Seagate Wireless Plus streaming products? The Air Stash creates a WiFi service to stream from an SD card while the Seagate is more of a hard drive (with its own storage) that broadcasts to your iPad.

Maybe one of those is worth looking at?

Marilyn

OP
D

DCIV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have looked into those. Can I upload to those from my ipad? Hacked? If so using what program? That seems like the best cost as well I just don't want to buy it bad be upset when I can't get it to upload from my ipad and download from it. Make sense?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From want I understand about these two products (note that I don't own them), these allow for both upload and download of files. They are wireless flash drives. According to AirStash web site:

AirStash uses the WebDAV industry standard to enable apps to write and delete files wirelessly. AirStash contains a WebDAV server, so many software apps with a WebDAV client such as Apple’s iWork apps: Pages, Keynote, Numbers, and other apps such as iFiles, WebDAV Navigator, GoodReader, and Cyberduck can read and write to AirStash over WiFi. There are an increasing number of third party apps that work with AirStash using the WebDAV industry standard.

As for Seagate Wireless, the same applies:

The Seagate Media app [free] also enables you to upload photos, videos and other files from your mobile device to your Seagate Wireless or Seagate Central drive in full resolution and quality.

So, you can upload, download or stream from either of these devices.

Oh, and you don't need to be jail broken to use these devices. You just need the [free] app from the AppStore. And the physical device, of course... :)

Marilyn

Last edited:

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you looked at/considered the Air Stash or the Seagate Wireless Plus streaming products? The Air Stash creates a WiFi service to stream from an SD card while the Seagate is more of a hard drive (with its own storage) that broadcasts to your iPad.

Maybe one of those is worth looking at?

Marilyn

I was going to mention AirStash. Solves all such problems with ease.

OP
D

DCIV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ordered it today. It has the added benefit of working with my new gopro. While I have your help is there a program that will play back the gopro in true slow motion aka taking advantage of all the frames per sec? Lots of apps for slow motion but I want one that will actually show each frame the gopro took.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hold in mind the upload download to these products are 'mostly' limited to their companion apps. You won't be able to upload/download to/from every app. Some won't recognize it at all, other's like Photos will only have limited access.

Since the companion apps will typically play/view most file types, it's not to much of a limitation.

And no, I don't have one. I just remember the limitations from when I was doing a bit of my own research. Though that was more than a year ago.

OP
D

DCIV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok airstash does what I want. I am curious if I got a camera kit if transfers would be faster and if I wouldn't even need to connect to the wifi? Or it doesn't work that way?

Most reactions