Hacked

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by SPROINGY, May 14, 2020.

1. SPROINGY

SPROINGY
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, twerppoet!
    My tech knowledge is out of date. I must catch up. And I will! As you said, and I agree, I was hacked.

My priority now is to see that it doesn’t happen again!

Homework time...

Stay Safe!

2. SPROINGY

SPROINGY
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    scifan57, it’s like the hacker is *inside* my iPad, e.g., I changed the passwords etc. for a financial institution, two hours later I tried to login to said institution and found myself locked out, the hacker had gone through 3 layers of security and changed them all. How can this be?
    So much for changing passwords, it seems?

#12 SPROINGY, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Try erasing your iPad and set it up as a new iPad. If there’s any hidden programs on your iPad that are causing your problems, Erase All Content and Settings will get rid of it.

#13 scifan57, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Change your challenge questions and answers as well. Best if the answers are faked, or even nonsense (record answers if you do this). That way they can’t guess them based on your info.

Make sure you’ve enabled 2 factor authentication, where they send a code to your phone each time you log in. Pretty much all financial sites do this now. If yours does not, you should ask why.

Contact your bank/financial institutions and let them know what’s going on. They can prevent any changes too your account without a more rigorous procedure (like a physical visit). Or they should be able to.

Make sure your wi-fi is secure. Your manufacturer of internet provider should be able to help with this.

5. SPROINGY

SPROINGY
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hi twerppoet!

About changing challenge questions and answers, I recall being prompted for those in the past, while setting up my iPad. But the last two times (recently) that I did an iPad restore (one from a backup, one manually), there was no prompt for those. Can I still set them up? *If* you know the path to these Q’s & A’s, I’d love to set them up!

Agreed! 2FA should be, these days, enabled wherever possible!

Making sure my WiFi is secure. Well, it’s really my landlord’s ‘Net provider, so I don’t know about help with that.

But, my VPN company offers a ‘Dedicated IP Address,’ supposedly for my own exclusive use. Do you know if that would help, or maybe something else?

twerppoet, thank you for taking time and replying and being patient with me!

Much Appreciated!

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    The challenge questions are something that your sites request and use. I generally enter the answers in the notes field of my password app. There are no questions for the iPad itself.

If you always use the VPN, then the wi-fi is not a major concern. That assumes you’ve got a reliable, safe VPN. I haven't heard of fake/unsafe VPNs being a thing, so I wouldn’t worry to much about that either. The dedicated IP address is most likely for those who want to host their own sites and services. It is unlikely you need one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. SPROINGY

SPROINGY
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ahhh, twerppoet, now I get your meaning.

Too bad for me that the dedicated IP address won’t likely help with the hacker.

I’m thinking I should find out how to get rid of the hacker and get back to enjoying the ‘Net instead of chasing down solutions to his/her latest messing with my settings!

8. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Has anybody had possession of your iPad while you weren’t there? I’m asking because that hacker would need to have your iPad in his hands to cause the problems you’re experiencing.

9. SPROINGY

SPROINGY
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately, I must answer ‘yes’ to your question. Naive of me! It’ll never happen again!

I have to go back to the computer shop again today, the 4th day in a row.

My focus now is finding out how to get rid of this so-and-so and his nonsense. I just want to get back to enjoying the ‘Net without hassle!

Now, I don’t even know what Step 1 is regarding losing a hacker. But I *absolutely will not stop until I do. Every day I feel stronger about this.

Thank You for your reply, scifan57! :)

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You’re welcome.
    A sure way of getting rid of that hacker is to erase your iPad and set it up as a new device with all new passwords.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List