H E L P !! Lost note :-(

Discussion in 'iPad 4 Forum' started by JayBee99, Dec 16, 2015.

1. JayBee99

JayBee99
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have an Apple iPad 4 where an important note "disappeared". Two Chinese software packages (Dr. Fone Wondershare and iOS data-recovery.exe of Apowersoft) supposedly can restore it. Does anyone know the software? Does anyone have experience with it? Do I invite the plague into my house (killted iPad, data theft or so) when I use them? Which is the better?

Many thanks in advance for any useful hint!

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi JayBee.. - welcome to the forum! :) First, please tell us which iOS is installed on your iPad 4; and second, where was the 'note' (e.g. in Notes or another app) and how did it disappear (i.e. did you delete it)? Also, tell us how you are using online services like iCloud, Dropbox, etc. - the note may still exist there.

As to downloading (and likely paying for the presumed better apps - debatable!) 'data recovery software' is usually a 'crap shoot' - but respond to the other questions above and more specific advice can be offered. Dave

3. JayBee99

JayBee99
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi Dave, thanks for the quick reaction. Unfortunately I must confess that I'm a complete Apple-novice. I own the iPad for some 1 1/2 years and presume to have the latest iOS (since I clicked "yes" to the frequent updates). Also I must confess that I did NOT use any backups (like iCloud, Dropbox, etc.). The note, indeed, was in "Notes" and possibly I hit the trash can and subsequently the confirming msg without noticing it. It happened so fast :-( Suddenly it was gone. How stupid not to backup regularily (it's so easy, just send it by mail to my PC). BTW, the 'data recovery software' offers some trial versions for free (e.g. to recover just ONE item --- and that's just what I need).
    Now you have all the info I can give, and I hope you are the wizard to help me! Regards Jay

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Jay - as to your iOS, simply enter Settings -> About, then look half way down the right-side column for your iOS version - current one is 9.2. If you have no backups (whether in iTunes on a computer and/or in the cloud - I do both) and deleted a note on the device in Notes, the item is likely gone, sorry. As mentioned before, you can google iPad data recovery software and get plenty of hits but most will eventually cost and some are quite expensive - of course, there are data recovery services often at exorbitant prices.

For myself, I have no experience in helping others recover data (nor have had a need myself), so hopefully others may 'chime in' w/ suggestions - this is an oft asked question here, so a search might bring up some more ideas; but, I'm afraid the note is gone - iCloud backups are done automatically if setup properly and using Apple's cloud services to synchronize your important data is also easily done - maybe next time? Good luck - Dave :)

5. JayBee99

JayBee99
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks anyway, Dave --- and now PLEASE the other experts show up!!!

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    If you are running iOS 9.x then the Notes app should have a Recently Deleted folder. Tap the back arrow at the top left of the notes colum until you see the Folders list. This should exist so long as you've manually delete one or more notes. If you didn't delete the note, then it's probalby not there.

If mememory serves, the Recently Deleted folder keeps notes for 30 days before auto-deleting them.

Good luck.

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. JayBee99

JayBee99
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the news, but ... looks like I'm running an old iOS: The Item "Version" (the language on the iPad is german) it says: 8.1 (12B410) and the pad waits to be updated to 9.2. If I click the app "notes", I see the names of all notes (but no such thing as "recently deleted"). Now what? :-(

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi again JayBee.. - if TP's suggestion does not help, and as I've implied several times, you note has likely gone to 'cyber-heaven' - your only option is to try data recovery software or a service, as discussed previously - this probably will be costly w/ no guarantees.

Not too long ago, I started a thread HERE in the Mac Forums (I'm RadDave there) concerning data recovery on flash storage - take a look, especially at post #14 from a tech at Prosoft Data Rescue - if Apple uses the discussed TRIM feature on its iDevice flash storage, the data cannot be recovered according to his opinion. Dave :)

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    With no backups, then the chances of you recovering the note is near zero. I have no experience with the flash recover tools you've mentioned, but the nature of such tools means that the longer you wait the less likely you are to get the note back. And it wasn't a good chance to begin with.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. JayBee99

JayBee99
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thank you both for your serious efforts to help, but „important note, RIP!“ :mad:

btw: Something like RadDave’s #10 happened to me when calling a professional data recovery service. That strengthens my belief that all (ALL!) sw developing companies lack a US department (User Stupidity).

Best regards, Jay

(later) However, if all the bad news are right --- how can all the data rescue services make money (and apparently a lot of)??

#10 JayBee99, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015