What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guided access - lost code

thirdsun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember when guided access was originally introduced. It allowed you to turn the ipad off twice and when it re-loaded on the 2nd time it would remove the guided access. I noticed now that it does not do that. Is the only way out of guided access to reset the whole device is lost mode? And what do you do if you lost your iCloud?

My brother (bad with tech), has turned guided access and the kids have set the pin code which they don't rember. The iCloud was made in jest, they dont use email (i know, iknow), they create email when they have to, forget the logins, and just create a new email. With Apple ID, there's only so many ways you can recover your icloud without your email. Unfortunately no option is available (no backup email).

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm assuming your brother does not remember his Apple ID password? If he can't remember his password he can't erase the iPad to get rid of the forgotten guided access password. Does he have any receipts of other paperwork to prove his ownership of the iPad? If so, Apple may help him recover the Apple ID password. If not he unfortunately won't be able to turn off guided access.

Does he have Touch ID enabled on the iPad? and if he does, did he allow the use of Touch ID to turn off guided access?
Here's the Apple instructions on how to use guided access. Use Guided Access with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your device has a passcode to unlock the screen, force start your iPad: press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo (if it’s a newer model, press and release the Volume up button, then do the same with the Volume down button, then press and hold the Power button until the Apple logo appears. As soon as you see it, let go of the button(s) and let the device power up on it’s own.

You’ll be able to enter the passcode or use Touch ID to access the Home screen. That done, go to Settings - General - Accessibility - Guided Access - Passcode Settings. It should be possible to set up a new passcode there. Make sure to remember it - write it down somewhere, save it somewhere.

Most reactions

Latest posts