What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guide: Creating Safari Bookmarklets

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just discovered the "Page Zipper" bookmarklet (they were talking about it over in the Tips and Tricks thread). What this bookmarklet does is [once activated] make the Safari browser browser automatically activate the "Next Page" button. So, instead of constantly hitting a button to advance the page, you activate this script and the browser/script does it for you. How convenient is that? :)

Of course, you have to rerun the script/bookmarklet every time you open a new web page, but still. It even works on Chrome and Firefox (so you can betcha I'm going to load it on my Firefox-running desktop!). :)

Anyway. I've added this bookmarklet to the list in the first post of this thread. I don't know who brought it up first (have you SEEN the size of that Tips Thread?!) , but my thanks to all who've mentioned it.

Marilyn

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to fix print app, but it wouldnt work ;(

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Amazing thread :)
Really very, very helpful. :) Thank you for putting it together Marilyn.

One - hopefully helpful - observation. Is it just me, or are the three illustrative screen shots in reverse order for everyone? I have them running 3then 2 then 1 from the top of the post...

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ooops! I never noticed that! :D

And no, it wasn't you - they were out of order. Fixed now.

I appreciate you pointing it out. Thanks.

Marilyn

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ooops! I never noticed that! :D

And no, it wasn't you - they were out of order. Fixed now.

I appreciate you pointing it out. Thanks.

Marilyn

Glad to have helped :) And I got my first IPF "like", too. Yay for me...:D:thumbs:

Last edited:
OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The bookmark of pdf.

I don't know what could be wrong - I've just used the bookmarklet to create a PDF.

All I can suggest is that you try again, following the steps in the first post (complete with in-order pictures :). As you got a 404 error, make sure there is nothing in the URL block before you past in the JavaScript code. A stray character will definitely mess it up...

Sorry, but that's all I can recommend as I can't duplicate the problem.

Marilyn

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess its only me ;((

This javascript, of which I dont understand a bit of, I cannot get this copy n pasted into the bookmark edit window...

It seems I will have to do this in an old fashion way, find me a Desktop mac, use a mous, or worst case, use my feather pen, write the code on a scroll, then type it in, letter by letter into edit window.

No offense folks, oldies like me, still regards any computer/ net thinge as something way into future, but we have been using rollerball pens awhile, instead of them in goose feathers....

The real problem will be, how do I get this my desktop mac into my Ipad? You cant send them mail can you?

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I posted the links, I put them into quote boxes so they'd stand out. So, you might be grabbing part of that coding instead of just the JavaScript. So, here's the script all by itself:

javascript:pdf_url=location.href;location.href='http://pdfmyurl.com?url='+escape(pdf_url)

Now, it should be more easily "grab able" with the iPad's copy tool. So, try again with this?

Marilyn

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah. Now I see.

There is a smiley inside the code. What shoud it be in plain text?

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah. Now I see.

There is a smiley inside the code. What shoud it be in plain text?

If you are talking about in the front, right after the word "javascript" - then the characters are a semi-colon ( : ) and then a smallcase "p."

And yes, software makes that arrangement into a smiley face. Which is kind of annoying, especially when I specifically make the post not have smileys for that very reason. Are you seeing smileys in the post above?

Regardless, hope this helps.

Marilyn

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are talking about in the front, right after the word "javascript" - then the characters are a semi-colon ( : ) and then a smallcase "p."

And yes, software makes that arrangement into a smiley face. Which is kind of annoying, especially when I specifically make the post not have smileys for that very reason. Are you seeing smileys in the post above?

Regardless, hope this helps.

Marilyn

javascript:pdf_url=location.href;location.href='ht tp://pdfmyurl.com?url='+escape(pdf_url)

Hmm, not working in Safari on a macbook pro.

Shold there reallly be a space between the two "ht tp" in the code??

Most reactions

Latest posts