What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grrrrrrrrr!

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No1, if I keep a key pressed it won't type the letter continuously like every other keyboard does! ***?
No 2, I thought I'd Ben smart in figuring out how to set up a shortcut to type my email addy ( z&m) this brings up the email addy fine, but IF I enter it into the box, the whole page then resets! This ipad experience is surely a nightmare? Give me PC anyway! LOGIC!

Warning number 2 about bad language

Last edited by a moderator:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you want and expect a PC, you should get a PC. Microsoft makes them in tablet form now.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, you're right about the keyboard not repeating keys. Given the lack of mechanical feedback, I'm not sure that's a bad thing. And while you may be used to it, I don't' think either either method is more logical than the other. The first time I encountered the repeat (a long time ago, I admit) it was quite startling. I'd paused (distracted) with my finger down, and filled a couple lines before I realized what was happening.

For the shortcut experience, I'd need more details on what exactly you did in what app before I could guess why it behaved that way, mostly so I could try duplicating it. It not typical in my experience.

All new things require a period of learning. Most people who consider Windows easy, or logical, simply don't remember that initial period very well (I suspect). And of course, when we (by which I mean I) were younger, it was the challenge of just doing it, not the need to get something accomplished, that drove us. That makes a world of difference in perceived difficulty. At least it does for me.

That means the best, least frustrating, way to learn a new device is to play with it, initially, with no particular objective past figuring out what you can and can't do. Not always practical, I suppose.

OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well yes I can see where you are coming from! I am playing with it & this & other forums area great help but it remains highly frustration when minor things that you take for granted on a PC simply don't work!
You are quite right tho & I will keep trying!
on the shortcut issue, Imaaged to set up the shortcut I the settings function. I setit sothatwhenI type z m , the screen shows my email address- quite smart of me so I thought! Unfortunately when I do this when filling in a web form, the email address is inserted but when I then go to the next item - say for instance a password, the form then resets!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
on the shortcut issue, Imaaged to set up the shortcut I the settings function. I setit sothatwhenI type z m , the screen shows my email address- quite smart of me so I thought! Unfortunately when I do this when filling in a web form, the email address is inserted but when I then go to the next item - say for instance a password, the form then resets!

I use shortcuts for my email addresses (and a lot of other stuff) and they work on forms about 90% of the time for me. When they fail, it's a limitation of the website, not the shortcuts themselves.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well yes I can see where you are coming from! I am playing with it & this & other forums area great help but it remains highly frustration when minor things that you take for granted on a PC simply don't work!
You are quite right tho & I will keep trying!

Thats all any of us can do, and most of the time it's worth doing. :)

As KayKayKay says, web forms are somewhat unpredictable. The can be implemented in many ways, and even on a computer they don't always work as expected; though I grant they do work more often. Mostly, I suspect, due to the fact that web developers have been dealing with and eliminating problems with the desktop browsers for much longer than they have for the more limited mobile versions.

Safari has an auto-fill option. I'm not saying it will work better, but it might be worth giving it a try, depending on the sites you'll most often need it on. My recommendation is to create an entry in the Contacts app specifically tailored to your auto-fill needs, and use that. This prevents any extra information you might normally have in your own contact entry from leaking or interfering. You'll find the settings under Settings > Safari > AutoFill.

Most reactions