What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grouping apps into folders problem

Todd74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I am trying to tidy up my home screen on my iPad by grouping the apps into folders. Now on my iPhone those is easy but when I make the apps wobble and try to put one on top of the other the other one just moves out of the way.
What am I doing wrong please?

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you approach the target slow down your finger and very gently move it on top of the other app, then release. It can be tricky at times. TIP, to move from page to page, drag app to the task bar, then page to the target page and drag the app out of the task bar to where you want it to go. Much easier that way.

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to make sure you drop it squarely on top. In other words, better aim. :) I am not tweaking you, I have had the same thing happen.

You know that you can also do this after syncing, in the Apps tab on the iPad in iTunes? You then click 'apply' to re-sync the changes. I find it easier to do on the computer than on the iPad but YMMV.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is it an iPad1? Then what iOS version is your iPad running? It has to be at least 4.2.x to create folders. Go into Settings >> General >> About and check your version number to be sure.

OP
T

Todd74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twerpoet yes it is an iPad 1! I was reading through the forum and found out that because I bought my iPad in september 2010 I only have the old ios version as the new one came out in November.
I have read a bit about Jailbreak but is there any other way to get the 4.2 as I am not very good at the technical stuff and would worry I'll lose everything on my iPad?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twerpoet yes it is an iPad 1! I was reading through the forum and found out that because I bought my iPad in september 2010 I only have the old ios version as the new one came out in November.
I have read a bit about Jailbreak but is there any other way to get the 4.2 as I am not very good at the technical stuff and would worry I'll lose everything on my iPad?

The current version of iOS is 4.3.3 but it's expected that iOS 5 will be released on this coming Monday. There's absolutely no need to jail break, so can simply move up to 4.3.3 today or 5 on Monday using iTunes..

Tim

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Todd74 said:

You don't need to Jailbreak to get the latest os, just plug your iPad into your PC and when prompted, download and install the new update ( latest version is 4.3.3) the whole process takes about 15 minutes, and you won't lose data, as iTunes will back up your stuff prior to updating.

You will probably find that a lot of you apps need updating too, this can be done too, but I suggest you untick the " sync automatically " box, and manually select what you want to sync by ticking the relevant boxes in each section. Apps, Music, photos etc.

Once you've done this, you will be able to create folders on your home-screen, just drag one app onto another, and off you go! Best to give it some thought as to what goes where though! I let a friend play with mine, and she put all sorts of things in the wrong place....had to do it all again myself!:)

Post back and let us know how you get on!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
T

Todd74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all your help.
I will wait until Monday and then attempt to upgrade to the 5 and will let you know how I get on.
Thank you once again :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Todd74 said:
I will wait until Monday and then attempt to upgrade to the 5 and will let you know how I get on.

While iOS 5 will be announced Monday it is unlikely that it will be released immediately. Still, if you are in no hurry I suppose it won't hurt to wait, just in case.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But It Works With 4.3.3

Todd74 said:

While iOS 5 will be announced Monday it is unlikely that it will be released immediately. Still, if you are in no hurry I suppose it won't hurt to wait, just in case.

Unless I have an update no one else does. also works in Pages now REALLY useful Now where is that young singer who thought putting ALL my apps in one folder was a good idea? I know, I shall be seeing her tommorow :)

"But it looks tidy that way"

Yeah, Right!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unless I have an update no one else does. also works in Pages now REALLY useful Now where is that young singer who thought putting ALL my apps in one folder was a good idea? I know, I shall be seeing her tommorow :)

"But it looks tidy that way"

Yeah, Right!

All three of the iWorks apps were updated earlier this week. Besides upgrading how documents are organized they also made the apps universal. If you have an iPhone you can download and run them on it, at no extra charge.

iMovies and GarageBand also received updates a day or two ago. Apple is on an update roll. Let's hope it continues. :D

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
All three of the iWorks apps were updated earlier this week. Besides upgrading how documents are organized they also made the apps universal. If you have an iPhone you can download and run them on it, at no extra charge.

iMovies and GarageBand also received updates a day or two ago. Apple is on an update roll. Let's hope it continues. :D

Don't forget Amplitube. The proper musicians app:)

Incoming!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

This is why you are my favourite! I didn't know I could put my iworks onto my iPhone for free!. Here's a kiss from me to you! I saw a £5.99 and thought I would have to pay again. Thanks for that and the folders have made them even better. You are a star

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay, question? I've downloaded iworks onto iPhone, can I synch my docs from my iPad or is this a step to far as in emailing docs to iPhone? Help, please

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Okay, question? I've downloaded iworks onto iPhone, can I synch my docs from my iPad or is this a step to far as in emailing docs to iPhone? Help, please

Can't do iPhone stuff yet mine won't be here for another week. Plenty of people here can though......where is that poet? :)

Most reactions

Latest posts