What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings

scubalol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all my name is Laurence and have just bought an iPad 1. I jailbroke it a few months back and love the new functions and themes.

I have just done my iphone4 using jailbreak me, but did my iPad using greenp0ison, I must admit jailbreakme was very easy, I am running 4.3.3 on my iPhone but only 4.2.1 on my iPad. I have spent several hours trolling through the various threads on google about how to update the pad to 4.3.3.

So my question is how do I update my iPad to 4.3.3, iTunes want to update to 4.3.4 which I understand will block the jailbreak.

Any help will be much appreciated, thank you

Laurence

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
S

scubalol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome and for the information, I'm really looking forward to learning the tricks of the iPad.

I only had my iPhone last September, my very first Apple product, still can't get used to iTunes though, I'm sure you need a degree in advanced maths to use that!

Anyway thanks again and look i forward to making some new friends on here.

Laurence

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm moving this to the Hacking section, too, where I think it will receive better attention.

Tim

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
Before you do anything you need to have saved your blobs and within the list must be a file 4.3.3 otherwise it means iTunes has stopped signing, in which case I think it's too late, check out this thread.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/39312-4-3-4-rollback-4-3-3-a.html

You will need to download Your apple IOS firmware from here

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

Hope this helps, but you will need to be quick as rumour has it that the dor is being closed!!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iOS 4.3.3 door IS closed. So, unless you've already got your SHSH blobs for that firmware, scubalol, you can't use JailbreakMe 3.0 to upgrade and then jailbreak.

In fact, unless you've saved those blobs, in order to keep your jail break, you can't upgrade from 4.2.1. I'd suggest running Tiny Umbrella - if you're lucky, Cydia (and saurik) has been saving them for you automatically.

Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
S

scubalol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I downloaded tiny umbrella and tried to find the 4.3.3 file, but its not there sadly. So looks like I am too late, so what can I do now, bearing in mind I don't mind starting from scratch.

Laurence

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What SHSH blobs do you have saved? What does the tiny print read at the top of the main Cydia screen? Or, what blobs does Tiny Umbrella say you have?

Marilyn

OP
S

scubalol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

Ok the information on Cydia says SHSH: IOS 4.3, 4.3.3

Now using Tiny, i ticked the box that says request SHSH from Cydia and it downloaded what apears to be 4.3.3, I then booted my device into DFU mode and then went onto itunes to carry out the restore, as the instructions say, I pressed the Shift key whilst clicking restore and another box opened where i was able to find the SHSH i had downloaded.

However, although I can see the file when looking for it normally, the files dont show up whilst trying to carry out the restore, and pressing Shift.

These are what the files look like on my PC

2941264407885-ipad1,1-4.3.3.shsh

these are the files that Tiny say I have downloaded

ipad 4.3.3 (8J3)

I guess I dont have a programme which recognises the SHSH files, and maybe that is why they do not show up.

Larence

OP
S

scubalol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, ok i understand and have followed the giude. This is the problem I am now having.

I download this file

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...20110503.ScEp3/iPad1,1_4.3.3_8J3_Restore.ipsw

It comes down as a WinRar file, itunes is asking me to restore, I click shift and restore and it opens a dialogue box where the rar file has been downloaded to, except no file is showing up. Even if i extract all the rar files, it still wont show them when i ask itunes ot find the firmware.

What am i doing wrong?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't have a problem - just a Windows quirk.

All you have to do is change the file extension on the RAR file to .ipsw. Then, it should work correctly.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can also try using a browser other than IE. :) Chrome or FF don't do this AFAIK.

OP
S

scubalol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn, so do I need to extract the Rar file or will it run as is?

Most reactions

Latest posts