1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Greetings

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by scubalol, Jul 18, 2011.

1. scubalol

scubalol iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all my name is Laurence and have just bought an iPad 1. I jailbroke it a few months back and love the new functions and themes.

I have just done my iphone4 using jailbreak me, but did my iPad using greenp0ison, I must admit jailbreakme was very easy, I am running 4.3.3 on my iPhone but only 4.2.1 on my iPad. I have spent several hours trolling through the various threads on google about how to update the pad to 4.3.3.

So my question is how do I update my iPad to 4.3.3, iTunes want to update to 4.3.4 which I understand will block the jailbreak.

Any help will be much appreciated, thank you

Laurence
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
    Scotland
  3. scubalol

scubalol iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for the warm welcome and for the information, I'm really looking forward to learning the tricks of the iPad.

I only had my iPhone last September, my very first Apple product, still can't get used to iTunes though, I'm sure you need a degree in advanced maths to use that!

Anyway thanks again and look i forward to making some new friends on here.

Laurence
  4. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    I'm moving this to the Hacking section, too, where I think it will receive better attention.

Tim
  5. TheRambler

TheRambler Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0
    Before you do anything you need to have saved your blobs and within the list must be a file 4.3.3 otherwise it means iTunes has stopped signing, in which case I think it's too late, check out this thread.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/39312-4-3-4-rollback-4-3-3-a.html

You will need to download Your apple IOS firmware from here

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

Hope this helps, but you will need to be quick as rumour has it that the dor is being closed!!
  6. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 0
    The iOS 4.3.3 door IS closed. So, unless you've already got your SHSH blobs for that firmware, scubalol, you can't use JailbreakMe 3.0 to upgrade and then jailbreak.

In fact, unless you've saved those blobs, in order to keep your jail break, you can't upgrade from 4.2.1. I'd suggest running Tiny Umbrella - if you're lucky, Cydia (and saurik) has been saving them for you automatically.

Good luck.

Marilyn
  7. TheRambler

TheRambler Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0
    Buggers, they've finally closed the door.....I wonder how the next jailbreak will work, from what I have read it's very much a different kettle of fish!!
  8. scubalol

scubalol iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok I downloaded tiny umbrella and tried to find the 4.3.3 file, but its not there sadly. So looks like I am too late, so what can I do now, bearing in mind I don't mind starting from scratch.

Laurence
  9. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 0
    What SHSH blobs do you have saved? What does the tiny print read at the top of the main Cydia screen? Or, what blobs does Tiny Umbrella say you have?

Marilyn
  10. scubalol

scubalol iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi there,

Ok the information on Cydia says SHSH: IOS 4.3, 4.3.3

Now using Tiny, i ticked the box that says request SHSH from Cydia and it downloaded what apears to be 4.3.3, I then booted my device into DFU mode and then went onto itunes to carry out the restore, as the instructions say, I pressed the Shift key whilst clicking restore and another box opened where i was able to find the SHSH i had downloaded.

However, although I can see the file when looking for it normally, the files dont show up whilst trying to carry out the restore, and pressing Shift.

These are what the files look like on my PC

2941264407885-ipad1,1-4.3.3.shsh

these are the files that Tiny say I have downloaded

ipad 4.3.3 (8J3)

I guess I dont have a programme which recognises the SHSH files, and maybe that is why they do not show up.

Larence
  11. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
  12. scubalol

scubalol iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, ok i understand and have followed the giude. This is the problem I am now having.

I download this file

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...20110503.ScEp3/iPad1,1_4.3.3_8J3_Restore.ipsw

It comes down as a WinRar file, itunes is asking me to restore, I click shift and restore and it opens a dialogue box where the rar file has been downloaded to, except no file is showing up. Even if i extract all the rar files, it still wont show them when i ask itunes ot find the firmware.

What am i doing wrong?
  13. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 0
    You don't have a problem - just a Windows quirk.

All you have to do is change the file extension on the RAR file to .ipsw. Then, it should work correctly.

Marilyn
  14. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    You can also try using a browser other than IE. :) Chrome or FF don't do this AFAIK.
  15. scubalol

scubalol iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Marilyn, so do I need to extract the Rar file or will it run as is?
  16. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 0
    Nope, don't extract it. Just take the downloaded file - which should be named exactly the same, except it'll have an ending of .zip - and instead of .zip, just make it .ipsw. It's the same file, just IE mucking with it...

As f4780y pointed out, it's an IE thing to change it when it downloads. Stooooopid IE! :) [Go, Firefox! :D]

Marilyn
  17. scubalol

scubalol iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok peeps, it has worked. My iPad is now running 4.3.3. however, it is no longer jailbroken and all of the apps I had have gone.

However, I did make a backup of the iPad before i started this, and itunes is asking me if i want to set it up as a new ipad or from my backup. Can I assume I can now load my backup onto the ipad and if so should I jailbreak it first, or after the update.

Thanks for all your wonderful help.

Laurence
  18. Mickey330

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 0
    I have always just put the backup onto the iPad, then do the jailbreak. Because it's such a simple jailbreak [using JailbreakMe.com], it shouldn't make any effect, really.

To jailbreak it, it's just a simple press of two buttons at that Safari web site. Then, you watch the Cydia icon load onto your home screen. Done!

From there, the world's your oyster!

Good luck!

Marilyn