Greensboro & Guilford Courthouse Battlefield

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Jul 13, 2014.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Greensboro Historical Museum & Blandwood Mansion

Greensboro has a number of excellent museums and historical sites - the Greensboro Historical Museum is located in several historic buildings as described in the first quote below - inside are permanent and rotating exhibits - a walking exhibit of various types of walk-in stores, school room, and past events is excellent; there are also dedications to two natives of the town/area, i.e. Dolley Madison & O.Henry (her portrait & his outside statue shown below; the other pics illustrate many of the inside exhibits).

John Motley Morehead is buried in the First Presbyterian Church cemetery (grave shown below) - he is arguably one of the most influential of North Carolina governors - his bust is in the Old State Capitol Building (see my Raleigh travelogue, if interested) - quoted below a brief summary of his life; he lived at the Blandwood Mansion (see third quote and last pic) which is now in downtown Greensboro and was saved from destruction in the early 1960s - we did a tour last year which was well done w/ an excellent young guide - Morehead's office is off to the side of the main building, and I was amazed at how many state & railroad business issues and decisions occurred there in the pre-Civil War period. Dave :)

P.S. the Morehead Planetarium in Chapel Hill (discussed in my Raleigh travelogue) is named after him.

GSO1a_HMuseum.png GSO1b_HMuseumEntrance.png GSO1c_DMadison.png GSO1d_OHenry.png GSO2a_Inside.png GSO2b_Inside.png GSO2c_Inside.png GSO2d_Inside.png GSO2e_Inside.png GSO3_MoreheadGrave.png GSO4_MooreheadBust.png GSO6_Blandwood.png

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Another excellent travel story. I'm glad they were able to save the Blandwood Mansion. Too many fine old buildings are destroyed for no good purpose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Scifan.. - the Blandwood Mansion is special and the original building was constructed in 1795 before Greensboro existed so the city's downtown was erected around this property which could have easily become a parking lot/deck? Some more information quoted below (from the same Wiki source in my previous post).

The tour includes both the older portion of the house and the several additions. Pics added below from an excellent blog by a visitor to the mansion (Source). The woodwork is mainly 'faux painting' on pine to simulate mahogany and other materials. The artifacts are period pieces - I cannot remember the percentage that might have been original to the structure (guess I'll need to go back again!) - the kitchen is in an out-building (of course, common back then to prevent your house from burning down) which now serves in part as a small gift shop. The portion of the tour in the law office was enlightening, especially regarding Morehead's role in expanding the railroad system in North Carolina - the expansion to the coast terminated at Morehead City (named for him) near Beaufort and Atlantic Beach (another great place to visit). Dave :)

Blandwood_Foyer.png Blandwood_BayWindow.png Blandwood_DiningRm.png Blandwood_MusicRm.png Blandwood_LadiesDen.png Blandwood_BoysBRm.png Blandwood_Kitchen.png Blandwood_LawOffice.png

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Greensboro Four & Civil Rights Sit-Ins

"
    On Feb. 1, 1960 four black freshmen at North Carolina A&T State University, Franklin McCain, Joseph McNeil, Ezell Blair, Jr., and David Richmond, took seats at the segregated lunch counter of F. W. Woolworth's in Greensboro, N.C. They were refused service and sat peacefully until the store closed."

The opening statement above describes an event in early 1960 that had an important impact on the Civil Rights movement at that time - quoted below, further discussion of the sit-in which occurred in downtown Greensboro at the lunch counter of the Woolworth store (Source). The building is now the International Civil Rights Center & Museum - pic below from their website, along w/ images of the four men who participated in the sit-in - they were students at North Carolina A&T State University in the city. There is a statue of the four now on the campus of the same university.

An excellent permanent exhibit can be visited along w/ traveling exhibits - the institution has had some financial issues recently, unfortunately - Susan & I need to return - for those visiting Greensboro, a definite recommendation. Dave :)

ICRCM_WoolworthBldy.png ICRCM_Chairs.png ICRCM_CounterPortrait.png ICRCM_Website.png ICRCM_Statue.png

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for some very interesting early history of the civil rights movement.

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Glad that you liked the post - thanks for your continued interests in my travelogues - thought that we would have had some North Carolina members 'chime in' w/ some questions or further comments - oh well - :)

There are a few more topics to mention, so will put together another post soon - Dave

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Education Institutions in Greensboro

Before proceeding w/ the title topic, let me mention that the city has an excellent Science Center w/ a museum, aquarium, and zoo - I've not been there in years, but certainly a recommended attraction, especially if kids are in need of entertainment!

For the size of Greensboro, the town has many varied higher centers of learning, both undergraduate and graduate programs are available - quoted before just a brief description of the main institutions (all Wiki sources) - the campuses are nice walks - one major highlight is the Weatherspoon Art Museum on the UNCG campus (a couple pics below) - other images self-explanatory.

For the moment, this will be my last post to this thread but I'll be glad to respond to questions and add more information, if needed. Of course, there are two other interesting towns in the Triad Area of North Carolina, i.e. High Point and Winston-Salem (where we live), so might start a new thread; and I've not even talked about Charlotte, the largest city in the state. Dave :)

GSO1a_Schools.png GSO2a_UNCGSign.png GSO2b_UNCGCampus.png GSO2c_Weatherspoon.png GSO2d_WeatherspoonGallery.png GSO3a_GuilfordSign.png GSO3b_GuilfordCollege.png GSO3c_GuilfordCollegeCampus.png GSO4a_NCATTSign.png GSO4b_NCATT_Logo.png GSO4c_NCATTCampus.png GSO4d_NCATT_Aggies.png

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Weatherspoon Art Museum - Some New Exhibits!

Susan & I are doing a Greensboro overnight - staying at the O. Henry Hotel again (discussed in a previous post) and will soon be dining at the Green Valley Grill - if a 'whole fish' is available, as usual, then likely my choice!

But our main purpose for the visit this time was to see a number of exhibits at the Weatherspoon Art Museum on the UNCG campus. The main exhibit was from the William Louis-Dreyfus Collection of self-taught artists - Louis-Dreyfus is a French-born American businessman and billionaire who's eponymous Foundation's "mission ...is to educate the public about the importance of art and to increase public awareness of self-taught and emerging artists." The first quote below is a description of the show along w/ just several of the MANY art works that were present (all quotes from the first link above).
    WeatherspoonArtMuseum.png

InsideOutside01_med.jpg InsideOutside02_med.jpg InsideOutside03_med.jpg
    The second exhibit was curated by Ellsworth Kelly (who passed away this year) and included numerous drawings (some partial sketches; others more complete) of the French artist, Henri Matisse - second quote below, along w/ a couple of pics.

MatisseKelly01NEW_med.jpg MatisseKelly02_med.jpg
    In addition in another room was a small collection of lithographs and small bronze sculptures (two shown below) from the museum's permanent collection of Matisse works, donated by the famous Cone sisters - description in the third quote. For those in the area w/ an interest in art - these two exhibits will not be at the museum much longer - admission is free (donations accepted), as is parking. Dave :)

Matisse2016_01.jpg Matisse2016_03.jpg