Greensboro & Guilford Courthouse Battlefield

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Jul 13, 2014.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Just a short thread for those who may be passing through North Carolina and are interested in the American Revolutionary War.

In the food thread, I mentioned that Susan & I had an anniversary celebration, i.e. an overnight in a nice hotel w/ a dinner at the Green Valley Grill a few days ago in Greensboro - well, on the way in (just a 45 minute drive from our home) we visited the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park which is now in Greensboro - mainly went to see the excellent film about the battle and also walk the grounds for some exercise (below a map of the trails & paths in the park).

In the late 1770s, the American Revolutionary War was stalemated in the north, so a British Southern Campaign was initiated in 1778 w/ the capture of Savannah, GA, followed by Charleston, SC in early 1780; through 1780 into 1781, a number of battles were fought in the Carolinas (see map below - I've added the dates) - Nathaniel Greene was the Major General in charge of the Americans (which included regulars of the Continental Army & local militia from a number of states); Lord Charles Cornwallis led the British.

The Battle of Guilford Courthouse was the largest and most important in this campaign - a technical victory for Cornwallis, BUT he lost a quarter of his army (killed, injured, or captured); the Americans came out unscathed. The British dragged themselves into Wilmington, NC to recover, and then advanced north to Yorktown, VA - the delay needed by Cornwallis to rebuild his force was enough for George Washington to bring his army from the north to Yorktown and for the French forces (largely their fleet) to get into position - a siege ensued and on October 19, 1781, the British surrender to the 'allied' forces - the Paris Peace Treaty was not negotiated until 1783 but the war was over at Yorktown. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 10.49.45 AM.png Guilford_Courthouse_Park_-_old_map.jpg image001.jpg
    nathaniel_greene_large_large.jpg cornwallis-lord-charles-by-thomas-gainsborough-wcpd.jpg

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Another great post giradman! I've learned a lot about American history by reading your excellent posts. Thank you.

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    At the time of the battle described in the opening post, Guilford Courthouse was just a small community, i.e. Greensboro did NOT exist, but was established in the early 19th century (see quote below from HERE); of course, the town was named after Nathaniel Greene, and is now the third largest city in North Carolina (w/ our town, Winston-Salem, the fourth - Charlotte & Raleigh are the top two in that order).

In the military park along many of those paths & trails are plaques to read and monuments - the largest one is of Nathaniel Greene on a horse (my pic below); another is of Joseph Winston who was a militia officer from Stokes County - he fought bravely in the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, and his last name is the Winston-Salem in our city moniker; Salem was the larger of the Moravian communities (founded in the 1760s) in the area - the two towns merged in 1913 w/ the hyphenated name.

North Carolina now has over 120 wineries and about 100 breweries w/ some excellent beer producers in the Piedmont Triad - one of my favorites is Natty Greene (named after you now know who!) - love their Buckshot - Dave :)

.P1020019.JPG
    Joseph_Winston_monument_Guilford_Court_House_National_Military_Park.JPG
    NattyGreenes-Front.JPG images-2.jpeg

4. cecilrwilliams

cecilrwilliams
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I live in High Point, Greensboro neighbor. Great parks; however, budgets cuts are hurting all parks. Public donations may be their only hope.

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Scifan.. - well, a lot of that information was at my fingertips, just had to check on the exact dates - I've dragged Susan to all of those places on the one map w/ the dates (and even additional ones in NC). Dave :)

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Hello from Winston-Salem - yep, I here you - for those not aware of some of these issues, check this CNN article from last year - Dave :)

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Greensboro Hotels - O.Henry & Proximity

Boy, I did not take this travelogue along, just mentioned Guilford Courthouse Battlefield.

But Greensboro in the Triad Area of North Carolina offers much and is just a 40 minute drive from our house in Winston-Salem - when there are happenings in Greensboro, e.g. traveling art exhibit, entertainment event, or a quick holiday get-away, we might do an overnight stay at one of the two hotels above which are just blocks from each other and are run by the same company, but the properties have entirely different personalities and excellent restaurants.

Yesterday, Susan & I went to the O.Henry Hotel and dined for Thanksgiving at the Green Valley Grill - both of these hotels and their respective restaurants are fairly new establishments and are near the Friendly Shopping Center, which has the Triad's only Apple Store! The O.Henry has an 'old age' appearance w/ a lot of beautiful wood - views below of the outside entrance, the lobby, bar, and the restaurant; a nice self-serve continental breakfast is included in your stay.

At the Green Valley Grill, a small salad w/ a light homemade dressing is included; Susan had the main course described in the quote below. I had the seafood special, an amberjack grilled fish moderately spiced w/ an avocado salsa, polenta, an baby green beans. Also for me, a glass each of two Alsatian white wines (their single glass wine menu is superb and varied - wines that I had described in the quote); for dessert, we always share the Nutty Irishman (see quote below) - really to 'die for' looking at the pic! :)

The Proximity Hotel is more art deco decor w/ exposed pipes & ducts - a completely different visual feeling which I like (Susan loves the woodiness of the O.Henry); their restaurant is the Print Works Bistro, which is a treat also (but they do not offer the 'Nutty Irishman' for dessert); some images below.

SO, for those visiting Greensboro, North Carolina and need a 4-diamond place to stay near an Apple Store, then my obvious recommendation would be one of these hotels - also, need to add some more posts to this thread discussing the many attractions in our 'sister town' - Dave :)

OHenry_Outside.pngOHenry_Lobby.pngOHenry_Bar.pngOHenry_GreenVlyGrill.pngOHenry_NuttyIrishman.pngProximityHotel.pngProximity_Lobby.pngPrintWorksBistro.png

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    O.Henry Hotel - What does that Period Mean?

Not sure if anyone is wondering why the O.Henry Hotel is spelled w/ a period between the O & the Henry (or if one cares - ;))?

But O.Henry was an American short story writer who was born in Greensboro, NC - his real name was William Sydney Porter (1862-1910) - first quote below from his Wiki Article - his short stories were a RAGE at the times - I've not read any since my teen days, but some looking at this post may be familiar w/ his writings. The origin of his 'pen name' is uncertain, but a possibility is given in the second quote (same source). Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 6.23.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 6.24.14 PM.png

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Oh Henry! Candy Bar

Well, just one last story possibly (but likely not) related to the writer O. Henry - the wonderful chocolate/peanut bar below (some history in the quote) which I consumed many times as a kid eludes to our Greensboro native - probably no relationship, but who knows? If you're reading this post, have you eaten an Oh Henry bar? :) Dave

Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 9.02.22 PM.png

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Title Change to the Tread w/ Greensboro Emphasized!

I've changed the title to this thread w/ Greensboro as the lead name - I'd like to continue periodically adding posts about this Triad city - there are many attractions for those who may be visiting the area - Dave :)