What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Little War Game

slushduck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I was hooked on it for about a month or so, but found the levels to be too linear for my tastes. It is a well polished game though, which I feel was worth the price regardless.

Paa100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it is awesome. Every time i get to the end, a new set of missions are released. Some are really hard, especially on the hard setting. Great value. Hours of fun.

slushduck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, GLWG is great value, i had lots of satisfying fun playing thru all the mission packs.

For similar games which are not so linear, I'd recommend Battle for Wesnoth hd, and I've got my eye on Military Madness: Neo Nectaris. However that one is starting to sound like a bad port of the original TG-16 version sadly.

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So I downloaded the lite version to get a feel for it before deciding if I want to buy the full version. It's a good game, but it's difficult (at least for me). I am already stuck in the demo on the 4th level. The enemy just keeps sending in more and more troops and I cannot keep up with them.

Is the full version even more difficult than the demo? If so, this may not be the game for me.

slushduck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the lite version is a good indicator for how the rest of the game plays out. For level 4 I think I focused on engineers in the beginning to secure the middle, top left and bottom left rigs. They need to ride the jeeps to get there fast. Then protect those groups with one sniper each. Then you can advance to the right, securing the other 2 groups of rigs. At that point you can take the enemy base, or simply starve them of oil.

I wouldn't say the game was too difficult, just that it may take a couple of iterations to figure out how one is supposed to do it. I guess that's what I meant by "linear" in my earlier post.
Later in the game I felt that the missions required more aggressive tactics, and if you tried to play it safe you would end up getting overwhelmed.

Hope that helps!

slushduck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh yeah, you might already be aware of this (I didn't realize this till later) but guys have a certain number of movement points which can be used before and after shooting.
So a guy can, for example: move one space, shoot, then retreat.

This turned out to be very helpful!

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. Using the jeeps for my engineers helped me finally beat level 4. Quick question - is there a way to regain energy/health?

Last edited:

torontorocko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hawk 8 said:
I tried a new strategy and got a gold trophy. This is game is one of the best app games available! I cant wait for more updates.

What strategy did you use for level 18?
I cleared the level, but no metal.

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on beating mission 17? (The one where you have to raise $3,000 in oil)

slushduck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For #17 I remember taking advantage of those little grey "paths" behind the mountains to the north,south,east and west.
Specifically the North and the East path. If you jam them up with a jeep or two, and protect them with Artillery you should be able to hold all the rigs.
Good luck!

Buzzrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Movement rules aren't very obvious

Hi. This is a great game. I've been looking for a decent TBS on the iphone for ages.
Unfortunately the terrain movement rules aren't obvious to me. How do you know when a troop can climb up or down a terrain level. I've been hamstrung multiple times running a troop around in circles trying to figure out a path up a hill. Is there anything out there which explains this stuff?
Also it would be good to be able to see the movement/attack range of any unit (including enemy units).

Cheers
Buzzrick

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi. This is a great game. I've been looking for a decent TBS on the iphone for ages.
Unfortunately the terrain movement rules aren't obvious to me. How do you know when a troop can climb up or down a terrain level. I've been hamstrung multiple times running a troop around in circles trying to figure out a path up a hill. Is there anything out there which explains this stuff?
Also it would be good to be able to see the movement/attack range of any unit (including enemy units).

Cheers
Buzzrick

1. To climb up/down terrain, there is usually a spot on the ground that is darker in color than the rest of ground. You need to climb up/down terrains from those spots.

2. To see the attack range of your unit or enemies, press and hold over the person you want to see.

Most reactions