What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gray vertical line when screen stretched

seattlecosmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whenever I stretch a screen to make it larger, I notice a thick horizontal gray line in the middle of the screen that resembles a scroll bar. However, it blocks content every time I flick the screen. Is this a feature that can be disabled, or is my iPad defective? Thanks for any advice.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whenever I stretch a screen to make it larger, I notice a thick horizontal gray line in the middle of the screen that resembles a scroll bar. However, it blocks content every time I flick the screen. Is this a feature that can be disabled, or is my iPad defective? Thanks for any advice.

Does this grey horizontal line remain there permanently? i.e. does it always appear? We have certainly had reports of screen defects where there are horizontal lines of pixels that permanently either on or off or in some other state but they have always remained permanently in that state.

From your description it appears as though this horizontal grey line is not always present and that, more or less, rules out a hardware fault.

Tim

OP
S

seattlecosmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It only appears when the screen is enlarged by pinching it wider. Seems like it's a feature, but I can't find any reference to it in the manual or anywhere else.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Never seen that on any of our iPads. Sounds suspiciously like a fault. :(

Would definitely take it into my local apple store and have it checked.

Jerseydani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like scroll bar

Mine is doing this as well. I have an Ipad3 and this just started yesterday. Seems like a side scroll bar to me also. It'sextremely annoying. Hopefully it is not a hardware issue.

dachas1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This problem also appeared on my iPad tonight. Gray horizontal bar that shows up on the screen while scrolling with an expanded display in Safari. Strangely, the bar shrinks in size as the display is expanded further. Definitely not a hardware issue. Has anyone a clue after all this time has elapsed since the issue was first raised?

fuschiagirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This problem also appeared on my iPad tonight. Gray horizontal bar that shows up on the screen while scrolling with an expanded display in Safari. Strangely, the bar shrinks in size as the display is expanded further. Definitely not a hardware issue. Has anyone a clue after all this time has elapsed since the issue was first raised?

This problem occurred with my iPad 2 today. Has anyone resolved it?

Most reactions