What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gps

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just downloaded Navfree from the apps store, I haven't tried it yet but it was free and also noticed that it sucked up almost 2gig worth of memory

Last edited:
OP
SCCAguy

SCCAguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
blucente said:
I just downloaded Navfree from the apps store, I haven't tried it yet but it was free and also noticed that it sucked up almost 2gig worth of memory

I will be eager to hear how well (or not well) it works.
SCCAguy

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah but I think I'm going to remove it, it's taking up some valuable memory which I can't afford to give up.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The NavFree app includes a map and maybe an address database. That means it works offline as well as when you have an internet connection. The lighter Map apps will only work if you have an internet connection, at least when you are setting up the trip. Most of them will work offline after the trip is computed.

You won't find a full offline GPS navigation app much smaller than NavFree. It's the nature of the beast.

There are lots of GPS navigation apps of various types. Many are free, or provide limited light versions. It depends on what you want to do with them, so if you were a bit more specific about what you want the app for, you might get more recommendations.

However, as far as I know, NavFree is the only free car navigation app with full offline maps. Some versions may still require internet for address lookup. The USA version does not, but it's unclear whether this recent update applies to all regions.

OP
SCCAguy

SCCAguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
The NavFree app includes a map and maybe an address database. That means it works offline as well as when you have an internet connection. The lighter Map apps will only work if you have an internet connection, at least when you are setting up the trip. Most of them will work offline after the trip is computed.

You won't find a full offline GPS navigation app much smaller than NavFree. It's the nature of the beast.

There are lots of GPS navigation apps of various types. Many are free, or provide limited light versions. It depends on what you want to do with them, so if you were a bit more specific about what you want the app for, you might get more recommendations.

However, as far as I know, NavFree is the only free car navigation app with full offline maps. Some versions may still require internet for address lookup. The USA version does not, but it's unclear whether this recent update applies to all regions.

My hope was to find a GPS app that would give me turn-by-turn guidance while in a car and on a trip.
Thanks,
SCCAguy

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you pay for the 3G service, and don't stray too far from service, almost any nav app will work.

I like Motion X GPS Drive, but while the app itself is cheap at 99 cents, turn by turn audio is an in-app subscription. Only 2.99 a month, but you wanted free.

Nick Burns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have NavFree... yes it's a huge download. It has trouble locating my home and finding my work addresses. I've read where others have had better luck, though. That's the only testing I've done with it and haven't actually used it to find a place I don't know.

OP
SCCAguy

SCCAguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
If you pay for the 3G service, and don't stray too far from service, almost any nav app will work.

I like Motion X GPS Drive, but while the app itself is cheap at 99 cents, turn by turn audio is an in-app subscription. Only 2.99 a month, but you wanted free.

OK, I checked out Motion X and I bought the $2.99 version. I do think I'll like it.
Many thanks for the suggestion.
SCCAguy

OP
SCCAguy

SCCAguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Motion X. I'm wondering if I can get driving directions on it.
SCCAguy

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK I have Motion X HD and Motion X Drive. These are nice but did not provide voice turn by turn unless you pay for it. Also they do not download the maps which mean you need some sort of internet connect.

I also have Navfree USA and Canada. These provide voice turn by turn for free. Also they both down load all the maps so no internet connect is required.

I like all of them and each of them have their our uses.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SCCAguy

Motion X sells two GPS apps.... GPS HD and GPS Drive HD.. Which one did you get?

GPS HD is for hiking and doesn't provide street by street driving directions, GPS Drive does.....

OP
SCCAguy

SCCAguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SCCAguy said:
SCCAguy

OK, it's me being stupid. I got the wrong Motion X. Now I have the right one, and I like it.
SCCAguy

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually it's good to have both the Motion X apps.. (I have both myself).

The 'GPS Drive' app is perfect for street by street car navigation and the GPS HD app has some extra features geared for hiking and geocaching... What I like about GPS HD is that you can choose between the Bing or Google road and satellite views. GPS Drive only gives you Bing maps and satellite view.

Most reactions