What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
does my iPad 3 have a GPS feature? If so, how to find and use it?
If your iPad 3 is a WiFi + Cellular iPad it does have GPS capability. It will work with the native maps app or with any mapping apps available from the App Store. Most map apps allow downloading of maps for offline use, for when you don't have a WiFi or cellular data connection. GRS works independently of any cellular data plan. In fact you don't even need an installed SIM card for it to work.

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Many thanks Scifan. No my iPad3 does not have cellular, so will have a look in maps, but do they give info like the GPS. .?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many thanks Scifan. No my iPad3 does not have cellular, so will have a look in maps, but do they give info like the GPS. .?
If you're in range of several known WiFi hotspots, you'll get a triangulated position that's reasonably accurate in areas with lots of WiFi hotspots. In other places you won't be able to see an accurate position.

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you're in range of several known WiFi hotspots, you'll get a triangulated position that's reasonably accurate in areas with lots of WiFi hotspots. In other places you won't be able to see an accurate position.
OK, thanks . Guess I had better stick to my Garmin . I just thought perhaps my iPad could do it all, saving one extra gadget.
Really appreciate your help.

Most reactions

Latest posts