What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gps to get elevation?

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know if there's a way to get ones precise elevation using the gps functionality of the iPad?
Google maps perhaps?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you live but I have the app 'UK Maps' which gives GPS-derived elevation too. However, as I'm sure you're aware, the elevation reported by GPS is not as accurate as the latitude and longitude simply as a result of geometrical considerations.

Tim

OP
G

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanx tim,
I'm in Canada and Google maps doesn't seem to give that info. I thought that if this data had been available it would be based on accurate measurements already made and correlated to a GPS position, not a GPS measurement of elevation.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - I see where you're coming from. Hadn't thought of that!! I spend a lot of my time flying and so get used to not relying on GPS altitude. But if you're on the ground then, as you correctly suggest, the GPS location on the map could then be used with an accurate cartiological altitude measurement.

Tim

jayzap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if this is what u want. I am using Runtastic app for tracking and it also record altitude along with other measurements.

Most reactions