What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS apps for the iPad

JJTandoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to know what the good apps are for GPS. I just got an iPad2 and an iPhone4. My DROID telephone died on me last night or at least something very BAD happened. I liked my DROID because of the built in GPS app it had.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to know what the good apps are for GPS. I just got an iPad2 and an iPhone4. My DROID telephone died on me last night or at least something very BAD happened. I liked my DROID because of the built in GPS app it had.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks!

Do you have the 3G or WiFi iPad? Only the 3G iPad has built-in GPS. The iPad has a built-in app, called Maps that utilises the GPS if it's available. Otherwise it tries to use WiFi hotspot locations to provide an approximate position.

Tim

PS I moved your post to a new thread

OP
J

JJTandoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a WiFi iPad2 but I also have a HotSpot for internet access. So internet access is not an issue for my iPad2. If there is a GPS program on the iPad2 is there one on the iPhone4 as well?

OP
J

JJTandoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the DROID, the GPS app allowed you to see "traffic patterns". At also had a satellite view. You could create favorite locations and many other things. I don't think the Maps App for anything Apple allows for this.

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
JJTandoc said:
I have a WiFi iPad2 but I also have a HotSpot for internet access. So internet access is not an issue for my iPad2. If there is a GPS program on the iPad2 is there one on the iPhone4 as well?

There are several for IOS that store all maps and POI's on the phone. So far all updates (program and new maps) have been at no charge. For the most part they are regionalized by country or zone. For example I have US and Canada for one of them. I have on my iPhone and iPad both TomTom and Navigon. One purchase price and I was able to install the program on both units for a one time charge. The Navigon app is a + app in that it is optimized for both iPad and iPhone, and is most impressive on the iPad. TomTom works well on both units. In addition I have done several in app purchases on both apps, traffic for both and panoramic view on Navigon. Traffic is only usable on a 3G unit.
There'd are other apps available but for the most part they do not store on board but require a constant connection and will drain data minutes, unless traffic is used these to programs on 3G or tethering drain nothing, or next to nothing. As a side note, TomTom and Navigon own quite a large share of the both the IOS market as well as the stand alone market.
There are also several forums to go too when looking for information on both of these apps, GPS passion, TomTom has two, TomTom discussions based in the UK, is rather new, TomTom forums being the second one. The TomTom discussions seems to linked via the TomTom UK site and it's iPhone section is one of the best I have scene.

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/Default.asp
http://www.tomtomforums.com/
http://discussions.tomtom.com/

Sent from my iPhone/iPad using iPF

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just as a point of interest... The WiFi only iPad has no GPS receiver and as such is incapable of picking up the orbiting global positioning satellites that make up the Global Positioning System (GPS).

The WiFi only iPad determines its location by detecting nearby WiFi hotspots and then using them to determine its position through triangulation. When you activate 'Location Services', you are not activating GPS.. The WiFi location system works well in populated areas where there are a lot of hot spots about, but the accuracy drops rapidly as you move away from major centers.... If you ever go out in the boonies with no WiFi spots available, you won't be able to determine your position.

I don't think any of the dedicated GPS apps will work with a WiFi only iPad because it has no GPS receiver.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jwt873 said:
Just as a point of interest... The WiFi only iPad has no GPS receiver and as such is incapable of picking up the orbiting global positioning satellites that make up the Global Positioning System (GPS).

The WiFi only iPad determines its location by detecting nearby WiFi hotspots and then using them to determine its position. When you activate 'Location Services', you are not activating GPS.. The WiFi system works well in populated areas where there are a lot of hot spots about, but the accuracy drops rapidly as you move away from major centers.... If you ever go out in the boonies with no WiFi spots available, you won't be able to determine your position.

I don't think any of the dedicated GPS apps will work with a WiFi only iPad because it has no GPS receiver.

However there are 3rd party solutions to this.

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JJTandoc said:
What are the third party solutions?

See here:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/5870-Bluetooth-Receiver-iPhone-touch/dp/B004DDX66K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307375876&sr=8-1[/ame]

I believe that other companies have similar devices to suit the iPad.

The Archangel

miatadan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Just returned my white ipad 2 16gb wi-fi because I did not realize until reading this forum that only the Wi-Fi + 3G has gps receiver in it....

Garmin has released StreetPilot Onboard that stores mapping on ipad itself and not needing to use your data plan ))))

Is it possible to use a Wi-Fi + 3G without getting a data plan? Waiting for more affordable data plans ( Canada )

Dan

note: already miss the ipad I returned - 14 day return policy at Future Shop / today 13th day and was close call

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You need a data plan to use 3G.. But the internal GPS receiver will work without 3G being enabled.

The Navfree Canada app is free and does a pretty good job. It loads its maps on the system so you don't need to have a 3G plan in order to download maps as you drive.

Most reactions

Latest posts