GPS App

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by padnewbie, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Somerled

Somerled
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    You can download the maps within MotionX before you leave wifi and use them offline. I do it all the time. you can set whatever limit you wish on the size of the maps.

2. Yarrenbool

Yarrenbool
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have installed/purchased multiple GPS apps on my iPad 2. MotionX, Copiliot, NavFree, Navigon, GoogleMaps, Maps, etc.

I have not as yet found TomTom for the iPad, only for iPhone. If it has an iPad screen, not just a 2X iPhone screen then I'll get it also. I had really high hopes for TomTom and Copilot as I'd used them on previous mobile devices.

Of the bunch I keep going back to Navigon. It has things I definitely don't like, but the others have more things I don't like so in balance it's Navigon that I keep using. For me none of them come close to being a "really great" GPS app. Navigon is however "good".

If I was forced to keep but one GPS app then I'd keep Navigon.

Based in Canada using iPad 2 64GB WiFi-3G but without a SIM can in it.

I also own a Magellan GPS device - using the iPad makes you never want to go back to the 4" Magellan screen!:D

3. padnewbie

padnewbie
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    So I decided to try MotionX Drive (NavFree got some pretty bad reviews on the App Store) and I used it yesterday. I get 30 days of free voice turn by turn with it so I could really get a feel for it.
    The funny thing is I didn't activate my 3G yet however, I punched in the address at home over WiFi and it still worked perfectly!! It was downloaded before I left and it got me right to my destination!! It was AWESOME!!! I will activate my 3G though because it couldn't recalculate (obviously) when I went off the route but the graffics and the voice and the timing - everything was really great!! I loved it!! :) I don't travel too often that I need GPS so paying $2.99 a month should work great for me!
    And it's certainly a nice option for those who don't have 3G because it works off the GPS if you map it before you leave your wifi. Pretty cool!!

Now I just want to try to see if I can play it through my stereo with the adaptor I use for my music - that would be cool!! :)

Thanks for all your recommendations!! :) Love this forum!! :)

4. Somerled

Somerled
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    You do not have to activate 3G service for the GPS chip to work. In fact, you dont even have to turn it on.

5. jwt873

jwt873
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I connect the iPad to my stereo. (Voice guidance sounds great over the stereo).

The GPS Drive app integrates beautifully with the iPad's audio output... I listen to downloaded/ripped music with the iPod app and I stream internet radio via 3G with the 'Tune In' radio app when I'm in the car.

You have an option in the GPS Drive menu to have the voice guidance announcements pause the music while the voice guidance instructions take place and then resume it when it's done.. Or, you can have the voice guidance sound over top of what you're listening to. In this case, you are able to adjust the volume of your music and the GPS voice to get the right mix in levels.