What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got ipad yesterday, worth jailbreaking?

iDuffin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I got my ipad3 16gb wifi yesterday it was brand new from the shop and I was wondering wether I should jailbreak I have a iPod 4th gen and iPhone 4s both jail broken on ios 5.1.1
Please help me decide
P.S I'm new here ;)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there...I am going to move this out of the Polls to the Hack section where you will get better attention.

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is really a question only you can answer. You have two devices which are already jailbroken so you're familiar with the process. Personally, I love it!

OP
iDuffin

iDuffin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Hi there...I am going to move this out of the Polls to the Hack section where you will get better attention.

Thanks

OP
iDuffin

iDuffin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HappyPelican said:
This is really a question only you can answer. You have two devices which are already jailbroken so you're familiar with the process. Personally, I love it!

Yes I'll take that into intress when I get back from holiday I will most likely jailbreak the ipad

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the jailbreak for the 4S and the iPad3 are identical. One click in Absinthe or redsn0w will do it.

Check our our iPad specific areas, because the one thing which is different is that you cannot just install all iPhone tweaks or themes on the iPad and expect them to work the same. Just do a little research first.

These will help - Jailbreak Applications & Tweaks
iPad Themes

And finally - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/25824-ultimate-list-jailbreak-tweaks.html

Good luck!

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally if it's brand new I would say leave it for now. 6 months into mine and my home button has started acting up, thank god for warranty. If you already get your jb fix from your phone don't worry about doing the iPad until you start to get bored on it. I'm doing mine soon but I have to get it repaired soon as I don't want to jb and then that mess up my warranty. These are expensive bits of equipment and repairs are not cheap.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally if it's brand new I would say leave it for now. 6 months into mine and my home button has started acting up, thank god for warranty. If you already get your jb fix from your phone don't worry about doing the iPad until you start to get bored on it. I'm doing mine soon but I have to get it repaired soon as I don't want to jb and then that mess up my warranty. These are expensive bits of equipment and repairs are not cheap.

Your warranty is only void if you were foolish enough to take the device back to the Apple store obviously jailbroken and ask for a repair.
Connecting any jailbroken iPad to iTunes and pressing "restore" will also restore your warranty as if by magic. At least, by the same magic with which Apple miraculously voided it when you jailbroke ;) A restored iPad has no trace anywhere on the device that it was once jailbroken. Even with broken hardware it is possible to mask the jailbroken status of a device. If anyone ever gets into that situation we can easily help them here.

I am the first to admit that jailbreaking is not for everyone and folks should be free to choose what to do for themselves, but in my 5 years of jailbreaking devices I have yet to discover anyone who actually fell foul of the "voided warranty" scaremongering which surrounds the jailbreak.

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Your warranty is only void if you were foolish enough to take the device back to the Apple store obviously jailbroken and ask for a repair.
Connecting any jailbroken iPad to iTunes and pressing "restore" will also restore your warranty as if by magic. At least, by the same magic with which Apple miraculously voided it when you jailbroke ;) A restored iPad has no trace anywhere on the device that it was once jailbroken. Even with broken hardware it is possible to mask the jailbroken status of a device. If anyone ever gets into that situation we can easily help them here.

I am the first to admit that jailbreaking is not for everyone and folks should be free to choose what to do for themselves, but in my 5 years of jailbreaking devices I have yet to discover anyone who actually fell foul of the "voided warranty" scaremongering which surrounds the jailbreak.

That's interesting to know, I used to jailbreak a lot around the days of 2.0.1 to 3.0 firmware on my old iPod and I heard lots of scare stories, that little iPod was great and I had it jb and tweaked better than I ever could imagine. I was hacking the thing left right and centre manually installing .deb files (i think?) etc and it was invincible. In the end I sold it bought an iPhone and that eventually had a hardware fault with error 1309 I think. I left apple products alone but could not resist the iPad 2 any longer, but I paid full price nearly £600 and two months later the iPad 3 came along haha.
Still I wouldn't say never jailbreak I'm just leaving mine for a little while till I get the issues sorted out.

Most reactions

Latest posts