What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got Ipad 3G to work with BSNL in Chennai, India

chandar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad 3G works like a charm in Chennai, India.

The process

Needed a Copy of photo id / address proof and two photos, went to a BSNL franchisee in Chennai

Sim cost Rs 59 (US$1.25!). First recharge coupon Rs 120 (< US$3) . Gives a 6 month validity. (you can get the sim free - refer Chennai Telephones-free 3G gift)

Put the SIM into a non-3G phone, waited for the activation of the sim - make sure you can make outgoing calls and receive incoming calls

Once activated - recharged Rs 275 (US$6) - (0.5GB prepaid data plan validity 30days)

Balance check through *123# received two replies - one a message about talk time balance and connection validity - another message from 50030 about 100 local SMS free + approx 700 MB free for GPRS usage (500 MB I paid for and 200MB BSNL gives free for the first recharge) and 100 minutes local video call free)

Then went through the process of cutting the BSNL sim to the microsim size. The SIM BSNL gave me was larger than most other normal sims! Cut in such a way to make sure that none of the golden color contact area is damaged. Refer following link with photos
Convert Mini SIM in to Micro SIM for iPad 3G iPhone 4 | iPad
How To Convert a SIM to a MicroSIM with a Meat Cleaver!

Put it in the microsim tray of ipad

Go to Settiings --> cellular data --> APN enter bsnlnet
Leave username and password blank

Takes a few seconds to search for the BSNL network. You see Cellone 3G and signal strength bars

Open Safari and start surfing. Very decent speeds. Tested in T.nagar, Adyar & Thiruvanmiyur. Works well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
help please

hi...i am also from chennai with a bsnl 3G prepaid card. would the ipad bought in the US work here ? Or would it be tied up only with AT&T ??The price is atleast 15,000/- more here in chennai (grey market) than the US.
please advice ...

OP
C

chandar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, I was traveling.

I bought my Ipad in the US. It works here with BSNL 3G sim without any jailbreaking. Ipad is not locked to AT&T unlike the Iphone as there is no carrier subsidy.

If you have someone coming from US ask them to bring it for you. I do not prefer to buy it in the grey market.

3G works well in Chennai, but it did not work in Mumbai.

shanku62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi how do u cut the bsnl sim in to micro sim u did it all r any one doing it;i also live inchennai

Harmon_bro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to recharge iPad data plan

Hi I got the iPad2 from the US and a bsnl card from here Chennai. I opted for the 599 pPre paid plan. Nome what I'm would like to know is how do I recharge the iPad data plan every month. Is there any way to do it online?

Thanks.

tkr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this forum and i am facing the same problem. I have a micro sim data card from BSNL Chennai which is prepaid 3G. I don't know how to check usage. Can any one help?

cckamal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heyy chandar,

Thanks a lot for the information,i need one more suggestion from you,most of the time ill be in my office and i use my laptop very rarely i use my ipad,so guide me a better plan for 3g?? which service provider is cheap,i donot want unlimited per month i will be useing not more than 10 hrs.

guide me plzzz

and one more question,i cant able to update my ios ,now oam useing 4.3 ,when ever i upgrade it will dowload full and finally it says check ur netwrk connection ,why it is happeneing and when ever iam connecting my i pad with my office wifi ,every 5 mins its disconnecting i dono why,if you know the answer just reply me plzz

regards
kamal.c sugunaraj

gurnani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are so many shops in local chennai which own the SIM cutters to convert to MINI SIM Cards. 100 buks they charge to cut.

OP
C

chandar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@cckamal

Simply buy a prepaid simcard without any plan (see if BSNL will provide you a mini simcard without the ipad plan, if they wont provide microsim without ipad plan - buy a standard sim and cut it as explained above). then use data recharge for Rs 100 - this gives 225mb of data with 15 day validity. Should suit your purpose. Bsnl is best in terms of cost and coverage if you travel much. You can try aircel if you plan to use it only in chennai.

Update using your laptop - first download the whole ios file (with an extension .ipa ) using your cable - make sure your laptop (or pc) usb is not configured to turn off to save power. Should work.

gurnani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don tho for aircel. The whole company is a crook. When I bought it the website showed some unlimited 7.2 Mbps for 3G sim in about 1400pm inr. But slowly as per their popularity gains, they slowed down their speeds without any notifications on the speed to me or any other users.

vaamanan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am visiting chennai during april from London. I have a unlocked Ipad 2 3G and Iphone 4s.

My question is, can I get a micro sim with voice and 3G data download for my Iphone 4s and use the PERSONAL HOTSPOT in my Iphone 4s to connect to my Ipad for browsing in my Ipad?

Has anyone tried this?

senthildent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes its possible , but i think the call charges will be say around Re.1 per min. But before buying the micro-sim , tell the bsnl guys that you're going to use the sim for data purposes only(but voice will also work). Its better you carry the ipad to the BSNL customer centre if buying from then since they physically verify the device to prevent misuse . Good luck

pdg1953

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i got microsim from BSNL, Jamshedpur, Jharkhand for my new ipad 2. It is working reasoanably well but intermittently it goes to E mode from 3G mode when speed of net reduces. My problem is how to check balance?
My another suggestion is why not form India ipad forum-i have already suggested that in another thread

Most reactions